Hi, guys just thought leave you something to think about over the weekend...As a 7/8 month old baby I have vivid memories of being in my cot, I can remember my mum moving about the room and switching on and placing a room small radio by my head as I lay there while she worked...I can sense and feel the atmosphere of the 60's era and the environment in the room and have a knowing of not being alone....

What are your very first memories and how old were you? Looking forwards to some interesting memories... ;)

Edited by karmadestiny

I have a vague recollection of my cot, a dingy yellow colour with some red and blue beads which slid along at one end.

The first vivid memory I have is falling up the steps in our back garden and grazing my knee. It must have been before I was 2 years old, as we moved from that house just after my 2nd birthday. I don't remember the move at all. When I was in my teens I revisted the house not knowing at the time that I used to live there. I recall having a weird dejavu feeling and seeing those steps again brought back the memory very powerfully and it has remained with me ever since.

I remember my mum making my milk purple by putting food colouring in it, and eating little cubes of Smash instant mash from the floor. I remember there was a room I wasn't allowed to enter because the floorboards weren't safe, and that room was bare, save for mum's huge art folio thing. Around the same period I remember losing my shoe in the kind elderly butcher's field and him spending ages trying to find it. His house had a small kitchen and then a living room with big leather settees and a huge painting of a bull. This would have been when I was around two. In the same village I went to a play group in a dusty wooden church hall, and I remember the light suffused colourfully through the stained glass window.

She made the milk green, too. She warmed it up and I still had it in a bottle. I remember the bedroom. It was smallish and dominated by a large wooden bed which I shared with my mum. I remember mum telling me that I was too big for a dummy, but I don't think I ditched it at that stage. The floor of the kitchen was tiled, almost cobbled, because it was quite uneven. I don't remember the room between the kitchen and the entrance to the stairs. I don't know why. But I remember the kitchen, the stairs, the bedroom and the other forbidden room. I remember the forbidden room best. Funny, that, isn't it?

Edited by Mannify

Lots of them from a time my parents say given my age I could not possibly remember, but music notably as no tv in those days, it was the gramophone and radio and with my father it was Lebanese music, something he took a liking to as a mariner and what was on the radio in the late 1960's. With what came on the radio one piece of music was always in my mind and I found it again about ten years ago and it was Donovan's

so that would be 1968 and I was born late '67, but the music imparted on me a liking for psychodelia, sitars and haunting melodies, but my father's Lebanese stuff I now recognise in the Raqs Shaqi music I like and perhaps understand my desire to dance to this music is because the music inspires dance.

But I remember a cat visitation whilst in my pram, I was looking at it and it me through a screen in the sunlight and I have since always had cats. My lifelong addiction to coffee came from then as coffee cups placed on the floor I found and perhaps alcohol too as I remember the demijohns full of coloured liquid. My parents said I was into everything and they soon learned hide, and I will find.

Lying on my back on a woollen rug on grass in bright sunlight which was not pleasant at all. And being aware of a strong smell of damp dog which I quite liked. On reflection I would have been out in the garden of my grandparents and their dog would have been keeping an eye on me. The sensations are what are very vivid and a feeling of angst. I am not too sure if that is a totally valid recollection or something I transposed into a time and space.

My first memory I am not sure if it is a genuine memory or a memory of what I pictured in my head when the story was recounted within the family later on (as humerous tales often are). But it was my aunts wedding and I was not even 2 years old. I was in the hall where the reception was and my grandad was there, he went to the loo and I followed not knowing where he was going. The family tale is that I chased him into the gents shouting "Mike! Mike" which I sort of remember but that's where I think I remember being told rather than actual memory. The bit that I think is a genuine memory is once I chased him into the toilet I remember seeing the urinals and being puzzled as to what they were for. I'm glad my first memory is about my grandad, he was an amazing man.

My next definate memory is the day of my second birthday. I know it was that day because (family memory again) it was the day I got my very first pair of glasses. Myself and the little boy next door were being looked after out playing by a 15 yr old and 16 yr old across the road from us which is why our parents let us out the garden to play. The girls took us away from the street though so they could sneek cigarettes and gave us some. I didn't like it and wanted to go home but they took us somewhere else and I knew we shouldn't be going there or smoking etc so I ran away and made my way home, it was only a 1 min walk for an adult but a 2 year old it was a long way and there was a road right outside our house which I had to cross alone. I was then knocked over by a teenage boy on a bike and my first pair of glasses were smashed just hours after I got them. I don't remember the glasses getting smashed but as I said family tales - I do remember the boy on the bike however OUCH! I was lucky though just a boy on a bike nothing with an engine. Needless to say although I didn't tell my mum about the smoking she was not happy at the 2 girls not looking after us when they had promised to do so and I was not allowed to go with them again.

This is another early memory and today my mum said it had to have been before I was 18 months old. Mum cycled to my granny and grandad's house and I rode on the seat at the back. It was a high-backed red seat with a sort of embossed pattern on it, and it had armrests. We arrived at granny's and I remember granny giving me raw cabbage to play with in the kitchen, and I remember the open fire in the living room. Mum and I stayed in the room right at the top via what seemed like an unending amount of stairs. When we were settled, granny came in and said, "Goodnight, God bless".

I have difficulty recalling much more than just fragments of memories from when I was very young. Unfortunately, my most vivid memories from when I was younger are actually of the nightmares I frequently experienced and I have some rather terrifying ones that have really stuck with me (although they have at least given me some good ideas for films). I often wish I could recall some happier memories but they don't come that easily to me unfortunately :(

Raydon, Mannify, Skimrande, Lancslad, dekra and robertmannma,

Thanks guys for adding your memories...its really interesting that almost all of you have a recollection from the ages of 2 years...Mannify, your mum really was creative in her ways to colour to your feed even though she may not have realised the adverse affects of food colours on children in those days...My mum would def have tried the same had she thought of it she was well known to dip my sisters dummy in honey before placing it in her mouth or eating what was left of her tinned food or farleys rusks;)!...

robertmannma, I hope going back to that time didn't cause you any upset...but its interesting to see how childrens minds process their surroundings...thank you for adding even though your memories were not happy ones...much appreciated

My earliest memory is when I was about 2 and got given a toy outside of argos, I can remember being handed it and the pushchair I was in at the time, it was cold.

My earliest memory is of carrying a bucket full of wet sand on Sidmouth beach in Devon, aged 2. That said, there is a photograph of the said moment in the family album.

I can remember being in my pram, watching raindrops dropping off the tasselled canopy. I have lots of other memories of those first couple of years of my life - my dad (in a brick red shirt) carrying me up and down the landing singing to me to try and get me to sleep, my mum in her 'maternity smock' when she was expecting my brother, various long lost ornaments in the house, the orchard and gooseberry bushes, a neighbour who jokingly tried to pull off my nose (!), the horse-drawn dustcart, the sand in our beach chalet and the scent of evening primroses that I'd bring in, etc.

...All so long ago now, yet my strongest memories are from the 60s and 70s.