Sign in to follow this  
jools

we survived sports day

all was going well till the skipping race :(

he came to me, close to tears and said he didn't want to do it.

i said ok and asked the teacher to let one of the others go twice (they do everything in relay teams)

but oh no.....she knows best!!

she knows he is diagnosed as dyspraxic even if she is burying her head in the sand over everything else.

she told him (crossly) that he was doing it and if he didn't he would be letting the team down.

by now he was in tears so i intervened and asked if this was really necessary to reduce him to tears over a ###### game.

she did give in but only after making him feel like the worst child in the school.

i am so angry :angry:

and to make matters worse i work in the school so couldn't exactly have a show down with her in front of parents....which is probably a blessing!

Hi Jools -

Personally, i would have taken the skipping rope and given the teacher a sound thrashing (and look: not a 'fnar fnar' in sight!).

Lets face facts, if skipping DOES form part of the 2012 olympics, your littlun won't be there. So flippin' what. dry his eyes, tell him you are Soooooooooo proud that he had the guts to say 'I don't want to', and enjoy the summer holidays.

L&P

BD

Amazing... if only in the cooincidence stakes!

Seems many of us are not only experiencing the same things, but often at exactly the same time!!

It was my son's sports day yesterday. He's the tallest in the class.... but.... he came last in the skipping race which was sooo humiliating for him.

I don't only share your outrage at your teachers attitude.... I'm living it here too!

Keep up the good fight :ninja: !!!

Lauren

It was sports day for us today too, but R already decided he wasn't interested so didn't go, but the school is flexible up to a point. I, on the other hand, as other son was taking part was stood on the finishing line handing out place cards and have yet to deforst, never known a sports day so cold.

The teacher sounds like an awful bully and a formal complaint wouldn't go amiss although if you work at the school then it might make things difficult

WeirdCat

What is it with skipping??! I didn't realise it was such an essential life skill. :wacko:

My NT son who usually enjoys school and rarely gets wound up by anything developed a mysterious "stomach ache" a couple of weeks ago. When I enquired further, turned out he didn't want to go to school because there was a "sponsored skip" and he didn't know how. I managed to reassure him that he wouldn't be the only child who couldn't do it.

How many men can actually skip? Bet you can't, Baddad. :P:devil:

K

Sports day is a yearly nightmare for us, Michael worries about it all the school year.

This year i gave him the option of taking part instead of school trying to force it upon him. He decided just an hour before it started to give it a try. I took my camcorder with me but i was so emotional during his first race that i basically filmed the floor due to my tears and i was shaking so much!

We had a few problems however, when Michael was attempting the sack race (with his teachers assistance), he fell over and lay there crying and screaming for quite a while. He still insisted on attempting the next race though which again made me feel so proud of his achievements.

Unfortunately there was one parent that made a huge scene of my son being assisted, saying it was cheating! That made me feel so angry but there was no way i was going to let it spoil our moment.

He took part in 5 races in total and did absolutely brilliantly in them all. :)