Mannify

How did you come across this site?

What made you join? What has been its impact? (When I say 'site', I intend to include both the forum and PM)

I came across this site researching an autism-related subject pertinent to my sons. I joined up because I thought I might as well, since I'm always glad of extra sources of information. The third question I cannot readily quantify or qualify, but it'd be interesting to hear what others have to say :) .

Edited by Mannify

I was sat at my computer, and i thought, 'i wonder if there is an aspergers forum?' so i googled asperger forums, and this one was at the top of the list. I glanced through, and saw alot of negative posts, so i decided to attempt an aspergers rescue and change pepoles views on it. hence A-S warrior was born. I was almost banned within a few days, and my first ever thread went to like 4-5 pages within hours, so i certainly diddn't waste anytime causing trouble. some 1500 posts later, ive matured, ive taken myself less seriously, and have adopted a team member approach. it works better i feel. i recive alot of PM's, i seem to be a good netural for people. who would of thought it? ive certainly ended up a million miles from where i started. ive made friends that i consider on the same level of some of my real life best friends, and have gone through and discussed significant life changing events that have happend this year. I posted about my nan dieing litreally 10 minutes after she died, so you guys were the first to know, you knew even before my grandad did!

If i had never joined this forum, my own personal life would be that much harder. and ive learned alot about myself in 2012. and my message to anyone is, if you use this foum well, and embrace the support, there really isn't much you wont be able to do.

I was on wrongplanet for a while but got perturbed by the trans atlantic perspective and so went in search of a wrongplanet with a UK persepective and found this, a bit condescending at times but with a UK perspective and that is what is needed. But what attracted me to this particular website was the colourful celtic knot work graphic at the top of the page.

I have used wrongplanet in the past too Sa - if you get past the basic-design feel there are some interesting topics on it which helped me answer some of my questions. I like the fact there's an adult's area where people can ask about relationships, etc. I also like that topic titles are not used in the URL's because it makes it harder for marketing companies to target things at you - it annoys me when shopping for other people and then getting adverts on some past-purchase which I have absolutely no interest in myself all because the URL I clicked on contained the name of the product!

Aspies-Central is another good forum and definitely worth checking out.

Hi Mannify:),

With my son starting his secondry school this year and not knowing what was out there for Aspie teens and young adults in regards to career paths etc I thought why not see if theres a forum were I can access more info...and talking to other Aspies and their family members may help with understanding my son at more of a deeper level, so I can steer him in the right direction and give him a good foundation for his adult life ahead...like AS warrior this was the very first forum and I clicked in to see if it was worth joining and I haven't regretted it...:)

1. Google

2. I don't know, I just needed to know there was somewhere and I didn't like the bigger forums, and I joined and then forgot about the forum for about 3 months, it was only cuz I was checking history or bookmarks for something else and I remembered joining, I was still really screwed up over the dx at that point and I wanted to understand and learn.

3. Impact? Immeasurable at this point because the impact has been very varied throughout the last year and a half and I can't be ars3d to write about it :lol:

I think I'm ready to answer the third question I posed: being on this forum has been an excellent chance to talk about SEN statements and Annual Reviews.

It was the 1st result on google.

I wanted to be able to ask people about Aspergers Syndrome and the forum seemed to have a decent reply rate, after some looking around for other forums I found this one to be the best one so have stuck with it.

I think the impact on me personally was positive, to read what others had written and be able to relate to it.

Edited by Asun86