ScienceGeek

Aspie/Autie usage

I fear I may be in the minority but I cannot stand the usage of aspie/autie. It feels rather childish to me. I find it really difficult to see past the usage of it, which is really annoying because a lot of the ASD related forums that I go on the majority of people on there use them. I think it makes light of the diagnosis. I respect that people can identify however they like but would rather that people not refer to me as such :unsure:

Well Aspie is short for Asperger's and Autie is short for Autism. The ie at the end of both (pronounced ee) makes it sounds 'familiar' and 'nice'. To make it more manly-sounding I suppose you could use an 'o' at the end, thus reading:

Aspo or Auto.

Now I don't know about you but the first sounds like Asbo and the first is short for Automobile so it doesn't quite work does it and cannot really be used. So which would you rather have - Aspie or Aspo?

Edited by Mike_GX101

It seems that opinion is split. I wouldn't use the word 'aspie' unless I thought the other person wasn't offended. I don't see 'aspie' as childish personally, more kind of affectionate. But connotations attached to certain words are so personally constructed that it's best to go with how the other person feels. Another thing along similar lines is the NAS's disinclination to say 'autistic', they prefer 'has autism', but I personally prefer 'autistic'. My 7 year old, for example, is blond, has blue eyes, is autistic, loves music, is radiantly gorgeous. I don't see how the autism can be extricated from him and he still be him - his autism is not an appendage. But I try to go with other people's sensibilities on these things where I can. :)

Personally I don't like any "label" but I prefer the term autistic over autie. But then perhaps I personally prefer the term "different" or "difference" and dislike the term "gifted". But then that's just me.

I have gone through the last few months slightly confused (hence not contributing towards this forum) in the sense of "who am I" but with my knowledge increasing that little bit each day with the "whats and whys", I am definately on the spectrum and exhibit little snippetts from each of the SpLD's on the autistic spectrum. I know I am "different" and am now proud of it.

Aspie is a friendly term, less serious and perhaps more fun and so I am inclined to to seek the humour as the weighty dour complete term of autistic is to me a bit condemning and I do believe we should not be condemned as we are not autistic in it's profoundest sense, aspies are not that, which can help and hinder, but for me personally I am trying to get away from the negativities associated with autism as I will not be defined by it.

But yes, with aspie, KS and who knows what else I know I am different, but in reality everyone is and it does not take a bunch of recognised and mutually agreed symptoms attached to a label to be different, as we are all individuals in reality, each one of us has a purpose and benefit to mankind, the failing in realising that is a failure of our society.

Aspies of the past, no I am not talking the twentieth century, I am talking far beyond, I think I know where aspies were for we have always existed and been of use to humanity where now in an overpopulated world the 'labelled' are being negated as only the pure can ascend to achieve. Doesn't anyone see it, doesn't anyone see the dumbing down education, doesn't anyone see the negating actions labelled people receive ?

Asperger's Syndrome doesn't have a corresponding adjective in the way that "autism" has the adjective "autistic." It also doesn't have a shortened noun form like "an autistic." So, the only proper description is to say you "have Asperger's Syndrome" or "have AS." I'm not keen on those descriptions because to say I "have" AS sounds to me like it is a condition I have acquired. That's why I don't mind people saying I am an aspie - it's the only noun (albeit informal) to describe AS in terms of who or what I am, rather than what I have.

(The term "Aspergic" is a made-up word and an unsatisfactory one, etymologically. I hope it never makes it into the dictionary. "Aspie", on the other hand, doesn't pretend to follow any etymological rules).

Edited by In Exile

(The term "Aspergic" is a made-up word and an unsatisfactory one, etymologically. I hope it never makes it into the dictionary. "Aspie", on the other hand, doesn't pretend to follow any etymological rules).

That's correct - I made it up! I still - personally - prefer it, though, to 'aspie'

That's correct - I made it up! I still - personally - prefer it, though, to 'aspie'

If you did invent "Aspergic", kudos to you for its popularity on the internet!

i HATE when people mispropounce asbergers gr! yuk ! can understand why you find it immature /child like stance on the words used so annoying so have to correct normally! dislike the terms autie and aspie i prefer the term A.S to be honest! :)

XKLX

If you did invent "Aspergic", kudos to you for its popularity on the internet!

I hadn't come across it anywhere else on the internet so thought it was my invention - but obviously not.

I'd only use aspie/autie in forums like this one, never in RL. It's far to complex a condition, and no one would understand the term, either.

ive heard the term aspergic mentioned in some autism literature.

Like Shnoing i only use the terms autie and aspie amongst people who recognise those terms.

I don't much talk about it with other people, at the times I've had to tell someone I said I have Asperger's, for autism I would say "autistic" or "person with autism". While I don't object to "Aspie" or "Autie" I wouldn't use them.

I didn't think I'd use the term aspie, but found myself referring to myself as such last night in a post on here. I do think it fit the feel of what I was saying though.

I'd not be likely to use it outside of a forum where people knew what it meant though, if I ever do use it again.

I'm not a big fan of aspie and autie. Whilst it's a way of taking the words autistic or ass-burgers away from people who use them in a demeaning way (and we all know that it happens unfortunately) and using a word that we as a community have defined ourselves as, I don't feel they help sometimes.

I have seen arguments on forums where it's aspies vs. NT's and similar, and while it may sometimes seem like a battle to those who are struggling, we need to discourage this viewpoint.

I refer to people with ASD as... people with ASD. Because we are all people, and some of us have ASD traits. It's humanising and it's simple, and completely correct.

That's my viewpoint, and I think the community and the public at large would benefit from a single, simple term to use to make it clearer :)

Personally, I think a person should use whatever they are comfortable with to describe themselves. But, it's all subjective - as long as it doesn't offend or upset anyone!

I think we are all human, and that's what counts.