justine1

20 Years of texting

Its the 20th anniversary of texting so I was just curious from and ASD point of view how has texting helped you? Or has it had the opposite effect and you have become less social? The same applies to those with dyslexia has it made it worse because of all the texting abbreviations?

My boys are only 9 and 6 so have no experience of the benefits(if there are any) of texting,but I do know for my 9year old typing has helped with his story telling as opposed to writing.

I prefer to text than engage in idle chit chat via voice as I am somewhat curt when on the telephone, where telephone conversations actually make me anxious and if they go on too long my voice starts to fail through a very dry throat, only on the telephone.

I was born into a generation where communication meant talking in sentances and so I have tried my best to communicate in that way ever since. I never text as I always feel I am not giving my best response, rightly or wrongly. Because I respect the other person I feel I should always try my best if that makes sense without writting an essay on it, lol!

I was born into a generation where communication meant talking in sentances and so I have tried my best to communicate in that way ever since. I never text as I always feel I am not giving my best response, rightly or wrongly. Because I respect the other person I feel I should always try my best if that makes sense without writting an essay on it, lol!

My dad prefers to talk on the phone or face to face but....he always phones at the wrong moment and I cannot get him off the phone he can talk for up to 1.5hours! About nothing really.

As I'm not good talking socially, texting suits me fine - same with speaking on the telephone. Texting is a convenience but abuses the English language much so. Also I can't help but be distracted at times when my daughter is forever texting her friends...what do they say? One liners or one worders before hitting "send" each time. But I still encourage my daughter to speak and she's an excellent speller and average writer. But if I'm sitting on a train, I would prefer people text rather than me have to listen to their phone conversation in the carriage.

But of course I'm of the generation that grew up writing letters, thank you cards etc to people. When I was at school. people "spoke" to each other. I suppose I could be happy without texting but as I said, for me, it is convenient at times. My mother still tries to get my father to use his mobile to make calls even - let alone text...

Texting has been incredibly useful not least because of my stammer. When I was younger I used to avoid the phone at all costs even shunning contact with friends and family because of it; it was like my demon in life distancing me from everyone! Everyone else simply lifted the handset, dialled and spent hours at a time chatting; but not me!

Texting was revolutionary for me and meant I could suddenly keep up with those who could text back (not many people initially but more and more people text these days even the older generations).

My stammer no longer bothers me though and I use the phone all the time in work. But I continue to use text because it is quick and simple and reliable. The only thing I wish some times is that they'd increase the limit as you cannot say much in 120 characters but then if it's important than a talk is infinitely more valuable than any text could ever be.