Mannify

What's the point of friendship?

Sorry to disappoint, but this isn't a deep philosophical debate. I have, on my profile page, several 'badges' of friendship. To those of you who have both offered and accepted these 'badges' of friendship, I am grateful, I really am, because it's nice. But beyond being a kind of 'this person seems nice' badge, I can't see any actual technical advantage that these friendship badges offer (not that friendship should be about technical advantage, lol). Am I missing something? Are they really just 'hey, you say decent stuff' badges? I mean, if they are, that's ok - they're nice. I just wonder, that's all.

Edited by Mannify

I don't think that there is any technical benefit.

With autism comes communication issues, I see the friendship badges as an outstretched hand, a small first step in trying to establish a link with other members. Avatars are another form of expression, but that's one I can't get to grips with.

Robert and Raydon, those are lovely thoughts.

I do value the feature, but I did just wonder if I was missing something there. Tbh, I value those 'badges' or whatever they are, more than the multitude of 'friends' on facebook who have added me on a whim because they have some vague recollection of me from school, or have done an OU course with me and nostalgia for the module has made them 'friend' a load of people in an attempt to take a 'snapshot' of a period of their lives which is now moving on. But on here, offer of those badges are the result of meaningful discussion and sharing which genuinely enrich. On that level, then, they are worth far more than the technical advantages offered by 'friending' on Facebook.

I'm getting to a point where i only want to talk to people on my friends list. i see them as real life friends. plus it's a nice gesture to add someone. and it's nice to see a notification pop up.