Sign in to follow this  
bensmum2

amended Statements how long should they take ?

At my sons review in DDecember 2011, the lea agreed to amend his statement , in june 2012 i contacted them as we still hadn't received anything. They said it would eb amended after his GCSE results in the summer/ We have now had this years review which the lEA didnt attend and still no amended statement. I rnag them today and they said they will "look into it" . so we hav ebeen waiting over 12 months for an amended statment . any advice please ?

LA often delay this because once the LA have sent the letter saying where they are going to amend or not, you have the right to appeal.

So I would put it in writing. Don't just phone, because there is no evidence of you having phoned them or what they said to you. ALWAYS PUT IT IN WRITING.

Say that your son had an AR on xx December 2011 and that the LA agreed to amend the Statement [what were those amendments? Do you having anything such as minutes of the AR that detailed these amendments? ]. Say that you have not received the amended Statement and there has now been a further Review a year later where no-one from the LA even attended. Can you please respond to this within 14 days.

If you do not get a satisfactory response or any response within 14 days, find out the name of the person within the LA that deals with complaints and write to them.

Then get in touch with the local government's ombudsman and lodge a complaint with them.

IF there is the possibility of you appealing the Statement, the LGO cannot look into the contents of the Statement as that is what the SEND Tribunal Panel would do. But the LGO can follow the administrative practises to ensure that those have been met, and it is clear they have not in your case. The LGO can ask the LA to award compensation, especially if the amendment was to include extra support, teaching therapy etc that the child has missed out on for the last 12 months.

But NEVER let things go this long before you send in a letter and start the complaint process. Unfortunately it is not in the LAs interests to amend Statements especially if that means the amendments cost them more money.

Thankls ally , i know i shouldnt have let it go this long but he was doing ok, and thne he broke his ankle in the middle of his gcse's and so other things were prioritised and i just presumed they wanted to see how well he was doing before they commited themselves to the changes, the changes actually included less help as at the time i didnt feel he eeded it , but the ankle injury has set him bakc so much , his anxiety has coem back andalthough the school were constantly reassuring me his work was fine and he was set for good grades in the gcse's , he didnt' do well at all, and thye started saying well his course work was no good. So now i have lost confidence in the school as well. He also now goes aprt time to a mainstream ands he isnt coping wiht thta either his old sickness has eturned , i want to sort this out so do need a copy of this revised statemetn so i know exactly what he should have in place . Nice ot hear from you anyway how is your son doing? Hope things are much better for you all x

Well you can definately ask the LGO to look into why 12 months have passed without a Decision letter from the LA.

Remember you need the LA to send their Decision letter stating whether they are going to amend or not before you can lodge an appeal - which is often why they delay sending it. And you can lodge an appeal whether the LA decide to amend or whether they don't.

However you have another AR this month. I don't know that asking for an 'emerency review' would make it happen any earlier. or produce up to date reports etc, but you could ask IPSEA [every AR should really have all professionals attending and they should all produce up to date reports after carrying out standardised assessments - you can write to the school and ask them to invite those professionals and write to each professional asking them to carry out standardised assessments, and you can request that the LA Inclusion Officer attends because it is they that decide whether to amend the Statement or not. That would save you some time by getting up to date reports and everyone at the table.

He obviously is not coping with mainstream as his sickness/anxiety has returned. He has not done as well as they predicted in his GCSEs. He has deteriorated and needs more support. Did they apply for any additional time for him during his exams? Was he able to use a laptop or a reader/writer if needed?

Hi yes he had extra time and a laptop and scribe , but they put him in for the higher papaers and i knew he wudnt be able to do them, but thye ignored me. i was ocnstantly on their backs last year about why i wasnt seeing any homeowrk or any coursework and thye just kept saying hesup to date and doing well, but if thtas were the case he wudnt have got an f or a u in 2 of his exams , and yesterday they told me more lies which i have found out so am taking this much further , they have entered him for an AS level exam when he has only been on the course 4 months and off for most of that, they told me this is the only time that exam is available but i have found out its done in may as well, they say he wotn pass it anyway , but to em thats just setting him up to fail again x