Alex_a_scholar

citalopram baby, yes!

40mg for last 10 months; I feel GREAT!

It has worked wonders for me in the areas of depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder.

My work ethic if high, I love to socialize (after 2 or more pints) at the pub with my friends; not always close friends but people I have a good rapport with and I have shared good times with, although I will always go with a close friend and then talk with other people. I could never enter the pub without a close friend to fall back on.

I just need some employment; part-time employment that is, I have far too many hobbies and interests to work full time. Besides, being around people for 40 hours a week would kill me in 2.

Citalopram nearly killed me as suicidal on it I was and many dosages were tried over the three years I was on it, but everyone's bio chemistry is different and I am glad it works for you.

Most drink alcohol on medications even those that should know better, just like many health professionals still smoke as one just cannot stop living because they are on medication, the boredom would tip you over the edge if the ailment being tackled didn't or the meds themselves of which you will notice in the contraindications data list all kinds of lethal side effects.

Be careful though ... afaik SSRIs are not completely contraindicated re. alcohol, BUT the additional strain placed on the liver to excrete both a drug and alcohol can be considerable.

SSRIs can be very effective but I would still exercise some caution and no overdo alcohol. Also, do not suddenly stop taking the citalopram if you are feeling well (as some do).

I stopped citalopram dead, one day I forgot to take it and it was three weeks later I remembered the citalopram, by which time I was off it. The same happened with mirtazapine I just forgot to take it one day and weeks later I remembered by which time it was too late. But mirtazapine was better than citalopram by a long way, citalopram in my experience was evil.

Now I am without any medication and the moods are exactly the same, but at least I am able to clear think and manage my affairs where on either med I could not and got in all sorts of problems which made matters worse, far worse than they should have been.

Now I was a heavy drinker on meds and not, I am not now, but due to recent med tests I actually found out my internal organs are in better shape than many fifteen years younger than myself, the GP was impressed and I do not look after my health through being very self destructive.

But SSRI's are only licensed for human use, there is no indication yet that they are safe and their action is based on a theory not an absolute understanding, where on American forums they are suggesting SSRI's will be banned from use soon due to what is happening to many on them.

Edited to add, there is no one in my life to help me get through the day, no carers, no MH nurses, no nothing, I am completely on my own and the GP, they don't care.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, these medications effect people in many different ways, I guess I am lucky to have found a good fit.

Yes I do drink alcohol, perhaps once a week, although I do know my limit.

Most ageing I believe is due to stress on the organs. I do eat a good diet without meat, excess sugar, and I do get a good amount of green vegetable into my diet.

Regarding lethal side-effects, are these due to normal dose intake, or overdose? How lethal are we talking. Should I be worried? I do feel very healthy at the moment.

Even though I feel good I will not stop taking the medication, life was hell before I started, I do not want to go back to that.

Bit of a mess this post, sorry, I'm too busy too edit it.

Check the Data sheet that comes with the medication and your questions will be answered by what is there, but WebMD on the matter;

US information;

http://www.webmd.com...m oral&source=0

UK information;

http://www.webmd.boo...lopram-cipralex

But precious little information on adults experience of the stuff on the UK site, where the focus is as ever in this country on children where adults well we are largely forgotten.

But if you want a laugh with learning check out CrazyMeds ;

http://www.crazymeds...php/Meds/Celexa

Oh and the author of the website is Aspie, so you know you will get weird information very few others know about.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

I am very pleased Citalopram is working for you, but like Sa Skimrande, Citalopram made me worse. I am hoping to come off it very, very soon. I might try rispiredone (an anti-physchotic) although I don't like the sound the anti-physchotic part or I might come off medication all together, I'll see how it goes with the physchiatrist. I have tried Fluoxitine which worked for a while, but when my mood got worse, I didn't work as well.

Halla! and good luck with Citalopram : )