Sign in to follow this  
nysnanna

Statutory assessment ~ just when we thought things were beginning to look up.

After having our request for assessment turned down we initially felt that we couldn't carry on fighting anymore. Our grandson is the eldest of our single parent Aspergers daughters four children and we had run out of energy.

We picked ourselves up though and put in an appeal which was successful, the LA decided to carry out the assessment, a couple of weeks before the tribunal. GREATso far.

In September our grandsons school became an academy and much less inclusive, now in year 8 he has been going to school without too much complaint but is not making any progress with his learning,

he is very disruptive and spends very little time in lessons, either being told to leave because of his behaviour or walking out because he doesn't understand and is bored. When we initially applied for an assessment

the school reported that his behaviour was manageable and that they could meet his educational needs. At his last review two weeks ago they now say that he is not making any progress at all and his behaviour

is becoming so challenging that he is likely to start getting exclusions.

As part of the assessment process we met with EP who suggested we have a look round our local SEN school. Initially I was opposed to this as we were always led to believe that our grandson is academically able but struggling to access

curriculum because of his ADHD and ASD. After looking at website for school it looks like it may suit our boy, nearly all boys are ASD aspergers or ADHD, some with moderate LD some very able.

Telephoned school for a visit and told no chance of even visiting as they are full. What are we supposed to do from here? I don't think there are any other schools in Notts like this. If he gets a proposed statement

how can we put a preferred school if there are no places for him? We are not in a position to go down the route of paying for private assessments and don't know where to begin looking for non LA schools.

I am still in the process of writing our views to be included but am now struggling to be positive when the system seems to be designed to fail our children instead of helping them. Whatever happened to 'Every disabled child matters'.

Although our grandson is attending school he has not progressed at all since he started there in September 2011, he is falling further and further behind and it appears that we are the only ones that are concerned about this.

His behaviour at school can be challenging and he has no motivation to learn or take part in lessons, he is just going most days, hanging about the corridors and disrupting other pupils learning. I am desperate to help him

before its too late.

Does anyone know of any schools in Notts that may meet his needs or how I can go about finding out where schools are and what they provide. What are the LA likely to do if his current school say that they cannot meet his needs but SEN school hafe no places.

Any advice welcome and many thanks in advance.

Teresa

Local Authorities have to go with the parental choice of school UNLESS it is not suitable due to the peer group or cannot meet the childs needs, or if the LA say it is not a good use of their resources [ie. they have a similar school which costs less].

However his current mainstream Academy has said he is not making progress and is likely to be excluded. Have you got that in writing? If not ask them to put it in writing to you.

The LA SEN school say they are full so no places there.

That would make your choice of school [even if it was an independent ASD specific school], the only possible placement. So the LA would have to find something else, and it doesn't sound like there is anything else. If mainstream has failed then SEND are not going to place him at another mainstream school. And if the LA special school is full then it is full, unless the LA manage to find another place there [sometimes they do hold back an 'emergency' place incase it is needed]. But you need to think seriously about whether it is a suitable peer group academically, socially and emotionally.

You don't always need private reports to win an appeal. It costs you nothing to appeal to SEND, send in your evidence and attend the Tribunal. It would cost the LA as they would have to attend and also bring any professionals they wanted as expert witness. You can also bring anyone you want as your expert witness. That can be the Head or SENCO of his current academy IF they are going to admit they cannot meet his needs. You can also ask the LA EP or the NHS SALT or anyone else working or dealing with your son to attend IF they are going to helpful in getting the placement you want. If they are not going to back up your case, then don't invite them.

Which is the SEN school in Notts that is full?

You can ask your local authority to send you their list of maintained, non-maintained, approved and independent secondary schools for children with SEN including Aspergers and ADHD. That will be a list of ALL the schools your LA uses. You may find one there that is able to meet his SEN and also academic ability. Remember that the school has to be 'suitable'. He is around average cognitive ability, he should not be placed in a school with moderate learning disabilities ie. low IQ.

I'll have a think about any other schools I know and PM them to you.

Edited by Sally44

Hi Sally, thanks for your response, the school thst is full is called Derrymount, quite local and appears to have changed over recent year to be educating more children with ASD. it used to be for moderate learning disabilities. However they are full so its not an option. I will contact LA tomorrow and ask them to send me a list of all schools and see whats on offer.

Many thanks

Teresa

There is also Dawn House, which is for children with speech and language difficuties/disorders and they do have a fair number of children on the spectrum.

There is also Alderwasley Hall School which is part of the SENAD Group. Not sure what the travelling distance would be for you.

There is Sutherland House, in Nottingham, but I think the children are more severely autistic, but it might be worth speaking to them to see if they know of any other school.

Thanks Sally, I've contacted LA and they are going to send me a list of all the schools so hopefully there may be something suitable for him. I'm in the middle of writing my report/views at the moment, this needs to be in by xmas eve.

Is there anything that needs to be in this that wasn't included in the original request for assessment. It feels like I am just repeating what was in last one.

Ive had a look at Dawn House and Alerwasley on the internet, both are possibilities but I'm not sure the LA would feel he had speech and language problems. Alderwasley looks great but is about an hours drive from us.

When I have sent our views, in for xmas eve, what should be my next step? Should I wait for the proposed statement, if he gets one, or start looking round schools first.

Many thanks for your advice, it is always so useful and appreciated.

Teresa

You can look around any schools you think maybe a possibility. The LA will finalise the Statement as there is a timescale within which they have to finalise it. At the moment it is at the proposed stage, so you can be in negotiations about what should be in part 2 [needs], and part 3 [provision to meet each of those needs] and part 4 [the school placement].

Once the Statement is finalised, you have a timescale within which you have to lodge your appeal to SEND. You need to get as much documentary evidence as possible from his current school and for them to put in writing that they cannot meet his needs.