sweelmeister

I think this can improve the life of people with Asperger's greatly.

Hi. I'm a web developer from Sweden and I just created a game for people who have a hard time recognizing face and micro-expressions.

The game can be found over at: http://facetest.info

Please let me know if you think the game is any good. Or bad! :)

/Sweelmeister

Yes, it is good, well done, but recognising facial expressions when one has time to study them and select from a list of possibles is relatively easy, where in real life the list isn't there and one generally cannot study people's faces for long.

I did well on your test with only one wrong guess, but I draw and so for the purpose of makes faces more interesting I have discovered much of what people express can be seen around the eyes, but looking at people's eyes in real life is problematic for some of us.

And so with me I discern what I do by tone of voice.

there is also autismxpress on itunes for Ipods/Iphones- but i have good job trying to put the emotion to the face

I did not know that existed. I don't have an iPhone.

Well played :)

Yes, it is good, well done, but recognising facial expressions when one has time to study them and select from a list of possibles is relatively easy, where in real life the list isn't there and one generally cannot study people's faces for long.

You are totally right. Unless the face expression is almost exaggerated it can be hard to spot. That's why this site is a good start. When you know the face expressions by heart they'll be way easier to spot in real life.

I'm glad you liked the game :)

Yes, it is good, well done, but recognising facial exp<b></b>ressions when one has time to study them and select from a list of possibles is relatively easy, where in real life the list isn't there and one generally cannot study people's faces for long.

I did well on your test with only one wrong guess, but I draw and so for the purpose of makes faces more interesting I have discovered much of what people express can be seen around the eyes, but looking at people's eyes in real life is problematic for some of us.

And so with me I discern what I do by tone of voice.

I also only had one wrong guess (the baby) but I agree that in real life one doesn't have the time to study the face in the way one can with a picture.

I scored two points. Facial expressions, as well as facial recognition, are areas of particular difficulty for me. Happy and sad are easy enough but it simply isn't true to say that more complex emotional expressions look the same on everybody, at least not to many of us with ASD. For example, the three pictures illustrating disgust did not look the same to me and all three pictures illustrating contempt looked totally expressionless to me.

It's been explained that I don't see a face as a singularity but rather as a collection of components - hair, complexion, face shape, eyes, etc. - which is a harder assimilation process just for recognizing people, let alone for recognizing expressions. (I hope this description makes sense to others with AS/ASD). An application like this could be made useful for someone like me but it would need to be much more granular, e.g. by showing what within a person's expression distinguishes surprise from fear or contempt, etc. This would be a step forward from the assessments I've had previously, which have sought only to measure my difficulty rather than to offer help with it! Even then, as Sa and Indiscreet say, real time doesn't allow for leisurely study of facial expressions, especially for those of us with an aversion to eye contact.