A-S warrior

Cliche asperger trends, why?

There are some exeptions to this (including me) but a large number of aspies/autistics all have the same pattern of interests. These are:

Thomas the tank engine,

star wars,

star trek,

buzz lightyear (what's wrong with woody?)

Trains

Unusual collections

And astrology.

why? just why? i don't get it. It's natural for humans to obsess over certain hobbies and interests, by why do people on the spectrum have the same or very simular path? bit weird don't you think?

oh and i forgot postman pat.

I agree, as the core aspie interests I have no interest in beyond their entertainment value, but I can take them or leave them, where a pal who is not diagnosed is heavily into aspie interests to the point he knows the performance data of all incarnations of the Star Trek Enterprise.

But it is not even the key interests that I have issues with , this thing about routine, no way, I cannot deal with routine, it drives me stark staring bonkers to do things the same way every time and I have to vary my approach to maintain interest, but at the same time I have big issues with change and so I understand I am only comfortable with what I understand is acceptable to me, little steps at a time when I am ready not what others think.

Unusual collections I used to be into them, I used to collect all sorts and categorise what I had, but these days though I still collect rubbish mostly there is no rhyme no reason to what I collect and to an outward observer my possessions are a haphazard collection of junk.

But I do suspect much of what you have identified as core aspie interests is the fact that others may have understood other aspies are into such stuff, so instead of bucking the trend they comply and do what everyone else does, programming if you like.

Interesting topic Warrior...

By all accounts, what I've heard is that it is thought that a lot of spectrum kids in particular like Thomas because of the exaggerated facial expressions of the characters and simple black and white/right or wrong storylines. If a character behaves in a certain way they are a 'really useful' engine or they've caused 'confusion and delay'. My little boy likes Thomas and for some time when he was more echoliac he would use phrases from the programme - if I was annoyed with him he might say 'Cinders and ashes' or 'Mummy puffed' for instance.

I've heard that Star Trek could be a lot to do with logic (the Vulcans) technology and the understanding of and misunderstanding between various cultures (sound familiar?). An ex of mine had the entire Next Generation collection!!

Star Wars may be similar to above but also because again it's good against evil/right and wrong etc...

?? re others but I like Woody...you got a friend in me!!

Lynda B)

If a character behaves in a certain way they are a 'really useful' engine or they've caused 'confusion and delay'. My little boy likes Thomas and for some time when he was more echoliac he would use phrases from the programme - if I was annoyed with him he might say 'Cinders and ashes' or 'Mummy puffed' for instance.

Haha! sorry but this really tickled me!

As a child, Thomas the Tank - yes. But all the others, no. But then I think you could go a step further and say these are pretty much aspie male obsessions because my brother fits in with these more than I do.

If I were to generalize or pick the longest lasting/recurring obsessions from my life it would probably be; thomas the tank engine, space, dolphins, Tigger (from Winnie the Pooh) then it went on to be a couple of rock bands that I was obsessed with - and then art/photography/writing and singing.

The only one from this list is trains - from a historical and photographic point of view - mainly steam trains. You can't beat a good kettle! Oh and old mechanical railway signalling.

I never liked Thomas or his friends.

I love photography - especially candid street photography

I agree - Gordon is a scary engine!!

Was it the 'mummy puffed' bit that made you laugh Warrior? It always made me laugh too I must say!

Also, I had Tigger bed covers and was obsessed with my pillow that had Tigger bouncing on it...I loved Tigger's bounce!

I agree - Gordon is a scary engine!!

Was it the 'mummy puffed' bit that made you laugh Warrior? It always made me laugh too I must say!

Also, I had Tigger bed covers and was obsessed with my pillow that had Tigger bouncing on it...I loved Tigger's bounce!

It was the whole thing lol, those thomas sayings were so mature, yet so childish at the same time :lol: 'I'm a very important engine! grumbled gordon' 'rubbish! snapped james'

It was the whole thing lol, those thomas sayings were so mature, yet so childish at the same time :lol: 'I'm a very important engine! grumbled gordon' 'rubbish! snapped james'

You're right! That's so true and it is very funny when a little boy says them too! Especially when my little man in Scottish but speaks with an English accent :lol: .

I also enjoy photography....

Photography is both a science and an art rolled into one, it satisfies different aspects of ourselves at the same time, to include working on one's own reliant on the self. I have been into photography since age 6 and at one point in time I held a LRPS along with a C&G level 3, My preferred photographic medium Landscape photography, I have never been interested in photographing people, which is perhaps an extension of AS

Can't say that I really fit with that..

Looking back I remember being obsessed with dolphins and wanting to work with then. Then there was the whole 'Egypt' thing where I needed to read everything I could. If a particular assignment hit a note with me at school I'd run with it and want to know all I could, I remember wanting to know all there was about thylacines, and unfortunately no Internet when I was working on this stuff so had limited info, didn't make me happy!!

I was very into photography for about ten years or so. Started out being asked if I'd like to photograph a well known singer's gig and realised I loved doing this. Previously I'd only really taken a point and shoot camera to shows.

Having been bitten by the bug I bight a better camera and started photographing more and more bands, many if them local in the beginning.

People then started telling me my work was good and I started doing more and more. The fact I was shooting gigs officially afforded me the opportunity to see the shows from completely different perspectives and the Aspie in me was relieved as I didn't have to stand in the crowds (one of my least favourite places to be). However, if no barrier was there I literally suffered to get the shots.

Sadly I had to give up the photography last year due to pain from a physical condition but while it lasted I almost fooled myself into believing I had a discuss life ;)

Have never liked taking promos as font like directing people, and landscapes, people photog etc just never really interested me :/

Astrology? Did you perhaps mean astronomy? That was one of mine (and still is)... and I like Star Trek, too, and sci fi in general.

None of my kids like Thomas thank goodness,I cannot sit through one episode its quite boring IMO. In fact nothing on the list other than Postman Pat.

Sam loved Postman Pat between 18mths and 4 years old. He was given a huge plush(bigger than him) for christmas age 2,from my dad and he still likes to cuddle it now when he is upset(he is 9!) I think he liked the van most of all,he loved any vehicle at the time and the colour red.

From age 4 onwards its been Spongebob and that obsession consisted of knowing every single episode word for word,sometimes reciting it as it was on...quite annoying! He now likes Sonic and Minecraft and likes watching home videos on both subjects on youtube,most of which are American so he has develpoed an annoying accent!

Edited by justine1

Your hypothesis is people on the autistic spectrum have the same interests. Has this been tested scientificly?

Among other things I'm into portrayals of autism on the small screen and the big screen, computer games and Information Technology, sport and politics, television and radio, and fashion.

My nephew (3) wants to watch the same things over and over again. It got to the point where he'd know things off by heart and could recite near enough a whole movie. He'd also know when the 'good' bits were coming and felt the need to tell us each time he was excited about it!

We've started trying to limit the number of times he watches a movie, and have started getting him new ones for when he is here, even if they're in the bargain bin! ;)

He's absolutely obsessed with the movies Tangled and Puss in Boots, and Spongebob etc.

He's not diagnosed but he sure shows traits, not least with this.