Sign in to follow this  
bensmum2

pe in 6th form is it compulsory

My son is 17 and in his first few months of 6th form at a special school, he isnt' coping well at all, i have spoekn to him and one of the things he is struggling with is they are encouraging him to "grow up" and take more responsibility for himself , but on the other hand forcing him to do PE and Swimming , both of which he hates. He talks to other people on the internet a lot of whom are at college now and only have to attend a few days a week and are not made ot do pe and get a lot of time off whne he is in all week full time and out of the house 9 1/2 hours every day with travelling. Can i insist he drops pE and swimming ?and that they adjust his timetable so that he gets at least one day off in the week like others his age ?

When my neice (NT) was in 6th form, the timetable for both upper and lower 6th was "Rec" for one afternoon a week.

This was officially recreation/sport/PE and all students were allowed off site, after getting their afternoon mark, to pursue which ever activity they chose. Some chose golf, swimming etc, but others decided to go to the park and throw a frisbie around.

As far as I know, only those claiming EMA (?) had to "prove" they did a physical activity.

I think it is important to appreciate is that any school or college has to balance its resources against the pupils and students it has responsibility for. That will mean they have to make decisions which are based on more than one individual. If they remove your son from PE who is going to supervise him. If you remove your son from parts of the school week how are they going to decide on staffing numbers at the start of the academic year? As a tax payer I want all pupils and students to have a good experience if at all possible but I do expect value for money.

There is an option in this pay for a private personal tutor and then he can have what he wants. If you exercise your rights to provison from the state then you will have to accept compromise positions at times. If you decide to go to a private school they will still face similar issues, their other option would be to charge very high fees to allow one to one supervision.

Just a thought.

I appreciate your replies , this isnt about how much the school costs , it is actually a non maintained out of area special school which is named on my sons statement after the LEA failed to provide a suitable school locally. it is about choice and the fact that his peers who are in mainstream colleges arent forced to do PE or swimming and they only have to attend a few days a week , whereas my son is out of the house with travelling 9 hours 5 days a week , The shcool have chosen all his courses doe him , even forcing him to do english literature for a full year when i objected to it , and thye have even chosen his 6th form courses even though i asked for a meeting to help decide what he should do. His choice has been taken aay x