Soda

Asd diagnosis how to feel?

Hi everyone,

New here and a bit reeling after DD (5) has just had diagnosis of ASD. Whilst it isn't a shock I am still absolutely gutted. I might even disagree a bit? I agreed to the CASBAT assessment but I honestly thought they would say that whilst my daughter had traits she wasn't ASD, which is the diagnosis.

So I guess my question is did you agree with the diagnosis?

And how did you feel? Is a label a positive thing because of the access to services?

I feel like my judgment as a mum is in question now...

I am meeting the lady that did the CASBAT assessment tomorrow so maybe she will be able to answer my questions. I thought it was really hard to get a diagnosis? This seems to have come too easily for us... I don't know. Maybe in denial a bit...

If there is anyone who has gone through this process I would be grateful of advice/feedback.

Many thanks,

Soda

im just going through it now he has been referred today for an assessment but is only 2 so iv had to push really harx for help, i hope you get your questions answered xx

I got the diagnosis of ASD fairly easily but it left me a bit confused because I felt like Autistic Spectrum Disorder was what described the whole spectrum, from Autism to Aspergers or High Functioning Autism etc...so it was the specific diagnosis of Aspergers which was hard to get. Once I had that it was easier because you didn't have to explain to people where abouts on the spectrum you were. If you said I have ASD people automatically think Autism, and then they think of the film Rain Man. So that got a bit difficult, with me being Aspergers.

But having said all of that, Aspergers has been taken out of the DSM so maybe you have the best diagnosis you can get now.

Getting a diagnosis, especially after waiting a long time can release all kinds of emotions all at once. so be kind to yourself and let your feelings settle down.

You may well be feeling euphoria at being vindicated if people have doubted you, relief at getting their, uncertainty and doubt at what the future holds, sadness that your child maybe won't have the life that you originally expected for her or you may simply be feeling overwhelmed. All of these are normal.

The label on the diagnosis is far less important than the help it can unlock, so you should let the GP, school etc. know as soon as possible.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Hi Soda, and welcome. My lad is 19 now, but I well remember the early times when he was going through assessments and got his AS diagnosis. It is a confusing time full of conflicting emotions so take it slow and give yourself time for it all to sink in. How is your daughter getting on at school and does she get extra help there? What is the school's attitude to her diagnosis? It is very important that you work closely with the school and try to keep positive communication flowing. Also, it is important that you get support for yourself. Are family supportive? My husband was totally in denial, which left me rather to deal with it all alone, but he did eventually come around. If there is a local parent support group in your area, I would recommend joining and getting to know other families in similar situations.

All the best.

~ Mel ~

Thanks everyone. Yes school really supportive and DD doing well on school action plus with support for speech and language and listening/social skills. Met lady from CASBAT today and feel so overwhelmed. Feel awful for not realising sooner and for all the things I have told her off about that she just can't help. Would really value hearing how it made others feel and how you coped.

Thanks

Soda

I don't think there is a right / correct way to think or feel really to be honest it personal fit to you your family, life experiences and situations hate using word normal on here so ill say common is anger, denial , depression you'll probably go through a range of these maybe more or less so don't be shocked or surprised at this try ride it through go with flow and don't be too hard harsh on yourself take time to adjust get head around what this means/involves having this present in your life! Be kind true honest up front with reality how it is for you! It common feel scared afraid or anxious!

Welcome to the forum. I really do hope that you'll be able to find the support / answers you are looking for. I can't say how I'd feel if I had a child who was diagnosed with ASD, but I know how my mum reacted when I got my diagnosis. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to feel about this sort of thing and of course, you will need to give yourself time to get used to it.

The good thing is though, that your daughter has been diagnosed early and there will be ample opportunities to support her through her developmental years. I don't doubt that there will be difficult times for you and your family, but you're lucky in the sense that you can fight for for her, knowing what is going on, not wondering and being in the dark.