mossgrove

Moderators Wanted

As you may know, this forum is made possible by the generosity of the site owners who pay for all the costs associated with running the site, which is why there are no adverts etc. to be seen anywhere on this forum.

To keep the forum running on a day to day basis there are a team of volunteer moderators, of which I am one. All the moderators started as ordinary users of this forum and we help by keeping an eye on what is going on and editing posts etc. when forum rules are broken, and occasionally stepping in when things get out of hand, which is thankfully a very rare occurrence.

The current moderating team have been in place for several years now, and through changes in our own lives we are finding that we are not on the forum nearly as much as we used to be, so the time has now come to appoint some new moderators. There are no specific skills or experience required. other than common sense and a willingness to spend time on the forum, so if you feel you may be able to contribute, please get on touch with Lufty or myself, we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Kind Regards

Simon

From what I've seen A-SW you're pretty active around here so I'd give you my vote. I agree with what was being said on the other thread about it being helpful to have people who are experiencing these things themselves moderating, maybe, alongside parents as well. There is the time old saying though that no one truly understands unless they've been through it themselves :)

From what I've seen A-SW you're pretty active around here so I'd give you my vote. I agree with what was being said on the other thread about it being helpful to have people who are experiencing these things themselves moderating, maybe, alongside parents as well. There is the time old saying though that no one truly understands unless they've been through it themselves :)

Amen!

And thankyou very much, i really appriciate the positive reasponses. I enjoy talking with you all, and it's very humbling to recive the votes, and encouraging words. :cheers:

Edited by A-S warrior

I agree I also think AS would make a very good moderator. I would also like to be considered if possible please?

I agree I also think AS would make a very good moderator. I would also like to be considered if possible please?

Thankyou Jeanne! :) and i agree, i think you would be well suited as a moderator. :cheers:

You've both got my vote :clap:

Thank you all for having faith in me and AS it is appreciated. :notworthy:

You all have my vote as well, just got the news that im now a moderator :-)

You all have my vote as well, just got the news that im now a moderator :-)

Congratulations, and for what it's worth thanks for the vote :cheers:

Edited by A-S warrior
Edited out exclimation marks for trekster

Yeup. we can do anything.

Do you not think that is wrong ?

In that you can switch between authority and participant as you please, can you not see the problem with this ?

Do you not think that is wrong ?

In that you can switch between authority and participant as you please, can you not see the problem with this ?

I do agree, if it was someone abusing there power. However, i am your friend, and respect you all, and would never do anything to hurt anyone on here. But rember, that someone has to enforce authority, and rather be someone you know right?

Edited by A-S warrior

However I do believe you have already issued an on forum warning to me this very day for something that another called a contravention of the rules, specifically Rule 4, where I totally disagree on both counts. What am I to do, put up and shut up whilst another goes around quoting rules whenever they don't understand something for you wade in and be unfriendly, because that is how it came across, I was effectively prevented from defending myself from what could amount to malicious use of rules.

But I do believe you have to separate your authoritarian capacity from your user capacity, or else you will lose trust as what you think comes across as a friendly cop will be seen differently by others.

And so other websites have rules for moderators in that if they participating in a thread, they cannot moderate that thread for obvious reasons, perhaps it might be wise if you did the same here to prevent accusations of the abuse of privilege and what could come across as cliquey behaviour ?

That was just a reminder for everyone. It was a topic on sexual orientation, as contained in rule 4. I was merely reminding everybody, As topics like that can quickly turn personal. The topic itself is fine. No warning at all, i have no issues with you.

Feel free to message me though if you want to talk about this, i'd rather do that, then fill a topic up.

Edited by A-S warrior

If it was decided that moderators couldn't moderate on threads they were involved in it'd go back to having moderators that just 'existed'!!

How would anyone be able to be involved in the forum or discussions if they can't be involved in what they moderate?! I don't get that logic. We'd end up with moderators who no one knew anything about :/

Would this be a good time to revisit the question of an Adult only section?

P.S. Shouldn't this thread be in the forum matters section, I had completely missed it

This thread has been moved back into general discuss.Please keep any continuing discussion within forum rules.Thanks .

I belong to another forum, where, if a topic is becoming heated, and a moderator has been posting, a different moderator is asked to step in and moderate.

Caci i like that idea, unless the moderator currently involved is already attempting moderation on that subject.

I belong to another forum, where, if a topic is becoming heated, and a moderator has been posting, a different moderator is asked to step in and moderate.

And that was what I was saying a few days ago, because you have to agree the potential for abuse is immense and it is something other fora had decided because it was being abused, because at the end of the day people are only human and humans will disagree and get caught up in trying to force their opinion- it's a human thing, but for someone to suddenly switch from a participant into authority when they realise a thread has degenerated comes across loud and clear as an attempt to get the upper hand in a debate and is seen as an abuse of privilege and it causes no end of problems on forums.