A long time ago trekster made a comment about

Thinking I have dyslexia but I just like not taken it in and was like no I don't gave it. Thanks for mentioning it to me trekster as possible I have it

I did some digging around I did not know it affected other areas I struggled in and so I know you don't have to be able to spell to have dyslexia but I tell you this test www.dyslexia-testing.com.au/skin1/images/pdfs/senior-students.pdf and scored 31 out of 45 questions in Australian version but in the uk version of

www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/files/Adult Checklist.pdf and scored 53 on that.

Edited by Special_talent123

I mean that I have little knowledge about dyslexia or about you and I hope that you can read OK. On the other hand I hope that if a doctor diagnoses dyslexia this helps make your life better. Do you have problem reading?

We are connecting good enough for me. Who would diagnose dyslexia?

Edited by david3

@Special_Talent,

Why not concentrate what you can do rather than what you struggle with as diagnoses actually limit and I do second david3, practice makes perfect, the more you practice a thing the better you become at it. And sure we may all differ in our abilities and so we have to practice in areas where we are weak, it is not a disability thing, it is just purely that we need more practice through not being good at everything.

But it is a known fact our writing skills have taken a serious nose dive in the last couple of decades or so what with two things mostly, the internet and SMS, two items that have enhanced our communicative options have actually reduced our skills at communicating, what with the American English in browser function and the text talk which is fine for SMS but why should it be used for everything as all it does is display is lack of education or laziness.

And I know my writing skills have crashed somewhat since the internet as prior to, any word I knew the spelling and meaning through the fact I like words, I like their intonation and have always collected words and back at school when it was GCE 'O' levels of which I failed to recognise the importance of so didn't revise, the only exam I received a grade A GCE 'O' level in was English Language through the understanding one knows it or one doesn't and I knew it because pre internet with only three channels on the TV I used to read a lot and my parents's attitude as regards words or terms I did not understand was to arm me with reference books so what I did not understand I could find out for myself.

But now I know my spelling is in peril for although the right big word comes to mind with ease when I am writing I have to use various online dictionaries to get the correct spelling as it irritates me if I feel the spelling of a word does not look right and so sad as it is I am finding I am having to resort to online spelling tests to improve my spelling where in the past pre internet I had no problems with it, that or punctuation and sentence construction.

Other online sources I use are etymology websites for some reason I need to understand the origin of a word, because meanings have been perverted through time and it is a fact some words in common parlance are just plain wrong but it is common parlance and so everyone believes is the correct word when it's not.

Could it be we are being Americanised ?

Edited by trekster

I came out of school with English Language, metalwork, art and seamanship, hardly anything useful and later got physics but never maths and I tried for that one several times and so understood I can only do maths when it is applied to something else to make it interesting as maths for the sake of maths is boring and I suffer a wandering mind.

But as the 'system' of education is designed for predominantly left brain thinking, that being you think different school is confusing. I am 50/50 no hemisphere dominant so I scraped through school with the constant school report; intelligent but lazy, day dreamer etc and bullying was not as offensive then as it is now as even teachers got in on the act.

But diagnoses were not around when I was at school, not anything useful anyway, so it was sink or swim to come out in the reign of Maggie with high unemployment in my area, so the apprenticeships for which I had been trained, metalwork etc were not available so it was YOP and YTS courses, basically little better than slave labour for £27.30 a week.

Edited by trekster

I went to special school where we did not do gcse's. level one is aquilavent to d-g gcse but I pushed myself so hard the college tutor dropped me back down to entry level no formal qualification. :(

I used to do e2e but they would never let me go in on Fridays when it was apprenticeships. So all the others on e2e was allowed but not me. I did not think that was fair. By 2 nd week I was chucked off the course as they put on a film that triggered flashbacks

I am dyslexic, I didnt know when I was in school, I just struggled and couldnt keep up and never knew why. And I failed all my GCSE's too because of it :( when i started college i was offered a free dyslexia test and thats when i found out i was dyslexic. Shame i didnt know sooner, my life might have been different if i had done well at school!

Huge trouble with grammer and punctuation and spelling, very slow at reading, cant follow the words easily in order, loose my place a lot and then cant find where i was. Wasnt able to keep up with note taking in school either and had no help with any of it as i wasnt diagnosed! It left me struggling with all subjects, i fell behind and kinda gave up on school in the end, now i am 26 and have no qualifications :( life could have been so different with the right help! Thats why i will fight for Jack not matter what/who gets in my way :)

I think that u got some smarts, special. I too wish my life had gone different. I am where I am here and now, and I am grown up so I have more power to choose how I live and what I do to do better.

Everyone has some kind of dyslexia, People use the word 'learning difficulty' so often. If learning was easy, you wouldn't be learning would you? Theres no one i know that is good at everything. I can't sing, so i'm dyslexic at signing, same principal.

Some people that are dyslexic in maths, are very good at english, and vice versa. Special talent, you are a very good campainer, and a very good talker. that's just were some of your talent's and strenghs lie. most of your talents and strenghs im sure your not even aware of.

Spelling and grammer aint everything.

Edited by A-S warrior

Huge trouble with grammer and punctuation and spelling, very slow at reading, cant follow the words easily in order, loose my place a lot and then cant find where i was. Wasnt able to keep up with note taking in school either and had no help with any of it as i wasnt diagnosed! It left me struggling with all subjects, i fell behind and kinda gave up on school in the end, now i am 26 and have no qualifications :( life could have been so different with the right help! Thats why i will fight for Jack not matter what/who gets in my way :)

I loose track where read and end up reading the same paragraph over and over.. I only passed my ecdl course because tutor identified my weak areas but noticed I could learn better visual. Do u learn best that way?

Everyone has some kind of dyslexia, People use the word 'learning difficulty' so often. If learning was easy, you wouldn't be learning would you? Theres no one i know that is good at everything. I can't sing, so i'm dyslexic at signing, same principal.

Some people that are dyslexic in maths, are very good at english, and vice versa. Special talent, you are a very good campainer, and a very good talker. that's just were some of your talent's and strenghs lie. most of your talents and strenghs im sure your not even aware of.

Spelling and grammer aint everything.

Learning difficulty and learning disability are identified as two different meanings. I'm awful at maths and don't understand division I can add up only using fingers or on paper but cannot take away. I use calculator but still get it wrong and leave myself short of money. I'm not great talker as struggle to express what I mean and frequently have to refer to writing and my speaking app . Been told express myself better in writing than speaking

I learn best visually and by physically doing things. I found learning by reading very hard, I could read what was written down but didnt understand much of it! I was better with listening, so if the teacher read something out to the class I could picture and imagine what they were reading and that was better than reading which made it easier to remember and understand. But usually in school they want you to read it yourself! I sometimes find i read over the same bit of something but not that often, mostly i loose my place and then struggle to find it again and end up getting frustrated because it takes so long to read something. Computers are great, they mean I can spell and help with the grammer by putting a red line under everything that's wrong!

I think that sometimes showing someone how to do something is better than giving a person written instructions. A word may mean little to someone where pointing an object or performing an action will say a lot. It's easier to learn to dance by dancing rather than reading about dancing in a book.

so it was YOP and YTS courses, basically little better than slave labour for £27.30 a week.

Hey I'm just before you then as I did two YOP courses for what was then £25 p/w

Learning difficulty and learning disability are identified as two different meanings.

I think the new term now is "difference" as these two terms are derogatory.

Dyslexia comes under the banner of Special Learning Disability (SpLD) - or "difference" and is not just about literacy, writing and spelling etc. Handwriting may be messy with letters jumbled or reversed. There may be problems with unfamiliar words or irregular words, phonological skills, identifying and using sounds in words and particular problems in telling the difference between b/p/d, v/th and g/j sounds. There may be visual-perceptual skills such as following words from left to right on a page, words popping out from the page, leaving letters out of words, putting them in the wrong order etc.

Dyslexia comes under the banner of Special Learning Disability (SpLD) - or "difference" and is not just about literacy, writing and spelling etc. Handwriting may be messy with letters jumbled or reversed. There may be problems with unfamiliar words or irregular words, phonological skills, identifying and using sounds in words and particular problems in telling the difference between b/p/d, v/th and g/j sounds. There may be visual-perceptual skills such as following words from left to right on a page, words popping out from the page, leaving letters out of words, putting them in the wrong order etc.

I am diagnosed with mild learning disability, because my IQ is low. This is why im in a supported housing for learning disabilities and why went to a special school . My handwriting can get messy- scribble out too much miss out words in my writing. I took the checklist and it came as having mild dyslexia.

I am dyslexic, I didnt know when I was in school, I just struggled and couldnt keep up and never knew why. And I failed all my GCSE's too because of it :( when i started college i was offered a free dyslexia test and thats when i found out i was dyslexic. Shame i didnt know sooner, my life might have been different if i had done well at school!

I empathise as someone who really struggled with reading at school. My dyslexia is unusual in that i can read upside down better than the right way up. If anyone knows of a driver for a pc that inverts your screen and stays that way please let me know.

i also find reading longer posts on here and longer pages of text in general harder to do so tend to skip over posts with just 1 block of text or a few paragraphs. Dyselxia can affect those with a learning disability like ST and those without an academic learning disability like myself.

It is possible to have a number of different diagnoses associated with ASD. In fact all my co morbid diagnoses are related to ASD.

ST you are welcome re the dyslexia observation, however many symptoms do overlap. Dyslexia is about more than just reading and writing it's to do with language processing, organisational skills and pronoucing words which i have difficulties with to a degree. My dyslexia tends to be quite severe when i am tired or overloaded and i can end up stuttering, my hands can shake so much that im unable to write or text what i need to say when i become non verbal. So i become uncommunicative under prolonged stress. This is a rare occurrance for me. What is a common occurance for me is using a term that doesnt match to the seriousness of the situation. eg if im really upset about something the words i use may come accross as being slightly annoyed rather than really mad at them.

i have severe left-right confusion resulting in my inability to set a dinner table (and since it rarely occurs in our house i dont see the need to learn how to either). Once i was having a driving lesson and my instructor told me i'd gone the wrong way. "you said to turn left" i told him. "yes but you've just gone right" he replied. It really broke the ice with him and we had a laugh about it that lesson.

Meanings change and people with knowledge of old meanings become clueless, I am one of them, but dyslexia it was thought I had but it turned out to be Asperger's and the reason it was thought to dyslexia is because when I hand write, I write in capital letters only, it is clear and precise where things hanging below lines are messy and can become confusing. I was also diagnosed with dyspraxia because I cannot automatically determine left from right or up from down and I have no awareness of where my limbs are without looking when I am doing anything different from normal and so why I learn dancing, choreographies are learned movements, it's slow learning with me but I am getting better, but zills I am learning now where it is hoped I will be able to play them whilst I dance- they are having a laugh on that as if I am doing something with one part of the body I cannot do something different with another part of the body as that has always been me.

i also find reading longer posts on here and longer pages of text in general harder to do so tend to skip over posts with just 1 block of text or a few paragraphs. Dyselxia can affect those with a learning disability like ST and those without an academic learning disability like myself.

It is possible to have a number of different diagnoses associated with ASD. In fact all my co morbid diagnoses are related to ASD.

ST you are welcome re the dyslexia observation, however many symptoms do overlap. Dyslexia is about more than just reading and writing it's to do with language processing, organisational skills and pronoucing words which i have difficulties with to a degree. My dyslexia tends to be quite severe when i am tired or overloaded and i can end up stuttering, my hands can shake so much that im unable to write or text what i need to say when i become non verbal. So i become uncommunicative under prolonged stress. This is a rare occurrance for me. What is a common occurance for me is using a term that doesnt match to the seriousness of the situation. eg if im really upset about something the words i use may come accross as being slightly annoyed rather than really mad at them.

i have severe left-right confusion resulting in my inability to set a dinner table (and since it rarely occurs in our house i dont see the need to learn how to either). Once i was having a driving lesson and my instructor told me i'd gone the wrong way. "you said to turn left" i told him. "yes but you've just gone right" he replied. It really broke the ice with him and we had a laugh about it that lesson.

I also do that, i skip reading long posts because its not possible to read.

Yes like I have ASD, Dyspraxia, Learning disabilities

Quotes I have taken from the dyslexia association that fit me in which are from primary and secondary school indications

produces messy work with many crossings out and words tried several times, eg wippe, wype, wiep, wipe
I am often Crossing out words because they are either spelt wrong or not right

has poor handwriting with many ‘reversals’ and badly formed letters

I am assuming problems referring to grammar and punctuation

produces badly set-out written work, doesn’t stay close to the margin

I have to use lined paper but i still end up with writing and or down the line

has poor pencil grip[/color]]

Yes causing a lot of pain

produces phonetic and bizarre spelling: not age/ability appropriate

If this means getting your spelling in wrong order i do that on certain words.

has a poor standard of written work compared with oral ability

writing scribbled missed out grammar and punctuation using repeatition of the word and was in sentence. Orally I failed to even take an oral test at special school due to my ASD

speed of processing: spoken and/or written language slow

Yes I just sit in a chair waiting for someone to help me. I often cant remember what has been said to me and when hand write i am really slow like a4 paper taken me an hour to handwrite. It just like reading books I have to re- read over and over because I cannot process the book.

has difficulty following instructions

Yes like when did work experience, was asked to do something with tagging and in a report said I had got it wrong several times when were explained to me.

is hesitant and laboured in reading, especially when reading aloud

I get stuck on reading words and so i hesistant.

misses out words when reading, or adds extra words

Yes when reading i lose track of where I am, and gets on another line

loses the point of a story being read or written

Definitely

has difficulty in picking out the most important points from a passage

Yes its hard for me to find the key points

is confused by symbols such as + and x signs

Yes

has difficulty remembering anything in a sequential order, eg tables, days of the week, the alphabet

Yes forgotten the times table and multiplication. I have to regrentually use a calculator but sometimes i still get it wrong with calculator.

has difficulty in learning to tell the time

Staff at college told me off because when they said go back to less at Ten to, I literally went to class at the clock saying Ten

has difficulty remembering what day of the week it is, their birth date, seasons of the year, months of the year
yes regrentualy forget what day it is and what month were in and the season.

has poor motor skills, leading to weaknesses in speed, control and accuracy of the pencil

Yes

is confused by the difference between left and right, up and down, east and west

Yes when taxi driver says do I go left or right, I have to pause for like 5 mins and think and if i cant think i say pointing that side.

is easily distracted

Yes by little things even like something something like someone eating or drinking or even singing

is the class clown or is disruptive or withdrawn (these are often cries for help

Dont know what class clown means but the class i been in often are disruptive when i want to learn and others disrupt it.

is excessively tired due to amount of concentration and effort required

Yes

Has neat handwriting, but writes very slowly indeed

Yes

Has difficulty with punctuation and/or grammar

Definitely

Has difficulty taking notes in lectures

Yes

Finds tasks difficult to complete on time

Can take me a whole lesson and still not completed or done the task

Omits, repeats or adds extra words

like before repeats the words and was

Reads at a reasonable rate, but has a low level of comprehension

Yes

Misses a line or repeats the same line twice

Often happens

Loses his place - or uses a finger or marker to keep the place

And again often happens

Finds difficulty with dictionaries, directories, encyclopaedias

Yes I cannot read nor understand them

Finds difficulty remembering tables and/or basic number sets

yes

Finds sequencing problematic

At a certain degree some i can but the other ones i struggle

Finds tasks difficult to complete on time

Can take me a whole lesson and still not completed or done the task

Omits, repeats or adds extra words

like before repeats the words and was

Reads at a reasonable rate, but has a low level of comprehension

Yes

Misses a line or repeats the same line twice

Often happens

Loses his place - or uses a finger or marker to keep the place

And again often happens

Finds difficulty with dictionaries, directories, encyclopaedias

Yes I cannot read nor understand them

Finds difficulty remembering tables and/or basic number sets

yes

Finds sequencing problematic

At a certain degree some i can but the other ones i struggle

Can think at a high level in mathematics, but needs a calculator for simple calculations

too dependant on calculator. Not sure about high level as im no formal qualification level in Maths

Finds mental arithmetic at speed very difficult

Yes

Has difficulty in learning foreign languages

Yes

Misunderstands complicated questions

Definitely

I find writing in block capitals impossible!!! not great when filling in forms.

It's like trying to eat a doughnut without licking your lips. You try so hard to avoid lower case letters, but one always creeps through.

My brother is dyslexic and struggled all the way through school. When he went to school, the term 'dyslexia' had only started being used and my mum was convinced he had it but no-one would listen to her and she was told to her face by one particular teacher that my brother was thick and there was no point in teaching him. My mum persevered and researched and in time took my brother to a specialist where all sorts of practical suggestions were made for him to be able to read and learn better. By this time though my brother had given up on formal education in huge part because of teachers' attitudes towards him and being bullied by his peers and to my knowledge has no qualifications at all to date. He never put any of the suggestions into practice and used his special glasses (tinted lenses in a colour which would make reading easier) as sunglasses.

My son is not dyslexic but 25 years later, hearing that the local primary school with the special unit attached has a very dismissive view of the importance of teaching dyslexic children to suit their learning problems I had huge reservations about sending him there. He is autistic but if they can say that assessing for dyslexia is 'unimportant' and that it is simply 'a label the child doesn't need' when it will affect every aspect of that child's school experience, how little understanding will they potentially have of an autistic child's learning style, sensory problems or different way of thinking?

Smiley, there are practical solutions now to help people with dyslexia. I believe you would be able to get some help and you could ask your support staff about this. The first step would be to be assessed properly to know for sure how to proceed.

Hi,

There was one on Newsround yesterday too, at 5pm UK time. My Mum had told me about it . I watched it with my younger son, as we think he has dyslexia - we hopefully get some results back tonight from some tests he's had. It was interesting, and made him realise that he isn't stupid - it's not his fault he has problems reading.

Diane

One thing ive noticed about autistic/dyslexic friends of mine is that they cannot summarise what they're saying and speak in very long sentences. But they also have stronger logical skills for practical tasks.