Mannify

The best of 2012?

What have been your highlights of 2012, whether they be global, national or personal?

Personally, I was pleasantly surprised to derive such enjoyment from the Olympics and Paralympics, and I would certainly say that they were a national highlight. Despite depressed financial conditions, this year's summer of sport is what will distinguish 2012 from other years. I know I'll never forget the collective excitement felt by the whole family as we cheered Mo Farah past the finish line.

I've just finished a degree, which hasn't been a particularly ecstatic occasion for me, but back in August I received a single module result which was a source of, well, pleased-ness and which I can view as a kind of highlight.

Last month I spent a weekend with my sister, which was the first time I had been away without the children for a decade. Love my children as I do, the break was restorative and something I'll likely remember for years to come.

Well, they're some of mine. How about everyone else?

The highlight (and perhaps lowlight) was finding out things about myself that I suspected but have come to the light of day. Like having several traits that are a hallmark of AS.

Mixed emotions with the confirmation coupled with a sense of bewilderment and relief and now knowing who I really am.

Th obvious highlight for me was finding the answer to a twenty two year old question, a question that had caused by much heartache, confusion and yes self destructive motivations, as I had had enough and desired to know what I was and so now I know, for I am an XXY.

The next highlight will be for me to get out of learned destructive behaviours and find where in society I actually fit in as I am kind of lost at the moment, so maybe this time next year I will have completed that goal.

And then after that, start living.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Oh yeah - that was gross!! That's one of your highlights?!?!?! ;)

I have loads of highlights in a year that has been pretty varied, I've had some really rough patches this year, dropping out of studying, food issues, my hand is still not great, had some really depressive times this year, none of which I feel the need to go into...

But...

I can go out by myself for the first time in years and have done so for a few months now, I am starting to eat without stress - not much food - but much less stress and that's a big thing, I've come off meds, found a best mate who is for keeps, I've decided to put the studies to one side, am working on addressing numerous issues I have (emotional, physical, psychological - amongst many others), I've found a degree of relaxation I haven't really experienced in my adult life without booze or drugs, I've cut down smoking, have been swimming twice (even though I can't swim well its been fun), I sorta think I'm "alright" and that in itself is massive because I hated my guts a few months ago.

This isn't counting all the other stuff either - I could write more but I do not wish to do so at this time.

I guess if you look for opportunities you will find them - if you look for the bad in things you will find that too.

Now I just need to deal with my puke phobia which is still as strongly disturbing as ever!!! :lol:

Oh yeah - that was gross!! That's one of your highlights?!?!?! ;)

I think this year, there has been too many of them to list, so i thought of the funniest. I have a cat and dog food phobia as it happens, i cant even hold the can. That stuff just grosses me out no end.

Maybe some phobias have a degree of justification - I worked in a factory that set aside meat for pet food and I wholeheartedly agree that it is worthy of a phobia (especially when you have seen what ###### goes into that stuff!!!!).

Not a huge array of highlights for me this year... been a bit of a quiet one in relation to other years. I've had to give up doing what I loved - photographing bands and traveling abroad, often combining the two. My father came to visit and I hadn't seen him in 14 / 15 years and it all managed to go t**s up due to his girlfriend, so he's no longer in my life, after three years of actually enjoying him being 'around'.

The good, I guess, is pretty depressing in one sense. I've been taken seriously enough to be sent to Sheffield to see a geneticist about a diagnosis that I figured might be a possibility myself. Turns out that I may well have been right, just waiting to see what they write to my GP. I also got my diagnosis of AS... and whilst I wasn't shocked, it wasn't what I was expecting considering I was only going to see the psychologist at work to discuss work related issues!

Now that I know I have AS I think things will be a lot easier, as I am now constantly learning about myself and the way I interact within it. Things make more sense and I no longer feel I have to justify being 'odd'... I can just 'be'!.

I'm hoping that 2013 is going to be a good one... I'm due one! :)

lol google search. Ihave no idea who that is. :lol:

I could enlighten everyone as Le Tour is my passion. However, most people seem to find the topic incredibly boring so I only talk about it in July.

I don't find it boring - you could start a topic and ramble on to your hearts content Linnet - I watched a large percent of 'Le Tour' and enjoyed it thoroughly as I have done for many years since I was a kid - although I have missed quite a few years through depression which is a shame in my view :)

I don't find it boring - you could start a topic and ramble on to your hearts content Linnet - I watched a large percent of 'Le Tour' and enjoyed it thoroughly as I have done for many years since I was a kid - although I have missed quite a few years through depression which is a shame in my view :)

It's great to find a fellow fan, Darkshine. I will start a topic in 2013.

I'd love to relive that last stage where the Sky team got Cavendish through to win, it was brilliant to watch - I'm looking forward to next years Tour, and I would find a topic on it interesting as I have got out of the loop with it, and I do thoroughly enjoy the event - I have a countdown in my head waiting for the next one in summer :D

I should say getting into a relationship was a highlight - but, as I said at the time, it doesn't resolve the other issues in my life.

I have had quite a good year,however its been overshadowed by something so negative it has made all the positives insignificant.

I to enjoyed the olympics,especially the paralympics as we live near stoke mandeville hopital and the guttman centre where it all began. It was great to see community spirit. I travelled to London with my eldest son,very big deal for me as I hate travelling especially trains. We went to the London excel to see some paralympic events which again was wonderful to see people from all walks of life coming to enjoy the event together.

Best personal thing was my daughters birth my first lil girl amoungst four boys. Very special moment. I also am so proud of my 12 year and 9 year old's achievements. Both boys are on their school council's(at their respective schools) they have also made remarkable improvements academically. Especially rewarding for my 9 year old(Sam) due to his ASD,he had missed almost 18mths of school due to being in the wrong environment and then completley out of any education as we could not find anything suitable, so I am truelly amazed and proud at what he has achieved in such a short space of time.

The negative thing is the family court system which has made so many mistakes and delays it has cause me such stress,my family are surprised I have not collapsed! Something that was meant to be sorted in April is still ongoing!!! It is even putting my career at risk,which again is causing me stress!

Here's hoping it will be resolved in 2013 and my family can finally move forward, Wishing everyone a very happy new year.