oakers

Support groups vs forums

So here are my questions to you guys: how many of you have access to support groups in your local area, and if you do, how many of you find them helpful?

I've not got anything available to me nearby, with the nearest being about 40 - 60 mins drive away at best.

And, for those of you who don't have support groups available, would you utilise them if they were?

Thirdly, do you think that a forum like this is a good substitute if no face-to-face support groups are available?

Closest thing we had to support group was social group meet others like ourselves work on social interaction/social skills and communication but due to lack of volunteers lost volunteers rapid,suddenly went to none existent ... They have got another social group about roughly 10 miles from where I live my town means organising transport to get there and attend each week without fail! Be way too much stress and anxiety wise be overwhelming! Can't see social group in our local area/town coming back any time soon if ever that is! Haven't anything on this matter/situation such a sad shame like everything these days seems to end suddenly sharply causing shock disbelief outrage upset as it is many out there social interaction lifeline to world each week now it gone not there what next where this leave them! In same boat as always feeling bitter angry resentful hurt and let down/disappointed that journey short lived and all ends up same way as everything else broken promises equals wounded damaged self esteem which already at an all time low! Don't think NAS went into new local pilot project excited,keen eager but also blinded by it which ruined spoilt the fun behind what it suppose be all about to begin with! :( I'm truly gutted! As know if does start up once again many AS young adults/parents/guardians won't be doing so second time round incase happens once again to be let down disappointed wouldn't be good! I found it real power boost meeting others now dream team scheme gone downhill! Hope it does come back soon can't see it myself it crushing blow to the system! You'd think NAS would know better than let down/disappoint us as they know most of us there present have been through past same old ghost hurtful upsetting stale resentful feelings eating you literally up inside by look on someone face who attended group could see the positive impact on them! :(

what support groups. if its the ASD support groups, I only belong to treksters a little as not live over there. But the local ASD group I got turned away because I have autism, and not HFA/aspergers so i was upset

I was meaning for any of us, no matter where we are on the spectrum.

Lack of formal support seemed to be a key feature in what I'd read since diagnosis, for those of us diagnosed in adulthood. So, I was interested in what others thought about the topic, given that we're all located in different parts of the country (or in fact, other countries in some instances).

Doesn't seem a very helpful attitude for them to have if there is nothing else in place for people ST.

I really do wonder why there isn't more support out there for us older people!

Hi oakers, support for older people is very poor indeed throughout most of the country I think, this is what I have found anyway. Once you are over 18 it seems there isn't much around in the way of support groups which I think is very sad. Just because you are in law 'an adult' doesn't mean that you suddenly don't need any support anymore, in fact in a lot of cases you need more support as an adult.

Nope, online is only thing I have got, no family around, no friends these days and certainly no external support groups. I live on my own and so places like here are the only community support I have and the way things are going I believe I am set to lose even that very shortly.

Just as I thought really, not much around for anyone :( really is a sad state when you see that more and more people need the help.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that the kids coming through the system now are usually getting the support they need (I realise this is not always the case) but it does anger me that we, the older ones, are left to suffer in silence if we can't access forums etc. I think it's very important for people to have outlets for exp<b></b>ression and did wonder whether those that did have access to support groups found it easier to do this online or at a group, actually with people.

There is nothing for adults nearby to me. I have thought of trying to find out if anything is possible around here though as there are a couple of schools in the area so there must be parents and adults who have ASDs. There is also a cafe run by autism initiatives so maybe there's a glimmer of hope.

I also feel that given the fact that forums are usually the only support for a lot of people they should feel welcome to post, whether their opinions differ to others or not, whether they are argumentative or tow the line all the time, etc. what I've seen over the past couple of days is upsetting because people are feeling, rightly or wrongly, got at, instead of supported and welcome :( even if this is seen to be a minority it shouldn't be happening :/

I've said my two pennies before so we must be getting closer to 5p by now... Sorry if people don't like what I am saying but it's important to me that everyone is treated fairly ;/ we're treated differently all too often in the 'real world'.

Edited by oakers

Yes we need forums like this one, forums are sometimes the only support we have so we must hang onto them :-)

Too many so-called support groups in real life are nothing more than stage-managed social groups. I am so not interested in bowling!

Well some of us are Aeolienne it helps with social skills

Evidence?

This is turning a bit adversarial. What doesn't work for one, will work for another and vice versa. Leave it at that and leave out the snarky comments.

Life is too short.

My lad is 19 and he attends a social group once a week. That stops at age 21 though and that will soon come around! The next step is an adult group that just meets once a month at a pub about 15 minutes from us, but he wouldn't really be able enough to take part in that I don't think and he couldn't get there on his own anyway, so really when he turns 21 he is on his own!

~ Mel ~

There's a group here (even a self-help organisation), and I've attended once, but I found it too confusing/overwhelming. I think forums are better because you can choose the time to interact freely.

Forums win for me everytime, especially this one. :=) Forums are for all age groups they don't stop as soon as someone turns a certain age like support groups seem to.

Don't know if there are any near me. How do you find out? The diagnosis of my daughter has made me have bit of a wobble and no-one has given me information like that. Hence I found this forum...

There's a group here (even a self-help organisation), and I've attended once, but I found it too confusing/overwhelming. I think forums are better because you can choose the time to interact freely.

I agree with Shnoing...this is the reason why i like the forum. I cannot commit to doing anything at the same time each week as sometimes i'd be able to make it and other times i'd feel too overwhelmed. It would just add stress to my life. The forum is a form of support which under my own control, don't have to worry about who might be there, or how i should behave, who i should be talking to, how i should dress....what if i can't get my words out etc....! The only reason i would attend a support group is it might be interesting to actually meet others with aspergers, and maybe have the chance to help younger people who have it.

Hi Soda perhaps you could ask social services if they know of any local support groups, or even google support groups + your area and see what comes up, just a thought.

I think the easiest way is to google support groups in your area... that's what I did and realised quickly that there were none!!

I too like the idea of the forum, but I guess interaction with people is sometimes good for us right!? ;)

Does NAS mean National aspergers/autism society...? Just a guess.... Who are they?

Yes, it's them, the national autistic association, the definitive word on autism in the uk

http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/find-nas-services-in-your-area/local-branches/branches-in-england/branches-in-south-west-england.aspx

Ahhh I see. Not sure how i missed this! Like most areas of my life, either I know A LOT about something, or ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Ahhh I see. Not sure how i missed this! Like most areas of my life, either I know A LOT about something, or ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

That is the same as me and mention sport and I will really switch off, but I have a thing about questioning, I wish to know, I ask and I know it bugs some people, but well tough, if those it bugs are honest in their intentions then they should welcome questions.

On 1/13/2013 at 3:48 PM, Merry said:

I agree with Shnoing...this is the reason why i like the forum. I cannot commit to doing anything at the same time each week as sometimes i'd be able to make it and other times i'd feel too overwhelmed. It would just add stress to my life. The forum is a form of support which under my own control, don't have to worry about who might be there, or how i should behave, who i should be talking to, how i should dress....what if i can't get my words out etc....! The only reason i would attend a support group is it might be interesting to actually meet others with aspergers, and maybe have the chance to help younger people who have it.

I've got the feeling I have to make an update here:

Now my son has reached age 17 I'm in fact moderating a self-help group of young people on the spectrum (aged 16-25), with (by now) 7 participants (4 male, 3 female). We're meeting every 4 weeks, since fall 2020 (the rules here allow face-2-face meetings of self-help groups for medical reasons for a number of diagnoses, e.g. autism, even during the lockdown phases).

Sure, some users on forums are helpful. But in this day of age, a lot of folk tend to be contributing more on Facebook and Twitter than visiting message boards. 

Edited by Gold MD
I hate typos. I really do. :D