darkshine

Community

First of all you have to define what a community is in order to understand if this place is one

Merriam Webster's definition can be found at ;

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/community

Where it states a community is a unified body of individuals with various other criteria to describe where as far as I can ascertain not a great deal fits here.

But as to the basics; a unified body of individuals

Individuals yes mostly through ASD

Unified, that depends on the context of unification

And so I can conclude this forum is a community sometimes and sometimes not, the not, depending on the context.

I see this place as a meeting house. It has it's core of regulars, who I would say are the community then a few occasional contributors who are on the edges and a whole lot of voyeurs.

Communication is not my forte, so I will never feel part of the core. I haven't struck up a rapport with anyone apart from playing a word game which was fun, but that is me in RL, so why should it be different here?

It feels like being in A&E comparing wounds, getting a little solace and friendly advice.

At the moment I have an ambivalent relationship with this forum which is actually very tiring.

Excellent question Darkshine

I see it as an interactive collection of members with common values and harmony

"######" is derived from Latin and means "with/together" whilst "munus" is a broad term for fellowship

I think you can make a forum a community but there needs to be a level of respect amongst all those who participate, and that includes the moderators.

Oh, the system appears to have taken my latin term as a swear word. Take the first three letters of "community" and substitute the "o" for "u" - if you know what I mean. "c*m" is the latin term I meant

I think you can make a forum a community but there needs to be a level of respect amongst all those who participate, and that includes the moderators.

Off-topic I know, but why is everyone bashing the moderators lately? Makes me think "community" is perhaps the wrong word

Off-topic I know, but why is everyone bashing the moderators lately? Makes me think "community" is perhaps the wrong word

I'm not bashing anyone. If moderators don't respect 'us' and 'we' don't respect the moderators how can a community work?

I think when I look at the community I live in, which doesn't really feel like a community to me because I am not involved in it, we might all have different views and perceptions.

Say a large supermarket chain wants to demolish a nice old pub, some might welcome that for the convenience of shopping, some might value the old pub, some might resent the control of said chain and protest, some might not mind and have no opinion - does that mean it is not a community?

If Mrs Jones protests.

If Mr Singh praises.

If Miss Theodopolopidus sends a letter to the paper about the historical value of the building.

If Ms Kennedy doesn't care.

If Dr. Watson stays out of it because he is busy.

Does that mean there is no community?