darkshine

Forum

To be a place that is useful to those with ASD and those in the care of those with ASD in that as our concerns arise they can be advised on as without open and honest communication we learn nothing and isn't that the actual purpose of identifying a condition such as this, to help those with it ?

But in comparison to other places that deal with private and emotive topics I do believe there should be a private forum screened from the outside and non adults or even a madhouse where the ASD can congregate to speak in ASD language unhindered so as not to offend others.

For any comments or feedback to moderators that could be considered negative to go directly via PM to mods.

That includes questions about changes we have made to your posts.

I came here to learn and eventually post a few thoughts.

But in comparison to other places that deal with private and emotive topics I do believe there should be a private forum screened from the outside and non adults or even a madhouse where the ASD can congregate to speak in ASD language unhindered so as not to offend others.

This was discussed months ago, nothing has happened

I came here to learn and eventually post a few thoughts.

This was discussed months ago, nothing has happened

I know, and it is why I brought it up again as the question posed by Darkshine was what would people like from a forum such as this and that is something I would like.

Well when i started i wanted to change everyones views. In fact sa skimrande, i have an old thread you might be interested in called warriors mission, changing your view on aspergers forever. it was my first thread, don't know if you caught it or not, i'll dig it out if you like.

Going back to the main point, i got more than i expected with some of the support and help i have recived. and i quess friendship was a good bonus. Espeshilly the OP to this topic.

Edited by A-S warrior

I know, and it is why I brought it up again as the question posed by Darkshine was what would people like from a forum such as this and that is something I would like.

Agreed

What would I like?

Well, firstly I use this forum for help and support for my own difficulties knowing that I won't be judged and to learn

What I would like however is for people to post a bit more about what having AS is like for them, i.e. more personal thoughts and how the condition really affects them in daily life. What people find most difficult, how they perceive themselves and where they fit/or not fit in general society. I have seen videos of Aspies on youtube describing exactly these things and would like members to post here.

Also, is there a database on the forum detailing what AS is and its typical expressions in the following areas of development: (?)

social skills

use of language

behavioural and stylistic characteristics such as repetitive or persevering features

range of interests/hobbies.

If not, can we have one?

And I know it's in opposition to the title but can we have less personal attacks please.

It'd be nice to think that people could talk openly about issues that are bothering them, without feeling that they need to overly moderate themselves.

I came here to learn more about my diagnosis of AS and hopefully get to know like minded people along the way.

I'd have to say I think, after reading the topic on Tech forum, that I think if the rules are going to be so strictly adhered to from now on that perhaps there should be a forum that is accessible to forum members only, and of a specified age. Restricting people from saying what they need to / feel they want to because of what someone 'might' see seems a little wrong to me.

Well when i started i wanted to change everyones views. In fact sa skimrande, i have an old thread you might be interested in called warriors mission, changing your view on aspergers forever. it was my first thread, don't know if you caught it or not, i'll dig it out if you like.

Going back to the main point, i got more than i expected with some of the support and help i have recived. and i quess friendship was a good bonus. Espeshilly the OP to this topic.

observe the saying;

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink

and further observe;

Every Great Journey starts with the first step

and I will go on with ;

Rome wasn't built in a day

That being by listening to users and what they want out of their forum you stand to make progress and perhaps unconsciously invite more participation in the process.

Or is it;

This forum is not the user's forum, in which case those that come here just have to put up and shut up if they want to use the forum because a minority control everything that is said ?

Choose which way you wish to go as with it users will also choose which way they wish to go, it is a very simple equation, do you serve the users or do lord over them ?

For any comments or feedback to moderators that could be considered negative to go directly via PM to mods.

That includes questions about changes we have made to your posts.

Not wishing to cause problems but wouldn't that be subjective? What some might find negative, others might not. I'd expect that if posts have been changed by a moderator, that the moderator involved should PM the person it effects as they do so, therefore the person will know why this has happened and can then discuss further if they wish to. Expecting people to know why things are done if nothing is said is a little... daft!?

observe the saying;

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink

and further observe;

Every Great Journey starts with the first step

and I will go on with ;

Rome wasn't built in a day

That being by listening to users and what they want out of their forum you stand to make progress and perhaps unconsciously invite more participation in the process.

Or is it;

This forum is not the user's forum, in which case those that come here just have to put up and shut up if they want to use the forum because a minority control everything that is said ?

Choose which way you wish to go as with it users will also choose which way they wish to go, it is a very simple equation, do you serve the users or do lord over them ?

These are all things i have pondered over the last year or so. I came on expecting to change peoples views, just like that, but it wasn't the case. Me being a typical asperger guy, i had my typical tunnel vision, and could only see from my perspective. One big thing this forum thought me was to see from others perspectives.

Edited by A-S warrior

Not wishing to cause problems but wouldn't that be subjective? What some might find negative, others might not. I'd expect that if posts have been changed by a moderator, that the moderator involved should PM the person it effects as they do so, therefore the person will know why this has happened and can then discuss further if they wish to. Expecting people to know why things are done if nothing is said is a little... daft!?

Yes good manners alone would suggest that is the way to go because autocratic behaviour causes conflict and bad feeling when in reality shouldn't be any if it is the forum is to remain friendly where I will venture to say recent behaviour comes across as someone taking their job too seriously and causing negative emotion.

Another forum I use has reputation bars, participants that like what a person says, they add to on site reputation, but I canot see that working here.

These are all things i have pondered over the last year or so. I came on expecting to change peoples views, just like that, but it wasn't the case. Me being a typical asperger guy, i had my typical tunnel vision, and could only see from my perspective. One big thing this forum thought me was to see from others perspectives.

If you wish to change anything especially where aspies are concerned you have to change things gently and slowly so as to really go largely unnoticed, make sweeping changes over night and people will kick up for that again is human nature and it is not just aspie for there is many an NT does not like change for traditionalism is for a reason, people get used to what they know, it is comfortable to them.

I could give you examples in society where change over a long period of time is being implemented, through ideology but I won't bore you with that, but you do understand what is happening on this forum is politics.

If you wish to change anything especially where aspies are concerned you have to change things gently and slowly so as to really go largely unnoticed, make sweeping changes over night and people will kick up for that again is human nature and it is not just aspie for there is many an NT does not like change for traditionalism is for a reason, people get used to what they know, it is comfortable to them.

I could give you examples in society where change over a long period of time is being implemented, through ideology but I won't bore you with that, but you do understand what is happening on this forum is politics.

Good post, and taken on board.

I wonder what people would like from a forum such as this.

Help finding a job would be nice.