A-S warrior

The forum debate topic.

This is the place to discuss all of your forum concerns, points, suggestions and issues. All forum related issues should be disscussesd in this topic. Once we reach consensus we shall contact lufty and request the forum updates.

With nearly 20,000 members there is bound to be differing views on any potential changes.

Regards,

Ben.

This is the place to discuss all of your forum concerns, points, suggestions and issues. All forum related issues should be disscussesd in this topic. Once we reach consensus we shall contact lufty and request the forum updates.

With nearly 20,000 members there is bound to be differing views on any potential changes.

Regards,

Ben.

1) moderators if they are participating in a discussion, that moderator cannot moderate that discussion to allay abuse and accusations of it.

2) moderators refrain from editing people posts under such guises as ensuring 'smooth flowing', as what does that mean ? This is a place for people to talk and if they can't say what they mean, then what is the point posting in the first place ?

3) moderators treat non moderators with the respect they deserve and moderate in an open and honest manner. If rules are broken, inform the person on open forum of what rule and why for the continued learning of everyone as rules will be quickly forgotten if they are not reiterated from time to time.

4) Given we can no longer post images to forums, how about a gallery, so people can share what they do ?

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Some good suggestions... I like the gallery idea :D , ..

Point 2).........You made regarding smooth flow and editing , this is used if posts are duplicated etc it is sometimes necessary to edit in this way.

On the whole though I think generally the forum runs rather well, and is a safe and friendly place to post.

I've been thinking about this a lot since all the goings on the other day...

1. I think that people should still feel comfortable enough to post. I've seen a couple of posts now where it has said that something has been edited for 'smooth flowing' or whatever... but who says that what a moderator considers smooth flowing is what other people do? We're all supposedly either on the spectrum or have children on the spectrum and therefore are probably quite tolerant with regards to the way people communicate.

If you start moderating the way in which people write, if there is no danger in what they are posting, you run the risk of alienating people, further than they are probably feeling alienated in life already.

2. For moderators to be considerate of forum members and vice versa. A forum will NEVER work if there isn't mutual respect amongst the majority of members and their moderators.

There's more but I'll come back with that in a bit.

Edited by oakers

2) moderators refrain from editing people posts under such guises as ensuring 'smooth flowing', as what does that mean ? This is a place for people to talk and if they can't say what they mean, then what is the point posting in the first place ?

Just going to touch on this.

So far i haven't actually edited an original post, all i do is merge posts, if someone has posted in succession within a short space of time. two reasons for this.

1) It keeps the thread clean, You surely cant have a problem with me, tidying the topic up? Some topics become like spam pages, it's just manners to tidy up, and so far i've had no issues from anybody on that. I'm not censoring anything, or taking anything away. I remember of a moderator here a while ago, who used to edit members posts to add punctuation, again it's just polite.

2) It's quicker for some members to post again, rather than edit there original post, or some just don't like to edit. I have no problem with that, it doesn't take a minute to fix the post. The editing of posts is just everyday moderating task.

In my opinion, if anybody wants it, the moderators should be able to do what they want. They are providing a free service in their own time. On another site i've been posting on, no one seems to moderate it and there are two people who just bully and intimidate others for the sake of it, writing nasty comments to everything people say. It's put me off going back. I don't post things to receive negative and unhelpful comments. Nobody likes that. Some people like to cause trouble for fun. Here, they won't be able to get away with it so i think careful moderation is a good thing. In a past thread when i first found this forum, i wrote a few things that i didn't think through...and if what i wrote was moderated, i'm glad about it. It took the moderators stepping in to make me realize that the topic wasn't appropriate. There have to be rules in order to keep most people happy most of the time. The moderators shouldn't need our permission to do their jobs, and i think it shows how sensitive they are to offer us a say in things.

Edited by Merry

Thankyou for your post merry, and it's good to have you back. I don't think we should be able to do what we want there are certain protocols we must follow, as well as being bound to forum rules. Our power must be used sparingly, and accordingly.

However (In my opinion anyway) we should be able to step in, and do what we have to do without disscussion of forum politics, i.e Why was my post deleted? etc. It can be a bannable offence on some forums, to discuss such things publicly.

Edited by A-S warrior

I look at it this way;

Who makes a forum ?

The moderators or the ordinary members ?

The answer to that is they both do, that being there has to be mutual respect for that to exist and in order to get that respect people have to be respected both ways and you cannot say respect us because we are moderators that does not wash, respect is earned.

I earned my respect already, being a moderator shouldn't diminish that respect ive built up over my last 1700+ posts. Ive earned my spot, and people see me as a friend.

I'm an ordinary member at heart, i'll never lose track of my roots here.

I digress however and agree with you sa skimrande. respect is everything.

Edited by A-S warrior

I agree A-S Warrior. You are doing us a service and i want to thank you for what you do.

Edited by Merry

Please could the site be upgraded to support https and/or the security certificate be fixed?

When I try to log in I get a "Your connection is not secure" warning from FireFox. If I explicitly put "https:" at the beginning of the URL, FireFox complains thus:

The owner of www.asd-forum.org.uk has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site. Chrome gives a similar warning.

Can anything be done?

While I'm at it, can anything be done to re-enable uploading avatars? I've tried png, jpg, large, small, nothing works. It justs shows the "uploading progress" circle, but the image doesn't change when the progress circle stops.