Sa Skimrande

Brushing Teeth ?

Is this a common stumbling point with those here with and in the care of ?

What are you like for brushing your teeth and am not going to think 'minger' at those that struggle in this department, because I am the same, I don't like brushing my teeth for some reason, yet, my teeth are fine, ones that need pulling I pull myself and ones that need filling I fill myself and I have a Dremel and flexi-shaft for de scaling along with various dental tools.

I'm better now. I got pericoronitis back in august, the pain was unreal, like someone screwing into my gum, i remember darkshine telling me to brave it out with the salt water, until i got to a dentist.

Got to the dentist, and was put on anti b's which proper mess with my head, and then had 3 dentist appointments in succession to chip away the hard on plaque. So it was a good soild month of torcher, but it taught me to look after my teeth.

I take very good care of the bottom row, near the gum line, where the plaque used to be. and also have a streamline brush for my wisdom teeth. not a fun job, but it's worth it.

I'm going to be brave and own up. I let my teeth get furry and then brush them, no regularity. zwhen I was bout 15 I was obsessive about brushing my teeth; I'd brush, get into bed, then get out again to brush again up to maybe five times, over and over again. Otherwise, I've tended to brush when I have bad breath or my teeth feel annoyinly plaque-ridden.

Unfortunately I'm the same and i don't learn my lessons where this is concerned! When i was little my mum used to tell me that caterpillars would grow in my mouth if i didn't brush them. That didn't work. I ended up having intensive flouride treatment, a banana flavoured coating on my teeth at the dentist to protect them. Now i know that was a dangerous thing! The WHO says there is NO safe amount of flouride for children! Never had any fillings or problems with them until after my pregnancy, had to have a couple of fillings (Not silver obviously, as the mercury is extremely poisonous). Still have to lie to my husband about brushing them....and when my mood gets low, teeth brushing is the first daily habbit to get dropped from my list of priorities!

I have to brush my teeth twice a day now and use mouth wash because of my COPD medication otherwise I would get thrush, previously I have gone years without brushing my teeth, My teeth are bad, I don't have enough teeth left to eat steak and do need false teeth but I'm scared of the dentist, I'm afraid my personal hygiene is not the best as it's also a struggle to bath.

I don't have much confidence, Have a very low opinion about myself and hate being autistic, I like my autistic mind but I hate the way others have treated me over the decades, I feel like a second class citizen and always have done but not only have I endured bullying from a young age at school I have been demeaned and treated like ###### from professionals and now just feel like a piece of dirt on someone's shoe with just the remnants left of who I used to be before I was destroyed!

I have to brush my teeth twice a day now and use mouth wash because of my COPD medication otherwise I would get thrush, previously I have gone years without brushing my teeth, My teeth are bad, I don't have enough teeth left to eat steak and do need false teeth but I'm scared of the dentist, I'm afraid my personal hygiene is not the best as it's also a struggle to bath.

I don't have much confidence, Have a very low opinion about myself and hate being autistic, I like my autistic mind but I hate the way others have treated me over the decades, I feel like a second class citizen and always have done but not only have I endured bullying from a young age at school I have been demeaned and treated like ###### from professionals and now just feel like a piece of dirt on someone's shoe with just the remnants left of who I used to be before I was destroyed!

I sympathise with you totally, I am much the same as you and second class citizen most definitely and especially given my status of on the sick in receipt of benefits and what is being meted out in my general direction by our traitorous government and their sycophants the rabid press via the uneducated and angry, spoiling for a scrap people where one of my friends a schizophrenic with the mad for life ticket has even been attacked for being a benefit scrounger. It's not good out there and so part of the reason I stay in most of the time with no TV.

The dentist, they couldn't wait to kick me off their books and they did after I made three peccadilloes due to the vagaries of public transport like three buses to get to my dentist and so why I do my own stuff now, am finished with dentists and it is getting very close regards my GP as well through their apparent lack of care, but I can sort my own issues out now I know what they are and I am currently researching doing my own hormone therapy courtesy of what can be bought online-progesterone creme

Edited by Sa Skimrande

I'm petrified of the dentist after getting bell's palsy after I'd had them cleaned once when I was younger. I'd always been very regimented with my teeth cleaning and had to do so at least twice a day. I have carried on like that, and insist on brushing them twice a day, although I don't floss as my teeth are too close together and I can't get floss between them without cutting myself!

Up to now I've still got a baby tooth and haven't had any fillings etc. Only two teeth to be extracted was one baby tooth that broke in half when I was in my 20s and then an impacted wisdom tooth. I NEVER want to have to go through surgery for the latter again, the recovery was horrific.

Edited by oakers

I'm petrified of the dentist after getting bell's palsy after I'd had them cleaned once when I was younger. I'd always been very regimented with my teeth cleaning and had to do so at least twice a day. I have carried on like that, and insist on brushing them twice a day, although I don't floss as my teeth are too close together and I can't get floss between them without cutting myself!

Up to now I've still got a baby tooth and haven't had any fillings etc. Only two teeth to be extracted was one baby tooth that broke in half when I was in my 20s and then an impacted wisdom tooth. I NEVER want to have to go through surgery for the latter again, the recovery was horrific.

Bell's Palsy- nasty, how long before that righted itself as I have known someone get it and it lasted years and it was attributed to an open window on a car when they were touring Switzerland- cold air on one side, warmer on the other.

But cleaning teeth, I can't floss either due the teeth being so close together after which fighting to get tape through the gaps they hit the gum and end up sore and bleeding- not good, so I don't anymore.

But I am having a lot of success with Arm and Hammer bicarbonate of soda laced toothpaste, that stuff cleans where brushes can't get and a quid a tube down the pound shop- winner.

I have to admit to being a bit rubbish at cleaning my teeth but it's usually a case that I can't be bothered. I normally only brush once a day, normally at night. I do like the feeling of nice clean teeth and I have to use Sensodyne now that my teeth are quite sensitive but as has been said before, when my mood is low then I'm not so bothered about my nashers.

Both my pregnancies loosened my teeth and caused fillings to fall out (and I have a few and mostly mercury ones I got virtually every visit to the dentist when I was a kid). I had to have root canal treatment after both children were born and had to endure toothache until I had stopped breastfeeding as they won't do the treatment incase it affects the baby through the milk.

I've eventually got a local NHS dentist and an approachable and honest one at that. Nice!

Bell's Palsy- nasty, how long before that righted itself as I have known someone get it and it lasted years and it was attributed to an open window on a car when they were touring Switzerland- cold air on one side, warmer on the other.

But cleaning teeth, I can't floss either due the teeth being so close together after which fighting to get tape through the gaps they hit the gum and end up sore and bleeding- not good, so I don't anymore.

But I am having a lot of success with Arm and Hammer bicarbonate of soda laced toothpaste, that stuff cleans where brushes can't get and a quid a tube down the pound shop- winner.

I was put on a really high dose of steroids the day after my symptoms started and the GP said we were lucky to catch it so quick. Mum thought I'd had a stroke, and as a young kid, that must have been quite scary for her to see. I think all up it was about 4 months before I got back to school, but it hadn't completely resolved by then. Interesting that you know someone who got it through a draft from a window as I was warned that I could end up getting it again via that, although was told that if I did get it again it would be unlikely to resolve itself again. I've been told that if I get super tired you can still tell I've had it.

It really is painful trying to floss with teeth like that isn't it!! No one else believes me!

I used to hate brushing my teeth when I was a child, the foam of toothpaste in my mouth used to make me gag. When I was in the bathroom, I used to scrub my toothbrush against the tiles on the wall to make it sound like I was brushing. My teeth turned yellow and I was teased at school and eventually my mother made the dentist tell me off so sternly that he made me cry.

Later in life I didn't used to bother much with my teeth, only brushing once a day and never flossing, etc., but I had terrible trouble with my gums, which used to bleed all the time. About ten years ago my dentist told me I had to start taking care of my teeth or else I would lose them due to gums receding. It took months of hard and painful work between the two of us to get my gums back to full health but since then I am meticulous about cleaning with an electric toothbrush and flossing every day. My sister, on the other hand, neglected hers and never bothered to work to bring her gums back to health; the result was that she had to have all her teeth removed a couple of months ago and now she has false teeth. They have affected her confidence and she can't talk properly. That makes me even more determined that that won't happen to me.

My husband, after a childhood trauma at the dentist, has a phobia of dentists and never goes. His teeth are in a disgusting state but he refuses to go and get them treated. He'll end up like my sister and then he will really regret it.

~ Mel ~

I have it on my schedule before leaving the house (for work) and before going to bed. Like this, it works.

Re. my son, it took a long time before he got used to the idea at home (before going to bed), even though they see to it at school (after lunch) and I think he had/has no probs there.