Sa Skimrande

The Benefits of Asperger's Syndrome- Your Little Professor

Big thanks Sa Skimrande, I loved this! Goin to read the rest of the website but there's a lot to take in! People should stop trying to change us and let us change the world! Maybe our faults only appear as faults, because the society we live in is all wrong. Maybe people with autism are here for a reason...maybe if the rest of the world let us follow our own paths, we could help to make a brighter future for everyone.

Why would this upset people A-S Warrior? I don't understand. Please explain why it was upsetting for people..... i'm very surprised by that. I personally feel that so much of my life was wasted by trying to fit into a world i didn't belong in, just to keep other people happy. The things which excited me had to be left behind because nobody understood. They didn't succeed in changing me anyway. All they did was push my real self deeper inside and i resent it. I don't want that to happen to the next generation. They might be the best hope our world has.

bare with me A-S Warrior, I don't get a lot of time to myself but am getting through it...actually i'm finding it quite fascinating...has made me decide to spend more time looking through old posts before starting new ones!!! Particularly the responses from LancsLad, real food for thought, valid points all round. So far, i just think everyone's responses added a lot of depth to your original post. I agree with you totally by the way, obviously, as i've been writing similar stuff...! But it has all made me think. Deffinitely worth a read.

Thanks skimrande, for posting this site...something that popped straight out at me without even reading through was horseback riding being good for children with ASD etc...This is something I tried to implement for my son a few years back ehen he was facing social interacitons problems at school..but the riding schools were at a distance from our home so it never materialised...As it was the first thing that stood out for i feel I need to look into it again..I know it will make such a difference to him and all aspects...

LOL i was saying all of this a year ago, but you lot were getting upset with me.

AS, no important message is ever lost, sometimes it can take alittle time for the message to take root...:)

I agree. Our opinions and needs change all the time. Once something is on this site, it's there then, for anyone who needs to read it in the future. You might not feel like you're helping anyone at the time, but you don't know what effect your words might have as time goes by. Sometimes advice people have given me in the past pop into my head at just the right time....even if it didn't mean much to me when they first said it. x

I once had a signature on here , one I use everywhere else I go online because it is true and that is;

Everything that we are is the result of what we have thought, the mind is everything and so it stands what we think, we become.

As our thoughts do shape us and everything we experience in whatever way it comes at us, consciously and unconsciously affects who we are and what we ultimately come to do and be, we are all leaves blown in the wind, that is, we are continuously learning whether we want to learn or not.

And so I second both Karmadestiny and Merry here in what they say and AS, don't worry about it for everything is noted and aids our continuous understanding whether we know it or not at the time, but our minds are vast libraries of the thoughts of others intermingling with our own and when the time is right the mind knows where to look for that important piece of the jigsaw to throw to the front.

I launched this article here because it occurred to me this website is steeped in negativity, people including me come here to moan about what travails them in their lives and I have felt it and I know I have transmitted it, I have felt the mood change from optimistic to it's unclean opposite but it is true we are under attack all the time from minds that want to control us for their own selfish gain, where the most insidious is that that comes under the wholesome banner of help.

For has anyone at all noticed the industry that has built up around autism ? There's money in it and where there is money there is the need to maintain that source of money. Think about it and what we are subjected to for having this label, this something that has been identified as common to a minority, always a minority you understand but a question;

Of those early identified to give rise to the theories that propelled this field of study, was life so difficult for them, or was it just a diference that was seen ?

And so is it a mountain has been made out of a molehill for personal gain in the ever strengthening religion of psychology where theories are constantly changing in the eternal human quest to understand the same question as what entity based religion was asking ?

And this that we are subjected to, the current theory of the day, this programming if you like, does it really serve us or is it what we are subjected to is in reality experimentation to see what fits and what doesn’t ? But of this treatment of the day, what of it when theories change, can we be reprogrammed or is it just a sad case of next through us having passed the tests of the day, no matter that they might have been wrong ?

We are being diminished by the education and I know it from my own personal perspective, fine I was in industry doing it my way, not perfect by all accounts, but it was working, I was bumping along and interested in what I was doing, and with me the interest over rides many other concerns including money, it always has, but when my wife at the time brought up AS because I was nothing like any she had been with before, that is when the attack started, knowledge of a disorder ate into me and destroyed much, mostly my self confidence through the belief I was badly flawed as I read accounts of already diagnosed AS people. In time I struggling in my work, I lost my job and then my marriage and my home, I fell completely apart and wandered down paths most deadly. Seven years later there is me now single, unemployed and threatened for being on benefits and as I look back I realise what it is that caused me to be this, and that is the autistic spectrum attack that has actually ruined my life not helped it.

Sa Skimrande, what a beautiful way of putting it. You are obviously someone who thinks deeply and continuously about life and the patterns that can be found. I would assume after reading this post and others you have written (If you don't mind me saying) that your ability to see things that most around you don't notice or give much thought to is perhaps both your burden AND your greatness...as it is for me.

I would assume after reading this post and others you have written (If you don't mind me saying) that your ability to see things that most around you don't notice or give much thought to is perhaps both your burden AND your greatness...as it is for me.

It is that Merry, my strengths have always been a different approach and a different way of seeing, it is a lonely affliction standing always apart and part of that odd one out feeling where not included I am forced to observe and think in countless directions where I can cycle many emotions rapidly and no wonder I drive many people nuts as, as soon as they think they know me they discover in fact they don't and people I do understand are only comfortable around people they understand.

It is a burden, why do I have to be like this I ask myself regularly as though others may commend me for my sight, it does not alter the fact thinking differently is a lonesome existence and society is such these days where the constant bombardment of the media is training people into selected lines of thought, thoughts that enforces their own agenda and I have examined the media, the free press, they are not that at all as take a look at who owns them and you will see the tendrils that reach in so many directions where everything ultimately comes down to thought control for psychology is being used and abused to illicit a desired response of which I have a clue and will not be part of as I seek to heal not hinder.

I do feel sorry for those with children for what they and their children go through for they are in the front line of the AS attack, where schools it seems from a perspective are seeking to absolve themselves of blame for why they cannot teach, but there is more to being a teacher than just a piece of paper. Look at me I got diagnosed late, but I went through a school system that knew nothing of AS, yet I have had jobs and even served in the military and I have been married there demonstrating either pre AS teachers could teach or AS is not what it is being made out to be.

And yes I do accept there are different levels of AS affect, but who said everyone has to be successful and yes I do know parents want the best for their children, which is totally understandable, but isn't there more to life than monetary success, has everyone forgotten it does not take wealth to be truly happy in oneself ?

But it is an understanding the last few decades there has been a change in thought, gone is the just get a job to follow the public ideal and be happy, for now the ideal appears to be everyone must be rich and famous and preferably get rich quick, without which you are a failure, and does anyone wonder why there is an apparent rise in the young reporting issues with depression. My belief is we have been pushed too far too fast and we are reaping the rewards of that, the media has a lot to answer for, but hey what does it care, it is making money, the education is so far a success.

I'm with you on your line of thinking, without going into it too much here and risking a backlash from those who may be angered by our observations of the world as it is today. There is probably nothing I could share with you that you haven't also already made yourself aware of. And also what I believe to be the final conclusion about such things changes for me constantly. I haven't got it all figured out yet but i'm working on it. It's certainly all linked somehow. Maybe you could shed light on a few pieces of the puzzle for me at some point.......I hope to talk with you more if possible.

Haven't been able to read everything here or over at the site linked, but shall bookmark as this looks like a very interesting discussion :) A bit too tired to take it all in properly at the moment though.

Hi A-S Warrior, i'm really surprised at myself for assuming that other people with aspergers might also share my interests. But just because we have obsessions, does not mean we might have similar obsessions! I'm learning a lot here and it's all positive. That's my trouble though. Throughout my life, when i've asked people why they don't like me, they usually say it's because i'm too positive or too nice. I guess that's how i've learned to get by in life...it probably started as a defense mechanism to prevent people from hurting me in what seemed to be a very harsh and unfriendly world. But it became part of my personality and it's just the way i am now, i can't change it at all. I am here primarily because of one reason. When i was little, i used to tell my parents that i'd have to go far away one day, to find "people like me" and that's what i'm still searching for. But even here, we are NOT all the same just because we share this one thing. And i have only just figured that out!!! Still, i'm finding some with similar interests and tendancies, such as yourself, robert and SaSkimrande to name a few.....and that is exciting. Regardless of what causes some people on the spectrum to achieve great things, and regardless of the assosiated negatives which come with forms of autism, i can't help help feeling there's a bigger picture here...a pattern which is well worth looking into. I posted the video about Jacob Barnett because he reminded me so much of myself when i was a kid...just in the way i behaved and thought about things. He really is extraordinary and i thought other people might feel inspired by watching him also....but i'm not sure that a lot of people were interested. So those who are interested in this kind of thing might be a minority in this group, but that's ok...i'm also here to seek help with the negative aspects i face having aspergers and also to help others if i possibly can. (As i suspect we ALL are). There is another sideline to this thread which was brought up and only hinted at by Sa, which i think is extremely relevent to this site, only because it shows that we tend to think about things in ways that a lot of people in society miss...and that subject may be one of them....again only for a few of us perhaps. But i'm not sure that many people would be glad to hear it here (Just as there are a lot of NT types who wouldn't want to hear it ANYWHERE!) if you know what i mean. Sa will certainly understand what i'm saying. I'm not even sure if one thing has anything to do with the other, original reason for the thread, but it's all linked somehow in my own head anyway! I'll stop rambling. My point is, if there is a minority of people who would like to edge towards the side of positivity (and again, i'm not denying the negatives of our condition/syndrome/whatever it is), then yes, it would be great to find out who those people are, and see where it leads. So by all means pin the thread and see what happens...that's my vote. Oh smiley face :) but i don't know how to `quote` another smiley face for luck! :)

LOL If only you were around 8-9 months ago. This is a really exiting time for me to be on the forum, especially when members are posting as enthusiastically as you are. I dunno, some may disagree, but i've got a really good feeling, about the dynamic of the forum now. regardless of our recent differences, one can't deny that sa skimrande is posting pure magic at the moment, and then the icing on the cake, your enthusiastic reports to sa skimrande's posts.

It's a recipe for forum greatness, and it's fascinating to watch. Hopefully we can start getting the quieter members to dip there toes in the water.

LOL If only you were around 8-9 months ago. This is a really exiting time for me to be on the forum, especially when members are posting as enthusiastically as you are. I dunno, some may disagree, but i've got a really good feeling, about the dynamic of the forum now. regardless of our recent differences, one can't deny that sa skimrande is posting pure magic at the moment, and then the icing on the cake, your enthusiastic reports to sa skimrande's posts.

It's a recipe for forum greatness, and it's fascinating to watch. Hopefully we can start getting the quieter members to dip there toes in the water.

Maybe you do understand or maybe you don't, but for me to be useful in anything I have to feel threat. that is stress is where I perform at my best despite the consequences, for I am trained in industry where stress is part of the job and lately from this forum I feel stress because of recent changes and the way it was implemented, lets hope that is in the past now or else read my new signature because I do not suffer fools gladly and I will attack when I feel wronged and you will know when I am on a death run. But recent events you have no idea how it affected me, some here know and I won't say this on forum or else be moderated but it was so bad I actually collapsed in public, heart problems consistent with age, highly embarrassing you can understand, but to me, what happend here my last vestige of understanding felt lost to me, The fact I had not eaten for three days and then walked four miles to buy food is part of the problem I know, but hey adult aspies no one wants to know for I know my lifestyle is far from healthy, but I can do nothing else.

But with me every time I crash I come out of it with new understanding and the understanding this time it was my ills are caused by education, for I was not always this way, one time I used to ignore a lot, other people's opinion, what do they know, but since the diagnosis what others say I take it to heart and I have come to the point I question my every move and think very carefully what I say for I am flawed via diagnosis, a truth it was perhaps in hindsight not that good to hear.

And so I now question the education what motivates it the desire to help or the desire to make money, because since diagnosis aside from college when I was there there is nothing to help with life outside of education, one is just a normal bod; get on with it but be ready to work, your issues are none of our concern.

So it is on an ASD related website I wish to challenge the status quo, if they are here or observing let them come here and join if necessary to meet my challenge for I intend to educate where I can to the truth of what this diagnosis actually does in reality away from the cosy world of nine to five and then forget about those that depend on your understanding and recommendation.

I am annoyed.

Hi Sa Skimrande, I'm a bit lost with this post because i don't know which recent events you're referring to and i don't know which changes have been made so obviously I don't know what aspects of the forum you were referring to when you mentioned threat...and as you can't go into it i guess i'll be left non the wiser! But i'm trying to figure out what you meant...what does your new signature mean? Why are you annoyed? Sometimes i don't understand things...please be patient with me because i want to understand. :)

I am annoyed because of the ASD education in that what it has done to me, believing this stuff has eroded my self worth as I started this thread to challenge the dumbing down I perceive people with ASD are in receipt of where everything is what you can't do in life because of ASD as opposed to what you can do in life because of ASD.

ASD education sows negativity

Why do you think i chose my username? I refuse to listen to negativity on ASD. (call me, crazy, or im spouting off white noise) but hey, it gets me up in the morning, to fight another day.

Ahhhh! Now i get it! (Lightbulb above my head just switched on!!!) Thanks. Yeah I agree. Totally. I used to work as a SENco long before i was diagnosed myself. I worked with several children on the spectrum and always felt it was strange that we were trying to mould those kids into copies of the other `normal` kids in the group, because the `normal` kids were often chaotic, troubled, overly competetive, angry, etc....and i used to think the autistic ones were often the lucky ones, being there in their own worlds, with long attention spans, finding enjoyment in something as simple as spinning a wheel on a tricycle for ages....or thinking about nothing but dora the explorer! Strange to see it that way but now i know why i could relate to them so well....I missed being able to be in my own little world. I was a little envious.

Big thanks Sa Skimrande, I loved this! Goin to read the rest of the website but there's a lot to take in! People should stop trying to change us and let us change the world! Maybe our faults only appear as faults, because the society we live in is all wrong. Maybe people with autism are here for a reason...maybe if the rest of the world let us follow our own paths, we could help to make a brighter future for everyone.

I too have concluded this point........Stop trying to fit in and just be yourself...the wolves are everywhere but i have it on good authority that not a single hair on our heads will be harmed.

Why would this upset people A-S Warrior? I don't understand. Please explain why it was upsetting for people..... i'm very surprised by that. I personally feel that so much of my life was wasted by trying to fit into a world i didn't belong in, just to keep other people happy. The things which excited me had to be left behind because nobody understood. They didn't succeed in changing me anyway. All they did was push my real self deeper inside and i resent it. I don't want that to happen to the next generation. They might be the best hope our world has.

Increadible...i feel exactly like you.

I too have concluded this point........Stop trying to fit in and just be yourself...the wolves are everywhere but i have it on good authority that not a single hair on our heads will be harmed.

:) I like what you said.

Sadly, most people I meet have a negative view of Aspergers and ASD.But the truth is that our society needs people with Aspergers and ASD. And we're going to need their skills and abilities even more in the future.

I usually tell new friends (those who think negatively about these matters) that when I'm flying off on holiday, I hope that the pilot is Aspergers: because then I'll know he won't leave the ground until he's checked every single dial in his cockpit several times and is 500% (maybe more) sure that the plane is safe for take-off.

I say the same about surgeons. If I need an operation, then I hope the surgeon is Aspergers every time. I wouldn't want an artistic "humanities" type surgeon anywhere near me. Aspergers can also make good lawyers etc etc.