Noskcaj86

Autism and Genetics

Ive heard Autism may run in families, was wondering how distant a family member would still count?? Is it as far as aunts, cousins, 2nd cousins?? Or is it immediate family only like siblings or parents?? My half brother is Autistic... Jacks uncle. Also my partners cousins son was recently tested for Autism, but had an inconclusive result (hes 14 and already diagnosed with ADHD)... hes Jacks 2nd cousin. Do these 2 people count if i was asked the question weather there was anyone with Autism in the family?

Thanx :)

Yes...as far as i know....if it IS genetic, I can't say but it does seem to run in families. My dad has some autistic traits, although he'd never admit it, and my whole family feel that my cousin who is 16 has aspergers like me but isn't ready to listen yet.

People in my familly that have undiagnosed, but almost certainly have aspergers:

Dad, his brother, there dad (my grandad, Now dead) My aunties on that side of the familly, and there children (my cousins) My uncle on my mothers side, my sister, my other 4 cousins, my grandad on my mothers side, and me.

Do you think the 2 relatives i mention are close enough to count if asked if there is any one Autistic in my family, or do the docs only want to know if its siblings or parents??

No, they do count. So yes...i think definitely. Because that's the way genetics work as i understand it. That's why a child can be born with curly hair when neither parent has it...genes can be silent...am i right? I think so. They can skip generations. My psychologist during the diagnoses process told me it is definitely not genetic, but i'm starting to have my doubts based on some of the things i've read on this site.

Likewise in my family, particularly my father but given his age no way will he get tested as it serves no purpose and knowing what I know about it, he needs to live his last years of his life believing in who he is. Further back we have a lot of eccentrics and what is of interest to me is the fact that the eccentrics never married and never had children, their branches of the family tree died with them, we know this because of the popular pursuit of genealogy, there is surprisingly a lot of information when you start looking

But genetic yes and perhaps chromosomal through the x is my suspicion given what research I have done regarding the x as I have said here before there are AS like conditions that cross over into and perhaps from other syndromes, now whether these symptoms when they present are purely AS or part of something bigger is interesting to think about.

Autism is thought to be a mixture of genetics and environmental factors. In some families there may be more of a genetic component and in others there may not be any (or not obvious) genetic component, while other people may be autistic but their autism may be a mixture of genetics and environmental factors.

Both my parents have a lot of autistic traits and one or both of them may be on the spectrum - they both did the online 'Aspie Test' and scored highly. My sister and brother may both be on the spectrum but having discussed this with my sister she has said that she has enough problems as it is so doesn't want to know (reverse logic, I know!!). Her daughter is currently tippy-toe walking, sleeps badly, screams a lot, is only interested in Peppa Pig, shows no interest in playing with other children and has a profound fear of men with beards. Another niece is highly anxious, plays 'boy' games, has a huge interest in playing chess, has a severe speech impediment and dyslexia. Hmmm! See a pattern emerging? I get very frustrated when my mum laughs about their 'funny' ways but I just have to keep my mouth shut now.

If you put my daughter and my sister's daughter in the same room together, the differences between them are startling. My daughter loves attention, points, pouts, understands simple emotions and I can see the beginnings of manipulation because she knows she can get her own way. My sister's daughter constantly frowns or avoids your gaze, trips over and bangs into the doorframe, whinges if you go near her and wriggles out of your grasp if you cuddle her.

Edited by Lyndalou

No, I won't believe such reputable professional organisations as I have linked, but if you care to examine references, ( always follow references to make sure they are not made up ), where they are provided you will find this is the stuff that experts in their respective fields use to learn what they need to learn to understand and treat people like us. Of course if you followed up on the references you will find a lot of it is behind pay walls, but I can access a lot for I have useful contacts also engaged in the same quest as myself; that X chromosome and what it is responsible for.

It may be genetic it may well not be. Not really wanting to re-hash the MMR issue, but there is NO doubt in my mind MMR was responsible for my child's autism. I've read all the medical suggestions and none identified a genetic reason, when there is no recorded history in the families of it. One day my child was absolutely normal in every respect 36 hours after the MMR a virtually deaf/mute who couldn't follow anything at all. The only factor the GP could find was MMR, but after the furore took place and the medical profession driven by politics and fear of mass withdrawal from the MMR program, my GP clammed up and towed the official line, Having initially agreed MMR was responsible he then went into reverse, to say I felt betrayed and my son was, would be putting it politely especially when they then turned around and started blaming parents instead. Given my time over I would never have MMR again. Certainly not in the same way it was applied. When we asked for proper research into MMR or other vaccinations possibly triggering MMR in some of our children the curtain came down on that too. 4% of children taking MMR will suffer some issue, and a most of it neural and affecting the brain. It doesn't take much of a leap to link autism to some of that. But they will never search it, they fear the results, so concentrate on car fumes,fast foods, and genetics....

I'm also the only one in my family. The psychiatrist who diagnosed me said that it could have been caused by placental difficulties in the womb.

All my boys have had MMR and only one has possible asd. So i dont thik thats a factor with Jack. I think its more likely its genetically influenced. Thanx for replies :)

I think it is genetic, however my view/opinion is unique in a way. Whilst some parents believe either mum or dad may have ASD or indeed both, I believe it is the combination of genes that is an issue. This is true for quite a number of conditions.

I see many traits in myself and many traits in my ex(the father of my boys) however I cannot see either of us being diagnosed with ASD as I think we could never tick most of the boxes. However his traits combined with my triats have created two children with autism. I believe its the same reason why my eldest is gifted, nobody on my side or my ex's side are as intelligent and talented as he is.

I have a daughter with my current partner and at 10mths old I know she is definatley not autistic therefore its not from my side.

I think it is genetic, however my view/opinion is unique in a way. Whilst some parents believe either mum or dad may have ASD or indeed both, I believe it is the combination of genes that is an issue. This is true for quite a number of conditions.

I see many traits in myself and many traits in my ex(the father of my boys) however I cannot see either of us being diagnosed with ASD as I think we could never tick most of the boxes. However his traits combined with my triats have created two children with autism. I believe its the same reason why my eldest is gifted, nobody on my side or my ex's side are as intelligent and talented as he is.

I have a daughter with my current partner and at 10mths old I know she is definatley not autistic therefore its not from my side.

And so do you see where the AS attack is actually diminishing those diagnosed as even here we focus on the negative side way too much when we know full well the different types of thinking that exist amongst us with obvious intellect. It is my belief places like this should be promoting what we can do for the benefit of those looking in, employers, entrepreneurs and philanthropic people who believe what they see and are prepared to put their money where their mouth is unlike a lot more influential.

How is my comment negative?

I don't believe I said your comment was negative, but perhaps it was a failure of communication on my part perhaps in which case I will say this website just like every other website concerned with the subject of ASD is negative in that who exactly is promoting what ASD individuals can do beyond their social inabilities.

It may be genetic it may well not be. Not really wanting to re-hash the MMR issue, but there is NO doubt in my mind MMR was responsible for my child's autism. I've read all the medical suggestions and none identified a genetic reason, when there is no recorded history in the families of it. One day my child was absolutely normal in every respect 36 hours after the MMR a virtually deaf/mute who couldn't follow anything at all. The only factor the GP could find was MMR, but after the furore took place and the medical profession driven by politics and fear of mass withdrawal from the MMR program, my GP clammed up and towed the official line, Having initially agreed MMR was responsible he then went into reverse, to say I felt betrayed and my son was, would be putting it politely especially when they then turned around and started blaming parents instead. Given my time over I would never have MMR again. Certainly not in the same way it was applied. When we asked for proper research into MMR or other vaccinations possibly triggering MMR in some of our children the curtain came down on that too. 4% of children taking MMR will suffer some issue, and a most of it neural and affecting the brain. It doesn't take much of a leap to link autism to some of that. But they will never search it, they fear the results, so concentrate on car fumes,fast foods, and genetics....

MellowMeldrew there's a very interesting article on the VacTruth website at the moment about the children ALLEGEDLY affected by recent MMR vaccinations in Africa. The parents of these 50 or so kids are calling for medical help from the wider world to treat the children's conditions because their own government has paid them compensation but is now ignoring them.

I don't believe I said your comment was negative, but perhaps it was a failure of communication on my part perhaps in which case I will say this website just like every other website concerned with the subject of ASD is negative in that who exactly is promoting what ASD individuals can do beyond their social inabilities.

Oops sorry about that been up since 4am been to work and now trying to get five kids to sleep,my reading skills are not up to scratch.

I have HFA and also have 3 daughters of which one is from another relationships and all my daughters have autism diagnosis from aspergers to asd pdd.

We have been to a genic clinic and have told that there's a strong link, Both side of my family have autistic traits but my son is like my wife and my wife's father as they all have ADHD so they autism appears to be on my side.

MellowMeldrew there's a very interesting article on the VacTruth website at the moment about the children ALLEGEDLY affected by recent MMR vaccinations in Africa. The parents of these 50 or so kids are calling for medical help from the wider world to treat the children's conditions because their own government has paid them compensation but is now ignoring them.

The problem is no medical representatives now or politicians will back ANY Investigations into MMR or other vaccine issues, we are collateral damage, that's it. The way they plug genetics these days they can blame everything on that undermining any investigation or research, it's our genes, if not, it is our lifestyle/environment.... they have an answer for everything. I prefer the term excuse. It was never about money, we need to know.

The problem is no medical representatives now or politicians will back ANY Investigations into MMR or other vaccine issues, we are collateral damage, that's it. The way they plug genetics these days they can blame everything on that undermining any investigation or research, it's our genes, if not, it is our lifestyle/environment.... they have an answer for everything. I prefer the term excuse. It was never about money, we need to know.

I think there will be a lot of stuff going on in the background that we don't know about - it's this way with everything...politics and money rule! No-one is going to stick their heads above the parapet and say publicly if they think they'll lose their credibility and their jobs.

Here Here!

(I am in agreement with the Right Honorable Lyndalou and MellowMeldrew).

Edited by Merry