Mike_GX101

Why are topic life cycles so short on this forum?

On other forums a topic might last several weeks, maybe even months. But on here a topic is started and there is a flurry of activity - usually a number of people reply to the original poster - and then that's it and the next time you log-in that topic has been forgotten and is buried under a dozen new topics. If it is still going it has often veered off the tracks.

Further down I bet there's even a topic graveyard where the topic-conveyor belt eventually winds up. Has anyone ever counted how many topics there have ever been on this forum?

I think because people start several topics on much the same thing, That plus you don't get many members that just soley reply to posts, rather than post new topics. forums tend to be me, me, me. and that goes for me as well.

And yet we're told so often that aspie's don't deal with change very well. And yet change is faster than ever on this forum. If anything I'd say aspies get bored easily from what we're seeing here.

Repetition helps me to learn something new - such as writing something over and over and over will allow me to memorize it. But as with writing lines when learning to write sooner or later your style will develop and become more fluid and the lines (or guides) won't matter too much any more and your handwriting becomes you!

And yet we're told so often that aspie's don't deal with change very well. And yet change is faster than ever on this forum. If anything I'd say aspies get bored easily from what we're seeing here.

Boredom is a major factor and it is me, me, me, me ad infinitum, which is autistic via the introspective, but is that wrong bearing in mind many complain of being ignored and belittled through the ASD attack ?

As to change, take a look at the view new content function and see what is the majority of the posting and you will find it is NT's asking about ASD predominantly, where many of those with ASD cannot answer through a different perspective and experience, where I in particular struggle with all the acronyms in use and wonder how society became so militarised as the predominant use of acronyms is a military preoccupation.

Now I have posted other things on here to do with a more speculative even intellectual nature, but I have watched the brush weeds blow by as the topic sank into oblivion, now maybe I am not typically ASD and I have a clue on that you might be aware of, but I see the difference in what I post and what others post and so wonder is it really worth me posting something I have researched to receive the same treatment and so I grow bored because I am not receiving what I need ; the mind challenge.

And various idioms may then apply.

Edited to insert a semicolon in place of a comma

Edited by Sa Skimrande

I think it's because of how the site is laid out. On the main box, only one thread per category can be shown at any one time...and i personally often only respond to what's directly in front of me because there's so many interesting things coming up. By the time i've responded to those things, my time for looking further into the site has usually run out! I think that might be why so many threads have a short shelf life....that and the fact that we are so used to nobody being interested in what we say that we actually get a buzz out of the feeling that other people can relate to us and are interested enough to respond to some of the things we say...(As other people have said above).

I have been here for over 9 years with various incarnations of the forum software, and most threads havealways started to sink after a day or two. This is partly because it is a fairly busy forum. Most forums I know of where discussions can last for days ort even weeks have less traffic so a topic will stay close to the top of the list or much longer.

Simon