JeanneA

Self Harming

Hi my son Glen is going to be put on a fairly new drug from Friday that will hopefully help to decrease his self harming. Apparently it has fantastic reviews so I really hope this will work for Glen. I have forgotten the name of it but will try and find out again. If anyone has heard of such a drug that helps treat self harming please let me know, is your child/young person on anything like that?

Thanks SP, I'm hoping to find out the name of the drug tonight when I ring the nurse to see how Glen's been today.

Hi oxgirl it's fine now thank goodness and all the bruising on his face and around his eye has gone, I'm so pleased that he has more or less stopped hitting himself since being in the hospital for his assessment. He looked so bad before he was admitted to the hospital I hope I never see him looking like that again.

Why will they start him on a new drug if he has stopped hitting himself, is he self-harming in some other way?

Good news about the eye.

~ Mel ~

Glen is still doing some self harming but not to the extent that he was doing before going into hospital. I've found out the name of the drug its called: Naltrexone. It's used for treating other conditions primarily but can be used to treat people with autism who self harm.

I really hope that this new medication will help JeanneA.

One question though... is talking about the propensity for self harm for someone other than yourself not the same as talking about self harm in general? I was under the impression we weren't allowed to talk about self harm or suicidal intent.

ooops sorry if I shouldn't have wrote that information. I am a moderator to so I should no better.

I just found out this Jeanne, I am bit puzzled where they got that from.

Naltrexone is used along with counseling and social support to help people who have stopped drinking alcohol and using street drugs continue to avoid drinking or using drugs. Naltrexone should not be used to treat people who are still using street drugs or drinking large amounts of alcohol. Naltrexone is in a class of medications called opiate antagonists. It works by decreasing the craving for alcohol and blocking the effects of opioid medications and opioid street drugs.

This drug is also used to help reduce self harming, I looked it up on the internet and I was told by the hospital also. I hope it works.

Hi Jeanne, i have heard this is a drug that works well via a parents email advice link on the challenging behaviour website. Id suggest posting your question there as well. Good luck

Hi Merry it's too soon yet to notice any changes. I rang the hospital last night to see how Glen was in general and to ask about the medication, but he's only been on it since Friday. Hopefully over this coming week any changes will be noticed. I will let you no :-)