anxious

I'm 46 and just been diagnosed with Aspergers...ask me a question

Hello, my name is Rob. I am 46 years old and in Oct. 2012 i was diagnosed with Aspergers at St.Georges Sheffield and in Sept. 2010 i was diadnosed with ADHD at the Maudsley Hospital in London.

If you want to ask me anything , please, go ahead.

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum......how do you feel about the diagnosis.Was it a relief or has it left you feeling confused.There are many adults on the forum who were diagnosed later in life like yourself.I,m sure you,ll feel at home here .

Hi Rob a very big welcome to the forum. Could I ask please how long have you known that you could have aspergers and ADHD? and how long has it taken for your to diagnosed?

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.

How long have you considered you might have AS and how long did it take to conclude that it was an actual diagnosis for you?

How does having this, on top of your ADHD diagnosis make you feel? Do you feel that you've been supported since diagnosis, by professionals, family, friends? Or have you not chosen to disclose to family etc?

So many questions from me!! Do you have any questions for us?

There are many here who have had late diagnosis, myself included. (Diagnosed at 34) There are also those who have more experience with actually being diagnosed and being in the system, so to speak, as being diagnosed earlier in life. And then there are parents of. There's a well of information and support available to you here, I just hope you find it useful :)

There are quite a few of us on this forum who, like you, have been diagnosed as adults, I was diagnosed at 41. Feel free to ask questions!

Thank you all for your replies. My intention was to stay on line and respond immediately but my partner came in, saw what i was writing and then tried to convince me that what i was doing was embarracing and i should have more self respect.............( ? )

The biggest problem that i have experienced since diagnosis is from my partner...so hostile...to maintain control over me she now uses the diagnosis as a weopon against me. Even when she is blatently wrong and i point this out to her she will remind me that people with Aspergers develop paranoid thinking patterns. She doen't want to know anything about me or the condition. Therefore home life remains rubbish and is getting worse.

There has been NO support at all from the medical profession. I can and do get as much diazepan as possible from my GP mainly to get me off to sleep but they do take the edge off living with someone. My diagnosis of Aspergers was at St. Georges in Sheffield in October 2012 and they gave a recommedation to my GP for Atom.....( something ) but the listed side effects were too severe to take a chance with. I am back in Sheffield on Jan 24. On 30th this month im back at the Maudsley Adult ADHD hospital.

My lifes problem has been trying to " fit in". I have always been a bit strange and communication has always been agony. Whe i awas diagnosed ith ADHD it was no suprise but the Aspergers diagnosis was a shock and still is..it makes so much sense. Before i went for my assessement i went on line and found the 50 questions used for initial assessement....i scored 46. It was the Maudsley hospital that recognised the Aspergers.

It took 15 months from going to my GP and actually getting an appointment for ADHD and about 12 months to get the Aspergers appointment.