Willow-Tree

'Milking' a disability

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, I run a YouTube account where I have over 150 videos - and I recently started posting regularly again after about a year. Anyway, I get a LOT of negative comments (I also get lots of nice ones which always brighten my day) on there and most of the time they just brush over me because you can't respond to them etc and it's just not worth it. But sometimes the odd one gets me down.

This happened today with somebody saying they're unsubscribing (not a problem, of course) because they spoke with their AS partner and have agreed that I'm milking the disability by having the YouTube page and a forum plus my own website and earning what they seem to believe is a lot of money. (Oh, what sparked it for them was the fact that I am having soft toys of the mascots in my logo made. The only reason this is happening is because a few people started asking if soft toys would be available and I'd never even thought of it, so I was like, well sure I guess I could if you want! (Plus I just thought it'd be cool to have them for myself as I designed them :) ))

Anyhoo, the point is, I don't make money from this. I work on my projects pretty much all day, every day and aside from the money I do make from my book (which, again, isn't a lot) I make less in an entire year than you can earn working a minimum wage job for a day, which arguably, doesn't even cover the cost for my site and my forum to be live for the year, at all!

Do you guys think I'm milking it? :(

I work hard at what I do, for little to no money - because I enjoy it and because I'd like to help others, and I love getting the emails from people saying they saw one of my video and it really helped them - that's what makes it worth my while.

Of course, the only reason I can do this is because my fiancé works a full time job to support us.

Hi Willow-tree, to me, it doesn't seem like you're milking anything. You're not making enough money to live on even, as you explained so you can't be milking it! And even if you were making money, so what? People make money out of their uniqueness and abilities every day. Whether a business man, designer, or actor....we're all at our best when we're making the most of our individual talents, and personalities. It must be hard to receive such nasty criticism. You don't deserve it. I don't know why people can't keep negative opinions to themselves. Not everything we think has to be shared. Anyway, you're clearly doing a good thing for people so just ignore them and keep up the good work!

Thank you so much for your reply :)

I was really worried that everyone might be thinking the same of me, and I would hate to think that was the case :(

Willow, Just ignore there stupid negative comments! You give me inspiration and it's very nice to see such a positive person educating others and trying to help others. :)

I know that there's not much return from book sales and also know how much it cost's to run a website, In all honesty I hope in the future that you can make loads of money because if you do you would of worked hard for that cash and you deserve it all.

Some people just get jealous in life, Ignore them. It's really lovely to see couples like you and Chris. :) Please carry on making you tube videos, I like watching them and they give me hope.

I've seen your channel, and this is the first time ive spoken to you i believe so i thought i'd weigh in on this.

From what i've seen of your very similar to me, I try to show the benifits of aspergers through sharing experiences, life tactics, and positive thinking, etc etc. The problem i've had, is people reacting badly to my posts, and getting angry at me. Some people just don't want to work hard, they just want to vent anger. (Alot of anger in the aspie world) For me and you, we use our disability's as a tool, to use to our advantage. Some use it as an excuse for there own failings.

I'm going to do the undone thing, and awsnser a question with a question. Are you milking your disability? or are you refusing to be beaten by it?

The main thing is, you have to think, this is one person's opinion, you have 1000 other subscribers that see you as an inspiration. Don't give that guy any air time, just keep doing what your doing. and have fun with it.

Edited by A-S warrior

No Willow you are not milking your disability .Don,t let negative comments like this get you down.They don,t know you , and as many people do they are making snap judgements and feel they have the right to criticise you because you tube is a public forum.

I'm going to do the undone thing, and awsnser a question with a question. Are you milking your disability? or are you refusing to be beaten by it?

The main thing is, you have to think, this is one person's opinion, you have 1000 other subscribers that see you as an inspiration. Don't give that guy any air time, just keep doing what your doing. and have fun with it.

Hmm I guess you could look at it this way, which I never really though about. Yes I am just refusing to be beaten by it :) ie. my AS has stopped me from getting a job, so instead I spend all my time helping others in any way I can think of :)

Thank you for your kind words :)

No Willow you are not milking your disability .Don,t let negative comments like this get you down.They don,t know you , and as many people do they are making snap judgements and feel they have the right to criticise you because you tube is a public forum.

Thanks Suze :)

Thank you :) I'll be nice, hopefully everyone else will play nice too.

Hi Willow-Tree

You will always get "dislikes" on YouTube and for many, these are usually few and far between. I know it's easy for me to say but - don't let the odd negative comment get you down. I loved your book and have watched a few of your blogs on YouTube. It is just brilliant that a young, talented girl like you can stand up and do all this. Of course, none of this existed when I grew up. You are sending out a powerful message to young people, these are people who can relate to what you feel and write.

I have come to understand than anxiety, depressive thoughts and the constant need to question oneself is part of AS. This is something you love doing. It's all about demand so if people want this and that, then you have to follow through.

Keep up the excellent work! :)

Willow, from what I know of you your not a person like that. Those are people that have issues obviously and your only trying to raise awareness and get your message across. If they dont like it, its there problem not yours. I still admire you.

@ willow -some people are just stupid idiotics who understand naff all about "our lives" way our lives make "us" think and feel! Take no notice of them jumped up idiots who think have a 'true right' to publically voice their opinions at the end of the day they know nothing,anything! :( so keep doing what you're doing ASD awareness wise as doing fantastic ,brilliant job -don't let them put you off knock your self -esteem side ways not worth it!