jacklejacob

anyone else have both an ASD and a mood/psychotic disorder?

@ jackie

yeah can personally first hand relate to you - i assume it's you asking for other experiences on mood state etc

i looking into /researching into bi-polar as several different types at current present having to keep mood diary on bi-polar mood scale asked fill it in by nurse and S/Wrker looking into my case as went docs asked be re-referred to adult MHT as self-suspected something else going on other than plain just simple 'depression' due to sudden rapid mood/emotional states also become paranoid /irrational states too i go from 'sky high' to deep crashing low.

it's been on everyday rollercoaster have no control over feel no middle balance in my mood states so hard to manage scares me so much hope i discover what reaally happening! as so lost & confused just feel way more than depression on it's own! :( different meds and therapies i become resistant over time and mood changes are so sudden ,fast ,unpredictable no fun causes so much friction /unhappiness throughout stages it awful to live with!

XKLX

BPD -Borderline Personality Disorder it self explanary in the title of it to be honest! I feel personally I could be either BPD as fit so many classic signs of this disorder and also Bi-Polar too!

BPD -Borderline Personality Disorder it self explanary in the title of it to be honest! I feel personally I could be either BPD as fit so many classic signs of this disorder and also Bi-Polar too!

unfortunately i don't have much of an understanding of it just from the title, from the title all I can assume is the personality of someone with bpd is different to most people. what are the symptoms of bpd? that would probably help me to understand what bpd is

SP Tlnt - I am looking into both by doing this mood diary and hoping to "bump into" a mental health professional who understands the overlap in each (BPD and Bi-polar) I really do believe I have quite high possibility of both people just question this theory/suggestion throughly due to confusion of expression of thoughts and feelings/emotions and our way of putting these across to be 'known' then proven shown so hard /difficult! Think professionals believe I fancy "finding labels"

unfortunately i don't have much of an understanding of it just from the title, from the title all I can assume is the personality of someone with bpd is different to most people. what are the symptoms of bpd? that would probably help me to understand what bpd is

I dont know what you were looking for in this thread. It basically means I emotionally unstable.

I dont meet all the criteria of Borderline Personality Disorder, it would be known as emotional unstable personality disorder in america. It used to be part of the schizophrenia.

This is a better explanation pulled up from a website http://bpdresourcecenter.org/DSM-IV.html

The essential feature of Borderline Personality Disorder is a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity that begins by early adulthood and is present in a variety of contexts. Individuals with Borderline Personality Disorder make frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment (Criterion 1). The perception of impending separation or rejection, or the loss of external structure, can lead to profound changes in self-image, affect, cognition, and behavior. These individuals are very sensitive to environmental circumstances. They experience intense abandonment fears and inappropriate anger even when faced with a realistic time-limited separation or when there are unavoidable changes in plans (e.g., sudden despair in reaction to a clinician's announcing the end of the hour; panic or fury when someone important to them is just a few minutes late or must cancel an appointment). They may believe that this "abandonment" implies they are "bad." These abandonment fears are related to an intolerance of being alone and a need to have other people with them. Their frantic efforts to avoid abandonment may include impulsive actions such as self-mutilating or suicidal behaviors, which are described separately in Criterion 5.

BPD is manifested by a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affects, and marked impulsivity beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in (5).

2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation. This is called "splitting."

3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.

4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in (5).

5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.

6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).

7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.

8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).

9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

white_spacer.jpg

Edited by Special_talent123

Did special not already do this ?........surely the web link is enough ?

Not initially no, it is why I said what I did.

The key is in the time posted and the time edited and notice my time of posting.

Special wasn't looking to breach any copyright, and wasn't taking credit for the excerpt, but thank you for reminding us about etiquette Skimrande. We'll all bear that in mind when posting quotes in future.

I dont know what you were looking for in this thread. It basically means I emotionally unstable.

I dont meet all the criteria of Borderline Personality Disorder, it would be known as emotional unstable personality disorder in america. It used to be part of the schizophrenia.

This is a better explanation pulled up from a website http://bpdresourcece...org/DSM-IV.html

In this thread I was looking for people who are in a similar situation as me so that things in common could be discussed for the purpose of gaining knowledge and feeling less alone.

As answers were posted in reply to my topic a disorder that I knew nothing about was mentioned in response to my question. As I did not know what this disorder was, I was compelled to ask what it was.

If I had anticipated that asking this question may lead to a discussion that the thread was not created for then it may of been better for me to have googled the disorder thus avoiding the change of subject in the thread.

I personally believe that the disorder could be relevant to the thread.

In this thread I was looking for people who are in a similar situation as me so that things in common could be discussed for the purpose of gaining knowledge and feeling less alone.

As answers were posted in reply to my topic a disorder that I knew nothing about was mentioned in response to my question. As I did not know what this disorder was, I was compelled to ask what it was.

If I had anticipated that asking this question may lead to a discussion that the thread was not created for then it may of been better for me to have googled the disorder thus avoiding the change of subject in the thread.

Well u can get psychotic in BPD in which I have the traits of. I actually started hearing them as a result of bullying.

Yes, googling is usually a good idea, as to come to an ASD website to ask a question you just to know people are going to get the wrong end of the stick and start talking about themselves- it's ASD.

Does post-traumatic stress disorder count?

I had PTSD, I am not sure it has gone for I do have a fear I cannot seem to conquer and that was because I was subject to an attempted murder because someone wanted my car but didn't ask for it. Three broken ribs and a fractured skull I got a kicking by four adults high on drugs it took me months to recover physically and months to get rid of the footprint in my face, I tried everything, bio-oil, honey, vitamin E the lot and it destroyed both my marriage and my career as I totally lost confidence in who I was. I was prior to that confident and assured in my ability, ASD it was suggested throughout my career but hey I was functioning and going from strength to strength who cares about something which might not be there and if it is it has not really hindered me that much. But post attack everything changed and I am still with the residue of that for I have lost my confidence and I really struggle to find it again and what's worse, make it stick.

Crown court action it went that far, but my assailants two out of the four despite names addresses of all four being discovered and supplied, got off with a lesser sentence because I could not stand in court the fear was that palpable and the authorities let me down. As it was the judge ripped into the police force for being incompetent and two of my assailants got community service. Too bad I could not gloat, the whole affair had caused me to leave my job and marriage to attempt to start a new life two hundred miles away and so I sit here still a shadow of my former self, unemployed and attacked by government.

And people may wonder why I may be bitter, I am bitter because all that I believed is, society the police, the courts turned to poo in that one episode, the first time I ever needed the police in my life and they could not be bothered to turn up until I was half dead and to think I am ex armed forces and I have served my country in war.

Psychosis is when you see and hear things that aren't there. Do you get that in PTSD?

Speaking for me personally, only in dreams

What do you mean by "dissociate"? I haven't experienced hallucinations, hearing voices or delusions.

I've been prescribed anti-psychotics, my partners teenage sons are probably on the spectrum somewhere and shout and hit things all day - my nerves are shredded, and I struggle to focus on anything, but the psych just made me feel I was the problem, and my partner doesn't really know what to do about them, and nobody offers any help when she tries. I have to admit they help me feel less stressed, and less 'struck in a loop' about things, but I don't like the injustice of being prescribed something that merely numbs me so I don't noice other peoples problems as much - I'm just very logical. Its complicated here, and I feel selfish for isolating myself from them, and my partner at times, but thats the only way I can deal with things. I can understand them wondering whats wrong with me, or why I don't work, but when they get angry because they feel I'm denying them things/money then I feel angry and worry about where things are headed. I also wonder if I have any other condition beyond or instead of Aspergers, but my psychs aren't gonna help with that - one just says I'm a nice guy and just need to work with nice people. I'm not that nice, I never claim to be, I just try hard to be decent despite how I get treated by people. The tabs do make me feel more spaced out tho, so I'm even more absent-minded and numb.

I wish something like that could happen, but my partner has tried all sorts but these two put up huge resistance to everything they don't want to do - its not just avoidance, they feel playing games with their mates is more important than anything else, including eating+drinking, and getting dressed. If they aren't on the spectrum then they are being deliberately difficult. It feels personal, like they are sabotaging our relationship, and my partner may be on the spectrum too so we are all struggling. Sadly, the people we need to assess them just do home visits. I'm frustrated with my partner because now they are both over 16 its much harder to get any help, as I've found. Unless these two suddenly decide they need help I don't see any change. I'm trying to be positive and stick it out, but I know I'm resented by them so its hard. Knowing they have behavoural problems makes it really difficult, the normal parenting advice doesn't work because they don't want to listen or don't care. Also, my partner works long hours and every other weekend so I'm stuck with them - and they can't cope without her. Its a negative situation, but I'm trying to be positive about myself cos I can't control what other people do, or don't do.