Tarantamom

North Cornwall

Hi everybody, I am new..obviously.

I live in Padstow, Cornwall. I have aspergers...invisibly so, as it was brought up several times when I was a young teen and I dismissed it; then saw a lot of psychiatrists who I didn't trust and talked very little to and I guess they didn't notice or something and I don't know what happened but there is no diagnosis on paper and I now live in the UK. I have read tons and tons of literature about aspergers and it is me-it is all me, my life story. I want an "on paper" diagnosis so that I can recieve support services or something but there are no diagnostic services in my area and also, appointments make me extremely panicky and so does navigating transport...oy. Anyway I identify as an aspie..

I am married to a very kind NT man and we have a 2 1/4 year old son who is my heart and soul, I am very into gentle/attached parenting. I feel pretty certain that my son is also on the spectrum(my OH thinks so too). I am home educating/unschooling and I feel passionate about freedom. My son and I have coeliacs disease and other food intolerances and I have always had a love for cooking and baking and he is learning how with me and we love it, we make something every day from scratch using unique ingredients. We also love walking outside and do that every day. We have a strange sleep cycle. My little guy is with me all the time, an equally valued member of our family who gets equal say in all of our family decisions. I love being his mum. I don't really have any friends at all where I live, I find it really hard, I want to meet other AS people but transport is really confusing for me now for some reason, I don't know. Silly, right. Appointments and schedules confuse and make me nervous...and I can't seem to find anyone like me, anywhere near me.

So, hi!

Also, anyone else out there in North Cornwall area? Padstow, even??? x

OOOH love cornwall and devon too, did,nt realise you were down there skimrande ..........where abouts ?

Welcome Taranta..........when my son was young I made alot of friends by joining mother and baby type groups.We used to do a library activity where by the local library did a story and music time, we also did tumbletots.My son even at the age of 2 found some situations very difficult due to his autism , but we always did stuff within his comfort zone.Have you tried a mother and baby group ..sometimes you can find a good local one on your local council website.

love it down there my dream would be to live in Thurlstone , hope to have my ashes thrown off the coastal path there its beautiful.

Welcome :) Hopefully you'll find the forum useful... there's lots of us that have been diagnosed late on so know what it's like to be in your situation... I'm not sure that there are many services available to those of us who are older though. I know there are some support groups in various areas but that's about it as far as I'm aware.

I do hope that you manage to get the diagnosis if you think it will help. Knowing yourself though, you can address things that might be an issue, and maybe like the rest of us, knowing more about it will answer questions you might have had growing up.

Hello! Welcome! We sound like very similar parents...and both have aspergers. I also live in Plymouth, so not too far away from you. Your boy sounds like a lucky lad!

Welcome I like Cornish holidays and pasties, also gluten free myself. A diagnosis doesn't automatically entitle you to services. Proof of care needs does. P/There are a few reports on the NAS website about how to attempt accessing services. So called 'Fair access to care services' (FACS) are the extremely vague criterion used by social services. I say so called because it is really difficult to prove you need help and even when you do there still isn't a guarantee of getting any help. My relative had to be heading for a breakdown before SS decided to help us and only because shes an elderly carer. Things have changed now and im more of a carer to her due to her failing health. 'Leonard cheshire' did a guide to FACS sometime ago which sets out the criterion you must meet to get help, which are care needs.