smileyK

are you liking this snowy weather? it is bad where you are?

hi "everyone"

how bad is the weather -where you are - it's getting pretty deep here have light flakes but constant and fast flowing today but suppose to speed up flake wise midday! so soon! and ain't suppose to be stopping until 6pm and suppose be getting more tomorrow and tuesday maybe more end of next week!

it's not bad when got no-where 'important' to go or somewhere 'must' be where can decide but when have to travel to work ,etc not so pretty /nice be out in when just want be at home in the warm!

you enjoy this weather prefer to be inside in the warm watching TV cosy and snuggled up in blanket in pj's or out playing in the snow freezing building snow man , or making snow angel or snow fight ? which one is it! or mixture of all three?! whatever you decide to do enjoy the most of it!

XKLX

Nope, no snow yet, down in the sunny South West, ( currently grey ), and I can see South Dartmoor, the county high ground from my home and there is no snow on that yet either.

So all this chaos that is happening elsewhere in the country, it is like we are living on a different planet

Edited to add ;

As to weird things to do in the snow, I did convince a friend to run around their back garden in the buff and self photograph their insanity and they did it, I have seen the photograph.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

yeah we've had snow in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. My car is fortunately very good on snow with its winter tyres so I can go anywhere. The main roads are nice and clear, and I was ok walking the dogs cause there is still plenty of fresh snow to walk on. Its the ice I don't like.

@ Sa Skimrande - yes it a wacky thing seems set a tend boys in the buff outside in the snow cold haven't got a clue why don't want to even ask question it! lol :P surely bit cold for that! i'm forgot to say i'm live in northamptonshire (in a town) snow not giving in quite few inches here if carries on like they reckon few more yet to come!

@isobel - walking seems best way of travelling safely around here even though slipping & sliding around! is mad & crazy!

i'm curretly in the warm inside watching TV with parents! :)

hope a snow work day is order tomorrow can't beat snuggly cosy days like that where go back to bed snuggle down watch TV it's great though would miss gym & swim!

XKLX

Yeah, like Sa Skimrande, i live in the west country, obviously not far from him as he mentioned dartmoor....and we don't get snow here very often, at least not the kind of snow that stops you in your tracks! If i see any, i get excited but the ground is always so wet that it rarely settles.

still going strong my dad now seen on weather's report suppose carry on until early hours of the morning (3am) without a break! so maybe sledging to work in the morning if don't get a official snow day and closing!

XKLX

You know what, I flew into Sweden one winter for Xmas and i couldn't believe it Ryan air landed on snow then took off again half an hour later and this snow was thick the runway hard packed snow and look what we have at heathrow chaos again

oh damn trying to copy and paste directly from my facebook profile page pics of snow here wouldn't have any of it! so annoying did it once but deleted pic on here as wasn't one wanted to show you 'all' on here! i am determined to get you all see them! so i'll keep at it!

Plenty of snow here in London. Went out to do some "therapy"...with my camera of course :lol:

oh did u get sum good pics?

How bad is the weather where you are?

No such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. :)

I did indeedie...

Any chance of seeing some of your pics Robert?

SmileyK that's a lot of snow! Makes your garden look really pretty! Ah now i feel all christmasy...weird!

Edited by Merry

got try make it into work tomorrow on skiis ,skates or in a sledge! lol that if it don't close on county council website! keep looking for regular updates all time!

XKLX

just had deputy manager text me to tell me know our work - nursery is closed tomorrow as the road our work seems to hit hard with snow and ice seems settle real deep up at work! so snow day for me it is! first mission of day - build a snow man me thinks! lol :P most important!

XKLX

To any moderators....

Any easy way of doing this...?

I think I remember suggesting a gallery option for the sharing of imagery like a lot of other forums have, when a thread was running on here regarding what people want of the forum. There was one respondent who thought it was a good idea but that was the end of that.

But I seem to remember the new moderators saying the posting of imagery had been removed, yet I notice imagery has been posted since, so what gives, has the function been removed or not ?

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Well, it's snowing lightly here at the moment and the snow has been lying for more than a week around here. A few days ago it took me half an hour to de-ice the car but since then it's not been so cold, if that makes sense. I was out with the snow shovel a couple of days ago because the snow banks up at the bottom of our drive and compacts so I didn't want to be stuck. Both the kids now have their snowboots but it's proved a difficult task to find a snowsuit for my daughter!

Turned up at toddlers this morning and it was off. So, it's probably a problem into the countryside round about as the woman who runs the group calls off toddlers when the schools are closed and her kids go to a country school. By all accounts a blizzard is on the way.

Robert/sa skimrande

I'm not sure why it's in the rules that immage posting is disabled, It's not.

On the tool bar of your post you should notice a tree icon. click that and have the link to your photo ready, and paste the link in the box. The photo should then show.

I got a new camera last night, a Lumix DMC-FZ30, an OAP gave it me and helpful since I have been having problems with my DSLR lenses due to fungus, so when the snow comes, if it does, I will be out photographing in it to give this bridge camera a good work out

Exactly, amen to that.

I've got a job interview this Friday in the City, which should be interesting as regards appropriate clothing. I happened to be in the Square Mile on Monday, where I observed that there was no snow left on the pavements but there's still a lot of the white stuff at ground level in the suburbs where I live. So I guess I'll have to wear my snow boots on the way there and then change into smart shoes (heels!) at the office. I hope I can find a reasonably presentable bag to carry my change of footwear. A bog-standard plastic carrier bag would spoil my "professional" image but maybe I could get away with a jute one.

At the risk of sounding like my mum, why do so many young women insist on going out in this weather without a coat?

Bernadette Lee

Still no snow and it's not particularly cold either.

But we did have a hail shower Early Monday morning around three a.m. accompanied with thunder and lightning and it did settle on the pavement and was there till sun up when it started raining heavily and that was the end of the hail then back to normal. But I was told in other parts of the city, later in the day, the rain froze on the ground making driving somewhat difficult.

But I have experienced that before where I had to negotiate a 1977 VW camper down a back street covered in sheet ice without hitting the cars on either side of the road, I did it but where I parked was on a slope and so the handbrake couldn't be trusted so I chocked the wheels with a couple of scissor jacks I kept in the van for emergency engine removal. I didn't hit anything but it took me ages in the crawler gear to get down that street and when I got out of the van, I slipped and fell letting me know how icy that road was and I was rather proud of myself for driving my van down that.

But hey those old vans are superbly balanced with the weight spread evenly over the wheels which makes them very good in difficult conditions and my van went places four wheel drive cars struggled thus proving four wheel drive is not the panacea for difficult conditions, rather vehicle design and driving style is.

The only down side of that van it being air cooled was the heating was lousy and my ice traverse was after a six hour drive from the north on a closed snow bound motorway where I had a hole in the floor the snow was coming in and I was driving whilst sitting in a sleeping bag with my feet out the bottom. I also had the cooker on in the van, which is not ideal but two gas burners running that was helping to keep the ice from forming inside as in winter that thing had more de icer sprayed on the inside of the windscreen than out as the inside windows regularly froze whilst driving.

But a good van I would have one again despite the lethargic heating, but what I bout for £1800 ten years later sold for £7000, I was rather surprised. Mind it was the same with my 1955 series one Land- Rover, I bought it for £400 and sold it six years later for £2500. Old cars you see, they are in demand.

I've got a job interview this Friday in the City, which should be interesting as regards appropriate clothing. I happened to be in the Square Mile on Monday, where I observed that there was no snow left on the pavements but there's still a lot of the white stuff at ground level in the suburbs where I live. So I guess I'll have to wear my snow boots on the way there and then change into smart shoes (heels!) at the office. I hope I can find a reasonably presentable bag to carry my change of footwear. A bog-standard plastic carrier bag would spoil my "professional" image but maybe I could get away with a jute one.

At the risk of sounding like my mum, why do so many young women insist on going out in this weather without a coat?

Bernadette Lee

I wear black doc martin boots that still look pretty smart with a long dress on and thick tights, and the doc martin boots are really good at gripping on ice.

Sa Skimrande, how are you storing your DSLR lenses to get fungus....!? I thought this only occurred under very humid conditions...

Devon is a very damp area, every time you operate a zoom lens your draw air in and air has stuff in it that grows in the right conditions, but it's only Tamron lenses that seem to suffer this annoying issue and a Tamron only three years old where the Sigma eight years old, no problems at all.

But storage for my DSLR equipment when not in use is in a moisture sealed flight case with humidity control of which I regularly microwave to drive the moisture if any out. But the camera is stored card and battery out, body capped with a silica gel sachet inside. The same with the lenses silica gel under the lens bayonet mount caps but the Tamron suffered a fungus attack and when I took the lens apart in a do or die desperation the fungus was found to be infesting the middle elements right in the centre of the lens. The lens is now back together with fungus cleaned out but I don't want to keep pulling that lens apart as boy it's complex in there.

But I suppose the problem is consumer lenses much more expensive Nikon glass has better seals and closer tolerances.

The Lumix I have just got seems better sealed a fixed lens zoom where the focal distance moves within the lens barrel, I wonder if it will suffer the same problem.