Sa Skimrande

What Asperger' Syndrome Has Done For Us

A rather old article from the BBC but true nonetheless;

What Asperger's syndrome has done for us

If this is all true, why am I so lacking in outstanding talents?

It could be you have not found them yet.

Or you don't do yourself justice for what you can already do.

Which would figure as I don't either where many say I am talented in a few separate areas, the problem is, I don't believe them because I find my talents easy and what I see as easy, I expect others can do as well.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

It could be you have not found them yet.

Or you don't do yourself justice for what you can already do.

Which would figure as I don't either where many say I am talented in a few separate areas, the problem is, I don't believe them because I find my talents easy and what I see as easy, I expect others can do as well.

I think you're on to something there Sa... I was always very sceptical about what I was good at because I found it so easy, like at school. Subjects I found easy were subjects I didn't particuarly like or put much effort into, so I didn't see why it was such a big deal. Those I did like I had to put more effort into, which is something I have only recently learned to appreciate - if I liked it, it was a challenge.

Maybe it takes time for us to figure out what our talents are because they might not be as obvious as others'? I'm not sure I've found mine, although people seem to think it's in stats... sadly!

I think you're on to something there Sa... I was always very sceptical about what I was good at because I found it so easy, like at school. Subjects I found easy were subjects I didn't particuarly like or put much effort into, so I didn't see why it was such a big deal. Those I did like I had to put more effort into, which is something I have only recently learned to appreciate - if I liked it, it was a challenge.

Maybe it takes time for us to figure out what our talents are because they might not be as obvious as others'? I'm not sure I've found mine, although people seem to think it's in stats... sadly!

Well. for a starters Oakers I have told you from a photography perspective what you did with your band photos, hey they are some of the best I have seen, it is why I said it and you must understand something about me, I do not give praise where it is not warranted.

But art seems to figure highly with many who are ASD and what is photography if it is not painting with light ?

But of art, music is part, I never could do music through at some point I had the fuzzy confusion with every instrument I tried and so realised music is not my art no matter how much I wanted it to be for I can recognise patterns no problem, my problem always was remembering them as I am easily distracted.

What I think is the problem, not only with us but perhaps the whole of society is that we are built up as children in that we can be and do anything, but as soon as we hit adulthood the reverse begins until we end up believing what we can do best is no great shakes to society and so we give up.

How it is for the young diagnosed early, I have no idea beyond the negativity I feel for great minds dumbed down because they are different through the fact they have a diagnosed disorder called ASD.

Well. for a starters Oakers I have told you from a photography perspective what you did with your band photos, hey they are some of the best I have seen, it is why I said it and you must understand something about me, I do not give praise where it is not warranted.

But art seems to figure highly with many who are ASD and what is photography if it is not painting with light ?

But of art, music is part, I never could do music through at some point I had the fuzzy confusion with every instrument I tried and so realised music is not my art no matter how much I wanted it to be for I can recognise patterns no problem, my problem always was remembering them as I am easily distracted.

What I think is the problem, not only with us but perhaps the whole of society is that we are built up as children in that we can be and do anything, but as soon as we hit adulthood the reverse begins until we end up believing what we can do best is no great shakes to society and so we give up.

How it is for the young diagnosed early, I have no idea beyond the negativity I feel for great minds dumbed down because they are different through the fact they have a diagnosed disorder called ASD.

Thank you once again Sa for your comments re my photos... coming from a photographer it really does mean a lot and I am genuine when I say that. I don't look for praise re my work but used to be very self critical, and would get upset with myself if photos didn't turn out how I'd 'seen' them whilst taking them. I was told by a couple of people though that they were envious of my 'eye' though as they tended to miss more than a fair share of opportunities as they didn't see them, however, I seemed to manage to capture shots they indeed hadn't seen.

I guess it goes back to the intuitive shooting but I also found that whilst focusing on a shot I could also see a lot of what was going on around that shot, probably more so than some of the others in the pit at the time, and would then have the time to weigh up my next shot. I also used to wait for light, as not being technical I couldn't always make the camera work the way others could, but I could do my best to optimise my results.

Anyway, enough about that!! :) I agree, that a lot of people seem to be good at art, or music. Listening to / watching the video link that you posted earlier I realised that what TG had to say is so true - in the way in which we all think. I am not really sure where I'd classify myself to be honest as I think I could quite easily fall into all three she mentioned.

I've often been told I have a mind full of useless information, but that people would want me on their quiz team if I went to the pub and such likes. I seem to remember things most others wouldn't and I can remember small details about things that no one else would probably even think about. At work we have a system whereby we need at least one letter from a person's first and last name to be able to search for them, but many a time people can't remember one or the other name. I am the one they come to ask because no doubt, I'll remember the name, no matter how long ago I'd heard it.

I don't ever recall being good at art when I was at school and it certainly wasn't a subject I took when I got older. I did however excel at music and could read it and play by ear. I ended up being better at playing by ear and I guess sometimes it was a case of 'pretending' to read the music as I did the latter. I played multiple recorders and electric organ throughout primary school and could have probably gone on to do bigger and better things but was put off by a family member insisting we practiced for x number of hours per day.

That's interesting what you say about remembering patterns... I can do this to, and often I don't even have to think about it, but for me, distractions don't seem to be so much of a problem. My boss is convinced I am reallllly good at stats and such likes because of this, but I try to tell her I'm not! I don't want to be good at stats, I want to be good at something else HAHA :)

What you say about childhood and adulthood makes a lot of sense. That feeling of being unappreciated or undervalued for the skills you have is one of the hardest things to bear, esp for me. I watch as others seem to progress through life with little to no skill and there's me, trying to be the best I can be and it still never feeling good enough. I guess that most of 'us' feel that way from time to time, or maybe even more than that?

It really is interesting what you say about the young being diagnosed... I know not of what this is like either with only being diagnosed last year but it'd be interesting to see what would have happened had I been given a diagnosis earlier on. Would we be the same people we are today? Would we be more confident in our abilities, or would we be dumbed down as you say?

I was just reading a recently resurrected thread about driving and wondered if I ever truly fit into any kind of box people try to put me in. I was determined to get my licence as early as I could because, living in Australia, having my licence meant freedom. Back in the day we had to pass our theory exam first, but we could start learning to drive at 16 and 9 months. I only had a couple of lessons, but I remember on my first my instructor thought someone else had been teaching me and let me drive to the beach (some distance away). My poor friend was allowed around her street. I went and sat my exam the day after I turned 17 and passed with one error and that was because I went left when they asked me to go right, or vice versa.

I don't know how I did it to this day as I remember thinking, how will I ever remember where the gears are and co-ordinate my brain, arms, and feet at the same time. But, I guess that was something that I managed to do quite easily and have been driving ever since. The only time I've ever felt really nervous was when I wanted to start driving here on motorways, so I took a lesson and then bam, onto the motorways I went. Driving still means freedom and I don't regret getting my licence so early, I think it was a very positive thing for me.

/end ramble

Edited by oakers