eglasgow25

What to do! need some advice!

Hi I'm Emma, for over 3 years I have suspected highly I have aspergers. I now am 100% sure of it.

I just dont know what to do to improve myself especially socially and interacting with others.

Does anyone have any advice on taking first steps to grow with aspergers?

The main issues are around people really, I sometime mute up completely and dont speak, not because i dont want to, i dont know why.

And I believe it causes tension between me and some people because they assume i am rude to them. I was lucky all through my childhood and teenage years that I somehow managed to fit in and feel comfortable even though i was different, but since work its intensified.

I will try to be positive and open with myself thanks

I haven't told anyone as such, I've mentioned to my sister and mum, while we were watching a programme with this subject, that I could relate to the people and how the act and think.

I also want to say, I sometimes feel like I have to "act" with certain people and its exhausting. Is there anyway this gets better or easier as I have felt like this all my life

and dont want to feel like that anymore

Hi Emma

I see you are in Glasgow...a fellow Scot? Would it be helpful if you could meet people in a similar situation to you? I am aware that there is a drop in place in Edinburgh for people with Aspergers but I'm not sure about Glasgow unfortunately...I could ask around if you like. I know someone who might know.

If you are 100% sure that you have AS, I am assuming you've probably already done a fair bit of reading on the subject but it can be tricky to find practical advice aimed at adults. I've found Jessica Kingsley Publishers to be a very helpful publisher of books on AS and they publish all sorts of books from Employment to Relationships (romatic and friendships) and Mental Health issues.

Lynda :)

Yes it would be helpful to meet some people similar :)

Thanks for the help.

Ok im going to search the books also

thanks everyone :)

Good luck with looking up all the info, I'm sure it will help. :-)

I would start by asking for advice at the Glasgow autism centre. hope you get a diagnosis soon,