Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

IEP

I wonder when Jacks IEP will be reviewed.Not been given a date even though i asked for one, they just said at the end of term, but that was last term and it wasnt reviewed. So annoying!

There should be at least 2 IEP's each year.

This extract is taken from the SEN Code of Practice. You should get a copy of it and read it and highlight the relevent bits, because this is what the school and LA should be doing and if they don't you can lodge a complaint with the Local Governments Ombudsman. It also ensures that if your son needs additional support it will happen sooner rather than later or never at all.

You can look at/download a copy of the SEN Code of Practice from the top of this forum under SEN Publications. But it is easier to read if you have a hard copy.

"Reviewing IEPs

5:53 IEPs should be reviewed at least twice a year. Ideally they should be reviewed termly, or

possibly more frequently for some children. At least one review in the year could coincide

with a routine Parents’ Evening, although schools should recognise that some parents will

prefer a private meeting. Reviews need not be unduly formal, but parents’ views on the

child’s progress should be sought and they should be consulted as part of the review

process. Wherever possible, the child should also take part in the review process and be

involved in setting the targets. If the child is not involved in the review, their ascertainable

views should be considered in any discussion."

The biggest issues that trigger additional support are not making progress. Again this is why IEPs are so important because IF your child is not meeting the targets that should trigger the school seeking addtiional advice from the Educational psychologist for example. If the school do not do regular reviews of IEPs you are not going to know if he has met his targets, you will therefore not get the access to professionals that your son might need.

If I were you I would write a letter to the SENCO stating that your sons IEP dated xxxxx, has not been reviewed and you were told it would happen at the end of last term. Say that according to the SEN Code of Practice IEPs should ideally be held termly or at least twice a year. And if you have concerns detail them too.

Ask the school to let you know when your son's next IEP will be and to confirm if he will be having termly reviews. If you have evidence of lack of progress you could detail that as evidence that he needs to monitored more frequently.

The important thing is to get it in writing because any complaint, or tribunal can only look at evidence on paper. You cannot submit anything that is just verbal.

If your son does not have a Statement and you want to ask the LA to carry out a Statutory Assessment towards a Statement you need to have two IEPs to submit as evidence. And you don't need anyone to agree he needs a Statement. Parents alone can ask the LA to assess.

Edited by Sally44

I think it would be better to phone and speak with the SENCO and ask them when it will be. If you just leave it it may not happen for another term and another and another.

Whatever the SENCO says, follow that up with a letter to her eg. "Further to our conversation on xxxxx, you said that the review of the IEP would be on xxxxxxxx and you confirmed that my son will receive termly reviews."

Or if she does not confirm that, then you could word the letter:

"Further to our conversation on xxxxx, you informed me that you did not have a date for the review of my son's IEP. I had been told by xxxxx that my son's IEP would be reviewed at the end of xxxxxx term. This did not happen.

According to the SEN Code of Practice it states:

"Reviewing IEPs

5:53 IEPs should be reviewed at least twice a year. Ideally they should be reviewed termly, or

possibly more frequently for some children. At least one review in the year could coincide

with a routine Parents’ Evening, although schools should recognise that some parents will

prefer a private meeting. Reviews need not be unduly formal, but parents’ views on the

child’s progress should be sought and they should be consulted as part of the review

process. Wherever possible, the child should also take part in the review process and be

involved in setting the targets. If the child is not involved in the review, their ascertainable

views should be considered in any discussion."

Could you please confirm that my son will receive termly reviews of his IEPs and confirm the date of the next review.

Thank you.

If you do not have the IEP review you do not know if he has met his targets. And if he hasn't then he is supposed to get extra support, or the school is supposed to seek outside advice. The longer the school takes to do that, your son will be falling further and further behind his peers.

Edited by Sally44

His IEP is quite new, only mid last term, so i will give them a chance at the end of this term to review it and then if they dont i will be straight on the phone to SENCO to sort it out! No review at the end of last term, but maybe because it was a new IEP only done half way through the term? Thanx

In my school, the student is given a copy of their IEP, with a date for review written into it. The school then works as best they can to meet that deadline, although they are sometimes a week or so off the mark.

My son's IEPs also always had the date of the review of the IEP printed on them. That is the whole point of an IEP. It sets targets which have to be achieved by a certain date.

Have a look at the CoP, I think schools have to do a minimum of 2 per academic year.

Send in a letter and ask for the date. They must know when they are doing them, and ask that from now on could they tell you the date of the IEP review at the actual IEP meeting in school.

Parents are usually invited to the IEP meeting. At the meeting it is discussed whether the child has met the targets and what the new targets will be. Usually the SENCO/teacher, parent and anyone else [could be the speech therapist, TA or educational psychologist or autism outreach etc] the school invite, or the parents ask the school to invite.

IEPs should always have a date on which the targets will be reviewed, so you should always know when the IEP will be.