JeanneA

Visiting Glen at the Hospital

Hi, my husband and I are off on a 3 hour drive to Birmingham tomorrow to visit Glen at the Autism Hospital. Looking forward to seeing him very much, but a little anxious at the same time, knowing what he's been like in the past when we've visited him in the care home and a previous hospital. Just hoping this time it will be different and it will be a positive experience for Glen and for us.

I will let you know on Saturday how we got on. :-)

Look forward to hearing how it went Jeanne. I'm sure Glen will love to see you both :)

Thanks Lynda I hope so. I've got his favourite snacks packed: mars bars and mini boxes of raisins plus I've bought him 2 new stress balls one with a happy face on and one with a sad face. I've also bought Glen a mosiac sticky set which he loves doing when he's been home for visits in the past. :=)

Hi guys, my husband and I got back this afternoon from our visit to Birmingham to see Glen. We spent a couple of hours with him yesterday afternoon, there was a charge nurse Jess and care worker Michael with us all of the time. Glen came into the room with Michael and I could tell he was surprised to see us but his faced looked relaxed which is always a good sign.

Glen enjoyed the cream egg I gave him he 'signed thanks' in matakon encouraged by Jess and whispered 'thanks' also. Glen ate it in one go literally lol.

Glen did hit his head a few times which I had expected him to do, but it certainly wasn't as forceful as it had been when we last saw Glen. His face and eye looked great, no bruises. Glen looked really well in himself. I could see Glen needed the reassurance of Jess and Michael throughout our visit and could also see how happy he was around them which is fantastic.

I asked Glen if he would show us the swings in the hospital grounds and he nodded his head and got up and went out with Michael, we followed and Glen got on the swing and enjoyed it! After then we left it was a good time to leave after being outside.

The place is very big, we were very impressed having it's own sensory room, a special extremely wide screen t.v. room, and 3 lounges and very large grounds with 2 trampolines, and 3 sets of swings. Glen's got a large bedroom with an ensuite.

Overall I'm so pleased my husband and I went, great to see Glen after a long 9 weeks of not seeing him. Glen did look anxious some of the time we were there but comparing it with visits in the past it was better.

We are back there in 4 weeks on March 1st, as it is the 12 week review meeting when it will be decided if Glen will be discharged or will stay there a bit longer. Can't wait to see him again then. We will spend time with Glen before the meeting.

Glad it was positive visit and experience for you both and Glenn! Good news that he not head banging and stressed as much he more in relaxed calm state! Looks like looking onwards and upwards! XKLX

That's great news, Jeanne, so glad it was a positive visit for you all. Sounds like they're really taking very good care of Glen for you. :) Hope your next visit is just as good, if not better.

~ Mel ~

Really pleased your son is much happeir may it long continue

Thank you all so much for your comments. I am so pleased that Glen is in an autistic specific hospital.

I never knew until you mentioned it that there are autism specific hospitals!but yes it good that it is fits "his current autism needs" and mental health needs too! Sounds like whatever it provides him with safe and secure environment! Which is comfortable for him! And sounds like he "coming on" leaps and bounds! XKLX

I rang the hospital last night and found out Glen did hit himself a few times after we left on Friday, which I had expected but yesterday Glen had a great day, he went out in one of their vehicles for a ride and sat in mc.donalds and had a drink, so I was very pleased, I was worried he might be a bit unsettled yesterday with us going up the day before.

Thanks ladies yes he is definitely in the right place, I am so pleased it's autism specific.

Hi Jeanne

Sorry I've not been on here for a while.

It's wonderful your visit went well. Sometimes it is best not to stay too long as it is taking them out of the routine of the place. They must be handling him well as it sounds like he has a good connection with the staff. I hope you feel a bit relieved having seen him doing well.

And he whispered Thanks- that's so brilliant! People who don't live with autism probably wouldn't understand how much something like that can mean :clap:

Hi Mandy thanks for your kind words, yes Glen whispering 'thanks' did mean a lot to me, I haven't heard him do that in years. We will see him again next Friday, 1st march as it's the 12 week review meeting and we will spend time with Glen before the meeting.