Sign in to follow this  
Sa Skimrande

Emotional Intelligence ?

Being aware of and able to identify and control your own emotions as well as being aware of and able to identify other peoples emotions.

That's my understanding of it anyway and how we refer to it in our setting.

And that is where aspies tend to fail, it is one of our issues

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/aspergers-syndrome-emotional-intelligence-1002124

And there we go, therapy again of which adults seem to be ignored.

But, the bigger picture ;

http://www.talentsmart.com/about/emotional-intelligence.php

Where although many of us have a high IQ, we completely suck when it comes to EQ

Some people are born with this 'aura' of awareness which senses the emotions of others and they grow up to become careerists like Counsellors, Advocates and Coaches.

For everyone else however it takes a career of life-long learning to master the arts of the emotions. This is where 'emotional intelligence' comes into play. Some people pick it up more easily than others. It can be measured similarly to intelligence (i.e. IQ). There are many books on the subject and one I recommend is called The Language of Emotions.

I've bought that book as you recommended it before that I remember. I haven't started reading it yet though :rolleyes:. I'll be very interested to see what it says.... Strangely, I have read that many females in particular with Aspergers actually go into the line of work that is thought to be an unusual choice for people with the condition; namely nursing and other caring professions and advocacy - professions which call for empathy and understanding of feelings and emotions. I myself did a year of nursing training, have worked within the mental health sector and have also worked as an advocate.

It doesn't come easily/naturally, but you can learn it intellectually, and it might be worth it. I've got a job in counselling, and I've done some courses, and it works despite autistics' assumed lack in that area. Important though: I have some NT colleagues whom I can ask if there seem to be some "unwritten" messages by our clients which I don't get.

My EQ score is still ... urgh.