Sign in to follow this  
Alex_a_scholar

Prison votes. The view of an Aspie.

Prisoners should have the right to vote against the laws that put them behind bars. Prisoners should have equal voting rights to free men.

What do you, my friends, think about the issue?

No I don't think they have "the right" as they "lost that right" when committed the crime out in society they don't deserve the righ to vote as aint a part of 'society' XKLX

Prisoners should have the right to vote against the laws that put them behind bars. Prisoners should have equal voting rights to free men.

What do you, my friends, think about the issue?

I agree with you Alex.

As to understand we were born to be human not subject to other people's laws designed to control. And not everyone in prison is there because they harmed others, many in there are there because they upset what rules the country.

Ask yourself, were you born to be a slave to others, did you give your consent to be ruled or was it just assumed because you were born you automatically become a subject of the country you were born into ?

Edited by Sa Skimrande

But if can't follow conform properly to rules then why should you be allowed a vote of country! When can't follow country rules?! How does that work make sense really! XKLX

I consider all laws arbitrary, therefore no law is objectively right. For this reason each person may agree or disagree with laws regarding rape and murder even.

If a person thinks they should be able to kill people lawfully then they should have the right to vote for that law, and we do have the right to vote for that law by the way; and we also have the right to vote against that law. So committing a crime where the 'criminal' considers the action to be wrongly categorised he should have the right to vote against it.

It should be more than just a blanket rule of either yes, everyone in prison can vote, or no they can't. For those who have evidence piled up against them and have admitted to certain levels of crime - ie, hurting, killing or raping another person - then they shouldn't be allowed to vote. Purely because they clearly don't care for people and have no morals. But for those who have committed smaller crimes, perhaps stolen because they didn't have any money or food, or something else fairly minor or for those who haven't admitted and there isn't a bunch of evidence - they should be allowed to vote.

I don't know what such a view has to do with being an Aspie?!? We're all individuals with our own opinions whether we're Aspies or not. If a person has an opinion and he's an Aspie does it mean that view is wrong because he/she may view the world differently? And for reasons like that we have to be very careful when discussing such topics on such an open forum. Perhaps the OP might consider re-wording the title??

Willow Tree, we live in a democracy, this means we can vote on any system we desire. Why should the government be able to apply rules to people whereby those people cannot challenge the future existence of the rule.

Willow Tree, we live in a democracy, this means we can vote on any system we desire. Why should the government be able to apply rules to people whereby those people cannot challenge the future existence of the rule.

All I'm saying is if someone has killed a person on purpose, they don't deserve anything, let alone the right to vote. I'm sorry if that upsets anyone but it's how I feel.

I though the whole point of prison was the loss of freedom /human rights.

.........so is it not a moot point........of course the european court of human rights would disagree.

You are all missing my point. Listen again. To apply ANY arbitrary rule to a person and taking that persons right away to change that rule isn't how democracy is supposed to work. Consider a hellish dystopia in which murder was MANDATORY and YOU thought it was WRONG, would you forgo the right to oppose that law for the sake of the majority? I doubt it; so considering all rules to be objectively arbitrary and flipping back to a non-hellish, arguably non-dystopian reality, your argument if fundamentally flawed.

Just want to remind you all that we need to talk to each other with respect. Differing opinions are fine, but as long as one person respects the others right to their opinion.

You are all missing my point. Listen again. To apply ANY arbitrary rule to a person and taking that persons right away to change that rule isn't how democracy is supposed to work. Consider a hellish dystopia in which murder was MANDATORY and YOU thought it was WRONG, would you forgo the right to oppose that law for the sake of the majority? I doubt it; so considering all rules to be objectively arbitrary and flipping back to a non-hellish, arguably non-dystopian reality, your argument if fundamentally flawed.

I'm done with this; I was just stating my opinion, which is what you asked for at the beginning of your post. Don't ask for opinions if you can't accept that everyone has their own different one.

And if this is another one of your experiments then can you please stop doing it as it's not fair.

Not everyone is going to have the same opinion, and healthy debate should be that - healthy.

This has gone on long enough. I am asking all of you to treat each other with a bit of respect.

If you can do that on other forums, you should be able to do that here.

Edited by matzoball

Alex I,m not sure the point you are trying to make here .It seems you are deliberately baiting people, I cannot see any reason to aloow this discussion?.........to continue.