ebichu64

Appointment with my GP this morning - first steps to diagnosis.

I went to see my GP this morning and I've just got off the phone with Manchster NAS.

My partner went with me to help me as I find it hard to takes notes there or remember things afterwards. I've been signed off for 2 weeks initially and he recommends I take at least a month off (my boss is going to LOVE that!)

He wouldn't put me on anti-depressants. He didn't think that was right for me. On one hand I'm disappointed. I was relying on them to cushion me when I do speak to my manager. On the other hand, no dry mouth and bad taste, and it means I can still have a glass of wine at the weekend and I'm safe to ride pillion.

NAS are going to send me some stuff by email and though the post.

There are two places "locally" that can assess me for Aspergers under the NHS, Trafford and Sheffield, but either I or my GP will have to do some digging to find out who in Manchester authorises the funding for that. I already have a contact at PALS so he might be able to help.

About my work situation, NAS and my GP have both said that it's time to go over my manager's head to HR. My partner is helping me write it all down. My manager is still insisting I speak to her because it's "company policy and procedure" and the idea panics me...

I'm going to stop thinking about it for now and put it on the back burner.

The exciting news I got from NAS is that Rudy Simone, the author of "Aspergirls" (and others of course, but I'm reading that one) is coming to Manchester next month.

It's at:

King’s House Conference Centre

King’s Church

Sidney Street

Manchester

M1 7HB

United Kingdom

Date and time:

7 March 2013

Doors open and Registration from 6pm (18:00)

Starts at 6:45pm (18:45)

Price per ticket:

Standard Delegate Rate £ 21.60

NAS Members / Low income £ 16.80

To book telephone:

Janet Matthews

0115 911 3367

More details here

http://www.autism.or...nces/rudysimone

Edited by Lyndalou

I'm really pleased to hear that you've had such a receptive GP and that is such a good starting point! The fact you got some support from your partner to make sure that you were able to express what you wanted to say is also great! Well done you!

Do you want the information about the Rudy Simone presentation moved to Resources or anything??

:)

With Rudy Simmone, if you think that's better. I didn't want to post it twice but it was such a good part of the conversation I didn't want to split it either!

I think I'm going to have to go and chill out for a while. I feel a bit hyper...

(...OMG - I've just seen the Bunny! Love him... :robbie: )

You deserve to have a bit of chill time. It must be a great relief to have taken that first step and the anticipation won't have been helping all the stress you've been experiencing. Maybe a little bit of channel surfing or a good book?

I've been to a presentation by Rudy Simone and it was very good. It's nice to hear all the things added up together that we ladies on the spectrum can experience have an explanation and she can be quite funny too! The atmosphere at the one I went to had quite a 'cameraderie' feel to it and it was lovely.... :)

Hi and welcome from another aspergirl who really likes the book.

Hi you a really lucky to have a good GP, not everyone has unfortunately. I hope you enjoyed your chilling time yesterday :-) I hope you get assessed soon, keep us updated :-)

Hi, that's good about your GP, makes getting a diagnosis much easier. Mine's a stubborn old git, but he did refer me to a psychiatrist so I'm pushing to get a diagnosis that way - all very slow and painful but I'm not giving up. Defo have things written down before you see your GP/etc, make sure they get the full picture.

Don't let company policy worry you, there are times when its best to speak to HR directly.

Thanks for all the advice and support.

I tried to watch a bit of TV yesterday, but the only thing that looked halfway decent was on one of the music channels - 21st Century Girl Groups. Not my usual kind of music at all but I thought, what the hey. In retrospect I can see where I went wrong. I can put up with Girls Aloud, the video by the Saturdays was interesting because they they were all dressed as superhero types. Little Mix? No. The last time I watched them singing about "changing your life" was on Children in Need and I thought it was an odd message for a collection of Bratz dolls to deliver then. I got bored then started to have another panic attack. So I switched it off, and went out back to refill the bird and squirrel feeders and put out more food for the hedgehog. (We have a wildlife garden).

I had two more panic attacks last night and another this morning. No idea why except that I'm thinking too much.

There's an alarm going off somewhere now. It keeps changing volume which makes me think it's a long way off but my "spidey sense" is making it seem much louder