atlantis

Trouble sleeping?

Hi :)

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping, or difficulty maintaining a normal sleep pattern?

I mentioned it to my doctor and her reaction was "Ah yes, lots of people with Aspergers have difficulty sleeping," but she didn't offer any solutions.

Once I get to sleep I'm fine, but it seems that I'm falling asleep later and later. and it's really starting to affect how I'm able to function during the day.

I do lots of exercise so that shouldn't be an issue, and I also wear earplugs to bed so that I can't be distracted by noise, but as yet I haven't been able to find anything that really helps all that much.

Anyone have any particular tricks they use themselves?

(It's not at all coincidental that I'm posting this at 1.35am!)

Thanks guys :D

Medication should help I'm surprised your GP didn't suggest something. There are a number of meds you could go on, melatonin being one of them. I would go back to your GP and ask him.

That's because sleeping tablets are addictive and won't give u them most surgeries are same. They don't want to prescribe them. Have u tried kalms herbal tablets? I can get them at your chemist or superdrug. At moment i wear myself out emotionally that I've fallen asleep

Medication should help I'm surprised your GP didn't suggest something. There are a number of meds you could go on, melatonin being one of them. I would go back to your GP and ask him.

Melatonin was awful for me it gave me constant nightmares daily

Establishing a night routine had a massive effect on me. No caffiene or sugar after 4 in the afternoon, a bath at 9.30, no technology bar an alarm clock in the bedroom(make sure it's a TIDY room). Though when I am stressed that goes out the window haha

I take herbal sleeping tabs - valerian and hops and works for me helps me "naturally drift off" instead of fight/battle toss and turn drives me crazy as can't seem to rest either body and mind also have a eye cover this seems also work shut out all "natural source of light" and like you I do possess ears plugs to shut out unwanted noises! Also lavender helps calm relax my whole body which helps mind! ( I know lavender either love it or hate it! Either works or doesn't!) I always had a "issue" which 'switching off' thoughts that over ride! I've also stopped watching TV in bedroom so much and stop caffeine intake often instead now have apple tea or milky hot chocolate instead! XKLX

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions! I tried out a few of the things you suggested last night- herbal tablets, no sugar or caffeine, no TV, and an eye cover- and it worked! I was asleep by 1am (as opposed to the usual 5am)!

So thanks all for the help :D :D I'll try this every night now :D

xx