Merry

Does anyone else get annoyed by the buzzing of wireless and electrical appliances?

I know that Radio Waves from wireless technology and towers are microwaves which disrupt the blood-brain barrier and can actually heat certain spots inside our brains slightly while we use the phone without us feeling it..... What ever happened to the discussion about whether or not these things might be bad for us and cause cancer etc? I don't actually remember but I still think that's quite an important thing to be mindful of when possible.

Anyway, I've always hated computers and phones and tv's. And yet, i've got all of them and use all of them in some way every day. But i've always been sensitive to the noises involved and get buzzing or ringing in my ears sometimes when i'm too close. There's a sort of buzzing in the air too, can anyone else feel it? Is it static electricity or am i being slowly nuked? (Joke) :)

Right anything buzzy I'm sensitive to the noise I find that the cheap electrically stuff are the ones I keep away from as I know it makes a horrible buzz. I have something that's self diagnosed called tinnitus because I get it ringing in my ears and can go high pitched sometimes

I don't get annoyed. I can hear it, like I can hear the fridge freezer humming constantly, but it doesn't bother me.

But there is always someone late on a Sunday night who rides a really noisy scooter and that droning noise really irritates me as I can hear it for miles. Motorbikes and cars with big beefed up engines with high revs stir me some what too when I'm in watching TV. Does everyone else react this way? It's just the noise arrggg!!! Why must they do it?!? And buses and their brakes that go spshhhh sound like someone sighing heavily. Again - quite annoying!

Edited by Mike_GX101

I hate motorbikes, there's one that comes here regularly with a big beefed up engine that you can hear for miles when he's gone. It affects my cat too, they have sensitive hearing.

I hear electrical buzzing constantly. I can block out mostly, though there are some days when it gets bad.

I find computer rooms hard, you know like at school or in libraries and Universities. All that electrical items in one place. I can't get any work done in that environment and end up getting head aches. Although it may have something to do with the lighting as well.

I can cope with a certain amount of buzzing but too much and I just want to get away from the area. My PC buzzes fairly quietly but its not silent, so its nice to use my partners netbook downstairs for some peace. I find hard disk drives distracting, they can chatter away when busy and I lose my focus. I was seeing my psychiatrist once and her pc was chattering away and I kept losing focus on what she was saying, so didn't catch all she was saying. Our fridge is quite loud when its on, I can't sit at the kitchen table and use the netbook with that going. Our lounge is the only room that's buzz free, except when our clunky DVD recorder is starting up.

The guy across the road running his power washer for about 3 hours solid today....drove me nuts!

The weird 'whine' of our Sky+ box - drives me insane!

My daughter's lamp!

I think we had a similar topic on this before. Low level noise does seem to have an impact on several people and this can possibly be narrowed down to two things: either we have a reduced threshold of tolerance to such sounds - or, the normal squelch function of our efferent auditory system is lacking.

Of course nobody likes sudden loud and impulsive noise and particularly late in the evening when I've had enough of the day, noisy motorbikes racing up my street sound like a jet engine at take-off and startles me.

The trouble is on the one hand, wearing earplugs helps block out low level noise, yet on the other hand this desensitises the hearing system so that we can never get used to hearing these sounds (and I'm only talking about low level or soft noise). What I would dearly love at times is to have an automatic noise gate that can completely shut off impulsive loud noises but our auditory systems are not that efficient.

I hear it from the TV mostly, if its left on stand bye instead of turned off the buzzing draws my attention to it and i turn it off as soon as i notice. It also worries me about mobile phone radiation but i use one a lot of the time... So the worry is there but not doing much about it to help myself. But not let any of my boys have a mobile yet, my eldest is 9 and still wont let him have one for at least a couple of years!

Edited by Noskcaj86

My life is plagued with noisy computers! At least that's what I used to think. Now I realise that I unconsciously tune into background noise, despite being slightly deaf from heavy metal concerts in my youth. Distant car alarms suddenly sound a lot closer. If there are several conversations going on at the same time e.g. in a noisy pub, I lose track of the conversation I'm in and end up dropping out of it. I avoid places like that now. Cinema and theatres aren't so bad because everyone is focussed on the same thing. (I hate people talking in the cinema though. I paid to watch a movie, not listen to their mindless drivel)

Engine noise doesn't bother me. I love motorbikes and I used to watch drag racing too. There the engines are so loud you can scream as they go by and not be able to hear yourself - great fun! I do find the constant high pitched whine of F1 cars annoying, and my partner is a fan, so sometimes I can watch with him and sometimes I have to leave him to it.

Just as an aside about motorbikes. My neighbour and my partner both have Triumph Bonnevilles. My neighbour has the megaphone exhausts on his, My partner doesn't. I can hear my neighbour's bike coming from 3 streets away and I call my partner's the stealth bike. Or the Ninja. (It's real name as far as I'm concerned is Jazz Hands but that's another story). ;-)

Edited by ebichu64

I used to hear the TV's buzz. Either that noise has gone now, with flatscreen TVs, or I just don't hear those high pitches any more.

I have quite sensitive hearing and I tend to work out what the source of a noise is and put it on a plan in my head.

I find intermittent noises worse than constant ones because a constant one is predictable and can be masked out if it is not too loud.

Often when others in the office are on the phone I can't hear myself think, but I do use ear plugs sometimes and they help a lot. The orange ones (3 pairs) from Superdrug are good; I sometimes use them when I have a lie-in. I didn't find the ones from Boots much use at all as their foam is not so dense.

I could hear my older PC from downstairs but the new one is nice and quiet :)

By contrast my hearing of conversations is not selective enough in a pub. Perhaps everything just gets amplified as a cacophony. I try to lip-read to help with this.

Mark