Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

Toilet training

Hi,

Jack is doing really well at school with toilet training, he now wears pants and hasnt needed to change in to clean ones at all. But at home hes not doing as well and is often wetting himself. At school they take him every 10 mins to the toilet and sit him on, that isnt always practical for me... i have 4 children and cant do that when were out and about anyway. Also still bit problems with sleep, he was awake till 2 am last night :( and very demanding and rude in how he speaks :( not sure what to do, feels like were doing something wrong no matter how hard me and his dad try!!!

Hi Noskcaj

I can't remember if you've seen anyone for continence advice or not? I know this came up before and it's really good to hear that there are times that Jack is dry! However, if the school are taking him to the toilet as frequently as they are then I would suggest that they are 'catching' him and it might not be necessarily that he is recognising he needs the toilet. Is there any way he communicates to let you know that he might be needing a wee? For instance, my son jiggles about, can't seems to concentrate and makes 'funny' noises. I can ask him if he is needing to go to the toilet and often he says 'No' so I'm not convinced that he always knows when he needs to go although at other times he asks to go, often when he is desperate. So, a lot of the time even if he says 'No' or is a bit unhappy about it, I tell him I'm taking him anyway and he can be pretty relieved when he pees!

It felt like a backward step to put my son back in nappies to poo in but we decided to do this some time ago but only again if there are 'signs' he might need to poo. This is because he refuses to poo in the toilet and after 2 months of hell with he and I literally at screaming point because I was determined to get him fully trained, it was a case of choosing our battles and trying to get things calm again. Normally, he goes in nappies after dinner because this is the 'normal' time he goes but it can be straight after school. We don't call them nappies though, we call them 'poo pants' so he can distinguish them from his 'normal' pants and they are only for pooing in and for overnight in case of accidents.

Maybe there are times when you could use the compromise of nappies, if you are out and about and it won't confuse Jack. It could be he is wearing 'out and about' pants or something. If you are trying to juggle the other kids and deal with other behaviours Jack has, this might just take the pressure off. Other times like in the house try to take him 10-15 minutes after he's had a drink for example or when it 'looks' like he might need to go. Remember that he might not really know himself! I try to keep a close eye on what my son eats and drinks and at what times to try to keep some regularity and to try to predict when things might happen. I know this might be tricky for you but it could be worth a shot!

Lynda :)

I had a nightmare with my son. He was 4 by the time he got it. We did the usual reward charts, let him choose his big boy pants, he even had kando wipes that could not be used by anyone else - which he liked. Seemed to take forever. We used to have to potty in the living room, but found that by putting it in the bathroom where the real toilet is helped as it apeared he was getting muddled (you go for a wee in the bathroom not the living room) also encouraged him to try on his mini loo when I / Dad was going (trying to make it more normal for him). Luckily he got it just before starting Nursery.

We have had continence advice from HV and school nurse but the advice is basic and is just to keep on trying and use a reward chart, he doesnt understand the reward chart though. Hes doing well in school still (apart from yesterday) but at home/car/out and about im afraid ive mostly resorted back to pull ups because he is having a lot of accidents at home and im constantly cleaning the carpet, and when were out i cant always get him to a toilet on time and he just doesnt tell me when he needs to go. Hes usually to busy to remember he needs to go and will wet himself. Im sure it will come eventually though, still wet at night. Hes been better at sleeping the last week though, going to bed at about 10.30 pm :D