Sign in to follow this  
GRP1919

My doubtful life story

My name is Gareth, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS) at 7, am approaching 29 years old and live in Suffolk with my dearly beloved parents. I have a lovely desirable sister 2½ years my senior. I am struggling to make friends, thus sometimes feeling fragile. I do not have a girlfriend – I often struggle massively to find the right one. Personally, I do not really like Facebook or rival networks. I currently lack employment history and often ponder what to do about it.

I am doing a “Foundation Degree (FdA) in Travel and Tourism Management”. I enrolled in September 2011 and have struggled on the course since. I think the problem with a place on such a course is that it does not guarantee one any capital at all. Fortunately, the college has a very thoughtful amenity for autistic students – The Rugroom – which means a lot to me. Some Rugroom staff members are exceptionally kind and pleasant, and many of its students are very interesting.

I have a long-term passion for travelling and touring. My favourite part of the UK is the counties of Hampshire and Dorset. My favourite overseas country is definitely France. There are many other places I like to visit, such as the rural stretches of Essex; Northumberland National Park; the great lakes of Sweden; Atlanta, Georgia, USA; and Chicago, Illinois, USA. I am waiting to make my debut in places like Denmark; Italy; South Africa; and China.

I very frequently follow current affairs, insistently with the quality broadsheets, such as The Times, The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian. I am heavily obsessed with politics and economics. I love my fiction and creative arts, such as The Forsyte Saga (John Galsworthy) and The Stranger’s Child (Alan Hollinghurst). I love pets – I tend to relate very well to dogs and cats. I like horses, but they seldom have time for affection. I currently have two brown and white mice named Silky and Acorn, of which I think the world! Their ‘dear little fur coats’ are just so uplifting!

Even after all these years of personal and social development, after my deep, dark, isolated, stormy and turbulent past, I am still convinced I have a very high mountain to climb! I usually find it impossible to literally see a light at the end of the tunnel. It could be so many years yet before I finally get the hang of life itself. Issues of life in general well and truly are causing me misery and distress nowadays. I often feel I have no true prospect or purpose and so a very limited life to get on with.

I would be delighted to hear anything from anybody. You can use whatever language you feel comfortable with.

Kind Regards

Gareth.

Edited by Lyndalou

I would think you have so much you could give to the world, you have hard time in the past and I am sure you would know what you should of had back then, use this to find your way there are so many out there that don't have anyone to tell them how to talk to the kids who are just making there way in life,you could be the one to help them and by doing this you will find your place in life and get the feeling you did something that many others could not, pm me any time you want a chat,

Hi Gareth

Welcome to the forum and for your introduction. It's nice to know a bit about you and hope you enjoy your time here. I've edited your post (slightly) as it's best not to give out too much personal information as this forum is open to non-members to view as well as members.

Best Wishes

Lynda :)

Hi Gareth, welcome I'm sure you will make some good friends on here, look forward to hearing more from you :-)

Hello Gareth and welcome. I enjoy travel - my favourite place in the UK is Suffolk and I go there at least once a year. You are fortunate to live in Stowmarket.My favourite overseas country is India. It would be good to hear about some of theplaces you have visited.

L : )

I would think you have so much you could give to the world, you have hard time in the past and I am sure you would know what you should of had back then, use this to find your way there are so many out there that don't have anyone to tell them how to talk to the kids who are just making there way in life,you could be the one to help them and by doing this you will find your place in life and get the feeling you did something that many others could not, pm me any time you want a chat,

I thank you very much for your kind response, Heather.

I appreciate your confidence in me, which does bring some true meaning to my life :) Kids like those in your life constantly remain deep inside my heart. I simply have not enough room on my conscience to leave them to sink deep like I sadly did, as a result of minimal support for my special needs. Like I said, I am always there for you and the kids in your life whenever you need anything like moral support. Hope to hear from you soon :)

Gareth.

Hello Gareth, welcome to the forum. Like you I live in Suffolk, and like travelling. Good luck with your course :)

Hi Mooni :) This is very welcoming :) So whereabouts in Suffolk do you live? I live in Stowmarket (between Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds). Are there any particular tourist destinations you favour?

Yes, despite my current problems on my course, I have no intention whatsoever of abandoning my studies. I can adequately handle my radical challenge.

Hope to hear from you soon :)