SidiousUK

Age discrimination

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted and the following may explain why.

I recently bought myself a new puppy as the other dog is getting on a bit and is not going to last much longer.

I have had dogs in my life since I was a baby (both pets and working dogs such as police dogs) and the pup and I are really enjoying our walks and weekend "dog club"

It has suddenly struck me that the only time I am happy leaving the house is with the dog so I thought I would go and look for a way in which he can be registered as an assistance dog.

Well - the age old problem (pardon the pun)

No one seems to offer the assistance program for adults with autism.

There are schemes for children with autism and you have to have one of their dogs and not your own.

It occurs to me that no one with austism seems to be expected to live past 18 as a lot of services are not availalbe to adults.

Blatant discrimination!!

Any way semi-rant over.

I was hoping that someone on the forums may be able to point me int he right direction in getting my pup registered as an assistance dog so I can go out more and to a variey of different places/shops

Thanks in advance

Sidious

Try 'dogs4disabled' or 'canine partners' as they are the assistance dogs companies that im aware of hope it works out for you.

Thanks Trekster.

Biggest problem I have is that I am not considered "a child" as I am well over 18 and I also suffer from no physical disabilities.

I did speak to one organisation and they said it would have to be one of their dogs and I could not use my own.

I already have 2 dogs, one very old and my puppy so another pup would be out of the question.

I'd love a dog that I could take to work, only reason I can't have one at the moment really. The other problem I have is whether work will accept it giving the fact I'm not blind or deaf.