Sign in to follow this  
nysnanna

Place offered by SEN school for September

After a long battle for a stat. assessment we finally got a proposed statement for our grandson. Of course it was not worth the paper it was written on and we have had it amended twice. It is not yet finalised but we have viewed the LA SEN school that is now a school for ASD students. We felt confident that this school could meet his needs but were told it was full, but the SEN officer felt that they could negotiate a place for him.

The head of the school visited our boy at his mainstream on Monday and he visited the SEN school this morning. The visit went well and this afternoon the SEN officer phoned to say the head had been in touch and they were offering him a place starting September with a transition beginning 1st July.

As the statement is due to be finalised on April 1st and the fact that our grandson is making no progress at all I said that I was not happy that he had to wait a whole term to start and that I did not think that a 3 week transition before a 6 week holiday was enough for him.

The SEN officer tried to tell me that as he had a statement in place his current school would have to meet his needs during the next term, but they have not been able to do so over the last year and a half.

Eventually she said she would arrange a transition meeting with ourselves, the new school, current school and EP to see what could be done.

I know that if dont agree the statement and it goes to appeal that it will take much longer but it doesnt feel right that he should have to wait that long. I am worried that he will just give up with his current school and that he will have too long to worry and become anxious about starting the new school.

Any suggestions about how I handle this next stage would be appreciated. I got the impression that she felt we should be grateful he'd got the place and not cause a fuss about having to wait. I feel he should have had the place a long time ago without all the stress and worry.

Thanks

Tereaa

I agree. He needs a graduated approach into his new school. If he remains where he is and you don't appeal you could find the LA suddenly decide that as he has "coped" for the rest of this academic year that they now no longer feel he needs to move to this new school. Is the SEN school named in part 4 of the Statement. Is he Statement now finalised?

Have a look at this document and go through the Statement with a fine toothcomb. There should be no ambiguous or vague wording of his needs or the provision to meet those needs. No words like "access to", "as required" "when necessary" "significantly more" "will be referred to xxxx if school have concerns" etc.

Here is the link to a document you should read through and check that the Statement is legally binding http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/Resources/ACE/advice%20booklets/GettingTheStatementRight%20Mar2011.pdf

I would suggest that when the Statement is finalised, if your son is not on a graduated inclusion to his new school that you appeal automatically.

Edited by Sally44