Sign in to follow this  
Brook

Eating outside updated a year on!!!

Hi all,

I'm new here, my six yr old son (ASD), has developed a phobia about people eating in the street, (well I think its a phobia, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me :D ).

If we are out at the shops and I buy him & his little brother some sweets, he starts to say to his brother "you cant eat it now, not outside", well, you all know what a two year old would think of that :rolleyes: , then when he starts eating it my eldest really becomes stressed, he starts shouting "I cant watch, stop him mum", he then turns away, he has even layed flat out on the floor in the shopping precinct.

If anyone walks past us eating something in the street, he immediately spots it, and points to them, he then gets a bit stressed and says "mum look", I have said to him that its okay to eat in the street, and if the people are hungry then they will do it, his reply is,

"but its scary" :unsure:

I am really hoping someone comes along with something similar to this, PLEASE :wacko::wacko:

Brook :D

Edited by Brook

Hi Brook, and welcome to the forum :) .

No, I haven't come across this particular one, although my daughter has lots of issues to do with eating: doesn't like eating in front of others, doesn't like the noises people make when they eat, so tends to eat alone.

Was your son told on a particular occasion that he couldn't take food outside, and could only eat it in the dining room (at school maybe?) He may have interpreted this as an absolute rule and it worries him to see others apparently breaking it?

That's the only reason I can think of - probably completely wrong!

K

Hi Kathryn, thanks for the welcome :)

It's not so much actually 'eating outside' although thats what I named the post :wacko:

As he will happily sit in the garden eating, or go out on picnics. It seems to be more of a case of when people are eating when walking about in the street or up the town.

He really does get very distressed about it, almost to the point that he cant bare to even look :unsure: even the sight of someone munching on a packet of crisps in the town can cause him stress.

I can normally pinpoint the reasons for him becoming stressed over something, but this one has certainly got me perplexed :wacko:

Thanks

Brook :)

Okay, this post is over a year old :huh: and I'm not new to the forum,

but we are still having the same probs with people eating outside :blink: .

Went into town with my son the other day and he went balistic because a man

walked by eating a bag of chips!! my son threw his hands to his head and yelled

"Oi man, you cant eat outside" he then started to get more stressed and rather

louder and shouted "youre stupid, youre stupid eating outside". :(

I calmed him down and gently asked him 'why' he didn't like people eating outside,

his reply was "because it makes my stomach go funny and it hurts my feelings

and it is scary", well the scary part he was saying over a year ago.

I told him that it was okay for people to eat outside and that lots of people get

takeaways etc..... but I'm afraid I fuelled him even more and he ended up

shouting out all sorts of odd things about people eating outside.

It sounds like a phobia to me, but he is quite happy to eat a picnic, but when people

are eating in the town etc.... he goes to peices.

And he still 'cant look' if his little brother eats a bar of chocolate when we are out. :blink:

He's fine if he eats it in the shop, but outside is a definite no no!

Well, what do you make of all that :blink:

Brook :D

I wonder if someones told him its dirty or he's worried about germs or perhaps choking, maybe someone at school has said something.

Its often very hard to discover where these things come from, have you tried a social story, maybe with photos of people eating outside, explaining why some people need to do this, people get hungry when they are busy shopping etc. but also explaining that its ok as it wont harm them and thats its acceptable etc

do the children at school eat outside at playtime? does this bother him or is it just in the street that it worries him

I can't think of any right now but maybe someone else can? Are there any kids fairytales nursery rhyms(sp?) or metaphors that would sound bad on the subject of eating in public? or maybe sometime when he was eating a fly or something landed on his food - mmh - though he will eat outside in some circumstances- Is it alwasy when someone is walking and eating cause I remember an advert of a bloke walking into a lamppost cause he was busy doing something else can't remeber if it was eating or reading though!

Also if you walk and eat it can get a bit messy - just some thoughts that can maybe help ask him more specfic questions - though I know that isn't easy.

Anyway I hope you can find an answer.

take care

Lorraine

Hi Brook, and welcome to the forum :) .

No, I haven't come across this particular one, although my daughter has lots of issues to do with eating: doesn't like eating in front of others, doesn't like the noises people make when they eat, so tends to eat alone.

Was your son told on a particular occasion that he couldn't take food outside, and could only eat it in the dining room (at school maybe?) He may have interpreted this as an absolute rule and it worries him to see others apparently breaking it?

That's the only reason I can think of - probably completely wrong!

K

For years my son had a terror of eating outside. It was impossible to go on picnics or days out, he would get in a terrible state and we'd end up having to eat our sandwiches in the car. He would rather go without than eat anything outside. We eventually found out that this had to do with insects. He was terrified of insects getting on his food and him eating them or flies putting germs on his food. He'd watched some innocent Tom and Jerry cartoon where some ants or wasps or something had gotton onto the food and then Tom had eaten it and that's what started it off! He did eventually grow out of it though.

Good luck.

~ Mel ~

Sorry I've got absolutely nothing useful to add or advise. It does sound like a phobia and one you could mention to CAMHS consultant if he has one?

I'm wondering if he has every met my ex MIL :lol: She was appalled if anyone ate outside and she also thinks it's wrong to go to the pics on a Sunday :blink:

Flo'

hello my dd6 aspergers is like this but only when people are eating on the tv she will say trun it over i feel sick i dont know why she dose this but it must be hard for you becouse we can trun the tv over all the best jill

My thought would be either germs, flies etc or a combination of a few together. And the thought of that makes him feel sick. But there is also that many of our little guys and girls on the spectrum have set rules where they thinks something should and be shouldn't done, kind of like routine really. Everything having a place and time. For your little guy might just be that he sees it as the wrong place. Maybe you could try it by giving him something small outside first to reassure him it will be ok. Little steps.

I agree with Flora and I think that CAMHS would be the best place to seek advice about this. I do know that these things can become HUGE issue for some people and not only those on the spectrum. We have kids in our group who can not bear to watch anyone eat anywhere so that's how bad it can become. One child locks himself in his wardrobe to eat.

I suppose you could try a social story pointing out that some people like to eat when they are outside but if it's a phobia then it really needs specailst help.

Oracle

Hi Brook,

I wish I could help you with this but I can't - because I hate watching people eating outside as well - and I'm a 38 yr old NT ! I especially can't bear people eating in the sunshine - it makes my skin crawl. It used to be difficult as a youngster with my mates abroad on hols - their hangover cure was always a fry-up at a pavement cafe ! Fried egg in the sunshine was enough to make me do a runner.

I'm not sure your son won't always be annoyed by it but perhaps as he matures he will find stategies to deal with it.

Thanks all ;)

I have tried many times to explain 'why' people eat outside and that it's okay, and he agrees

and says he knows and can talk quite calmly about it UNTIL he actually see's someone doing it

then there's hell to pay. :blink:

I dont think he would be bothered by other people getting germs through eating outside,

(although I could be wrong of course :wacko: ) but observing his reaction to others eating

outside I also dont think it's because he thinks it's the wrong place as I'm sure he would be

able to tell me if it was that, he becomes hysterical at the sight of it and starts to shout abuse

at the 'eater' :tearful: he covers his eyes, turns his back on them and gets really stressed,

continually saying 'I cant look I cant look'.

If I buy him sweets he will NOT eat them until he gets home, he used to be like this with drinks

but he will now sit in the town and have a drink.

I really have racked my brains as to what might have stemmed this and really appreciate all of

your suggestions and experiences, the fact that he says it 'scares' him makes me think that it is

a phobia, as he does use the word 'scared' in it's right context.

So if youre ever walking along quite happily munching on something and a kid starts hurling

abuse at you about eating, then it's more than likely us :rolleyes::D .

If I ever find out I'll let you know. :unsure::unsure::D

Brook ;)

Edited by Brook

Just having a think about it and thought alot about what others have said but could it be due to notices and stuff in towns about people putting rubbish in bins and so many horrible stinky bins about, maybe he hates the idea that we don't live in clean towns and people do litter the streets and so therefore in his eyes it would be better to stick to the rule that you don't eat when in town and therfore when he sees others doing it it causes him to have a meltdown.

He's made that rule in his head and now wants everyone to enforce it.

Maybe do a very simple social story saying sometimes people like to eat out..........they may eat in the park(picture of poeple eating in park, they may eat in the garden (picture again) and so on with about 6 different places where people may eat at.

Or how about asking him to draw where he thinks it is ok for people to eat from that he may draw other pictures and when you question him about them it may come out what it is he finds scary.

>:D<<'>

Hi Brook,

Haven't had this particular problem although as the others say we've had problems with eating in front of people, not liking to look at people when they are eating, flies/insects, noises etc.

Only thing I could think of was to do with litter etc, from crumbs dropping from the food, or dropping food on the floor, not having a bin to put any rubbish in - even as much as worrying about doing two things at once - i.e. walking and eating at the same time.

Take care,

Jb

Thanks for all your input. ;)

Well, I have asked him again and he said "I dont like people eating outside because it might make

me want to do it and I dont want to", but he couldn't say why he didn't want to so some of your

suggestions may well apply.

Brook :)

Hi Brook,

Just seen my post on this thread welcoming you to the forum - how time flies.. :lol:

Sorry you're still battling with this one, I do hope you find a solution one day.

K x

Hi Brook,

Just seen my post on this thread welcoming you to the forum - how time flies.. :lol:

Sorry you're still battling with this one, I do hope you find a solution one day.

K x

Hi Kathryn,

Time certainly does fly :D

It's great really that I can look back on a year of posting and suddenly think 'oh I'd forgot about

that' etc... but this one aint budging :blink::blink::D

Brook