Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

ASD and stomach/bowel problems

Hi sorry if TMI but need to ask about this,

My son has been sent home from school on 3 occasions with "diarrhoea" but on each occasion has been perfectly well once home... so it is annoying me as not only does it mean my dad has to pick him up at awkward times but also that he then has to stay off for 48 hours after the "diarrhoea" incident so he then ends up missing 2 days of school! after the 2nd time I explained to his school that he often has loose stools and that they happen randomly and usually dont mean hes unwell. But today he was sent home again for the same reason....

I have heard that people with Autism can often have issues with there digestive system and or immune system, it this true? Im thinking to talking to the school again and if its true i will explain the above to them as a possible cause for his "diarrhoea"

Thanx

Hi yes it can be common for people with autism to have digestive/bowel issues. You do need to talk to the school to explain the situation.

Ok thanx, ill look up some info about it and e-mail it to the head teacher or print it off and hand it to them and explain what i think is happening :) Hes missing a lot of school because of it, those 3 times add up to a week of missed school!

Oh no! This sounds like a toughie. As Jeanne says, digestive issues can be a part of having an ASD but it doesn't affect everyone is my understanding. However, I think that it may be worth considering that the bowel problems COULD be anxiety based and/OR have a physiological reason. Fear can loosen your bowels and also make you pee yourself.

No its not a stress induced thing with him, its just a problem hes had since he was tiny I thought he would grow out of it but he didnt. It happens totally randomly. School have got back to me today saying that he must come home and stay home for 48 hours every time it happens... I feel like responding with **** off, because he didnt have diarrhoea in the first place! They also said that it was a big issue for the school to have to deal with this so called diarrhoea because it means they have to change his clothes, clean him up and it takes away 2 teachers time from the other students... Well im sorry my son has learning difficulties and needs extra attention/help!!! They are not meeting his needs, im very worried :/ i know its not the schools fault and its the council who are not providing the help he needs but the school should be fighting harder to get him the help he needs and shouldnt make me and his dad, or Jack feel he is a burden to the school :(

Edited by Noskcaj86

Has Jack ever been under anyone for his bowel problems, like a Paediatritian? For instance, have they given any idea how you could manage his 'episodes' and what could be causing it? I can totally understand why you are so frustrated with the school being unhelpful - it's really disruptive for you and Jack. Have you thought about getting him tested for any food intolerences?

I'm not sure what else to suggest really but are you still considering looking into getting Jack placed at another school?

Yes im still thinking of looking for a better school for him, but hes only been there 5 months so maybe its to soon and ive not given the school enough time to deal with his needs yet? But hes been there 5 months and so far they have not met his needs, possibly not there fault but the councils for not supplying the help needed. Luckilty its parents evenning soon and we have today been given an IEP review date to i will see how they go and go from there i guess. Im trying my best, i just want him in the best possible school to give him the best chance to meet his potential. He had milk allergy as a baby and was on prescription soya formula untill 2 and a half but that was for eczema not bowel problems, although i guess that doesnt mean it wont be causing them now. STRESSED OUT!! I wish i knew more how the SEN system works so I could challenge it better. Ive never had to deal with these things before, its all new to me since he started school so im feeling a bit lost trying to navigate through the system alone :(

Leo had this problem he went from very loose stools to being very constipated

We used to give various treatments that seemed to make us lurch even worse from one scenario to another

It is worth seeing a paediatrician and also maybe a dietician as they may be able to suggest small changes that can help

LisaKaz

Mine suffered bad constipation in primary years, he exasperated it by refusing to use school toilets up to P6. We had the school nurse on the case , they can have runny looking poo and still be very constipated up in the bowel.We were advised to get him drinking plenty, use movical as well, it helps them to push.we stopped dairy milk as well and use soya milk instead, we also try to eliminate aspertarmine, which is a sweetner in diet food, because it can make them even more hyper.Mine has a limited diet, so I hide veggies in smooth soup on his mince and rice dinner., which his choice for a hot meal.He won't eat anything else for dinner.Have you sought medical help? Is there a school nurse you can see? Explore all options with the medical people and get them to refer you to a paediatric/physcologist.and a food nutritionist if necessary.

Im copy/pasting the e-mail i receivied today from Jacks head teacher, not sure what/if to reply. She is saying there is nothing that they can do to help with my sons toileting problem at present to he must be sent home for 48 hours if he has a loose stool. She also says there is no EP cover STILL even though here you must give 15 weeks notice to take maternity leave!! Please advise me on what/if to reply to this e-mail...

"I was at an Additional Learning Needs meeting yesterday and there are no plans in place yet to cover ***** ****** maternity leave but I assure you that Jack will be the first to be seen when we are given a visit.

As regards the loose motion, unfortunately we do not have the expertise to say whether a one off lose motion is a bug or part of Jack’s medical / SEN needs. Obviously unless there is another loose motion / sickness later then we would not know. If we keep him in school to check then he may have passed any bug on to others by the time the second bout of diarrhea happens! This is a difficult situation and the advice that has been passed back to me from the Health and Safely department (it is from National Guidelines) is the same as we have previously passed on to you ,and it has been adopted as school policy for a number of years.

The statementing processs , which has not been started for Jack yet, is a long process so we need to sort this for the short term period. Even when a child is diagnosed and statmented it does not automatically mean that they will get extra funding!

I am out of the office all day today- I have just popped in before I go on a course, but I will contact ************* again on Monday and ask her to come and do another risk assessment. I have forwarded your concerns on to **************, head of AND. On Monday I will look at our provision for SEN and see if there is any way we can provide some one to one for Jack from our current delegated budget. This will not however help with your major concern, which I feel is a health and safety issue."

I dont know what to think, are they trying there best of fobbing me off here??

Why now after 5 months are they only just looking at providing a 1:1 with the schools existing budget? They said 1 week after he started there (5 months ago) that he needed a 1:1!

Milk could be the issue, are they giving him milk at school? I know I was colic as a toddler but now I'm lactose intolerant which makes sense, might make a difference if the switch also food they buy may contain milk so they need to check carefully

Edited by Special_talent123

Jack was on soya formula milk up until 2 and a half years old, but hes been off it 2 years now and his eczema hasnt returned, although i gess it could be causing some bbowel peoblems. Im planning to take him to doctors next week to get him assessed for bowel issues so will ask about milk allergy then.

Also i do try to avoid sweeteners and food additives as much as i can, although no idea what goes in to the school meals! But at home we are careful to give them food thats a snatural as possible, just a shame i cant afford organic fruit and veg :( otherwise i would be giving all organic to him.

Find out what the schools food list is. have u noticed what time a day he getting these problems, because if its around lunchtime then it does make sense. I would get a menu and find out if any of those are the cause to his problems. Could there be possible he is struggling with gluten if gluten is on the menu a lot a day.