Sign in to follow this  
dianaappleyard

Does your husband have Asperger's syndrome?

I am writing a feature for the Daily Mail about living with a husband with Asperger's syndrome. This will be a very sympathetic feature, and I am happy to email you the copy for checking. I do not mind if you have appeared in another article before, and we will pay you for taking part. The feature is about how you cope living with a husband with Asperger's, and we will need to photograph you together, but I don't mind changing your names or where you live, if you like.

Thanks so much

Diana Appleyard.

Edited by matzoball
personal contact information

Hi Diana,

I've removed your email for safety purposes - if forum members are interested is it okay that they private message you or message you through your site?

Cheers,

Matzo

Can I ask? Why is this piece exclusively about living with a husband with Aspergers? Why not a partner of either sex who live with AS or same-sex couples? I would hope that any piece would show both the positives and negatives and explain what living with AS is like in sympathetic terms from the standpoint of both the partner and the person with AS. There are those who have successful partnerships and those who don't and having difficulties (like in every partnership) may not simply boil down to whether or not one of the people within the relationship has a condition which stereotypically (often) assumes that they cause their partner distress or makes them a difficult person to be around.

Best Wishes

Lynda :)

Edited by Lyndalou

Me and my fiancé both have Aspergers :D

I agree with Lynda though, if anything were to be written, it shouldn't be focussing on anything negative. We get enough of that.

The way it reads, feels like you mean to point out how difficult it can be - which is unfair :(

Edited by Willow-Tree

I don,t feel comfortable about this.I cannot understand why the media likes to harp on about Aspergers and Autism.There is no difference between a couple where one partner has AS,.............. and another couple,............... where both could be considered neuro typical.All relationships are unique and no couple are ever like another.Diana can I ask you are you married to someone who has a dx ?

I'm afraid to say that the words "sympathetic" and "Daily Mail" do not go hand in hand - particularly when it comes to Aspergers/autism!