minerva

CV Help!! Please!!

Hiya,

I used to be on here quite a lot but I haven't been around for some time so you will probably not remember me! My son has Asperger Syndrome and we've had a pretty rough ride, education, health, social services, family and anyone else who could let us down....did! In a huge way! He even missed 4.5 years of school altogether.

ANYWAY!! He is now 19 years old, and due to start university in September....yes! He IS awesome.....yes! So am I! :-)

(Keep fighting people, you WILL get there in the end, even if you're exhausted by then!)

So for the last couple of years I have been studying Law! I am intending to work in Educational Law, so I can help families like ours in the future.

I am currently looking for work experience. I received an email back from the solicitors that assisted us with our problems. I would really love to be based there!!

The problem I have is trying to word my "experience" from the last 20 years so that it sounds positive rather than negative and relevant to Law. Somehow, since it's mine, I don't seem to be able to!!

Can anyone help please?

When I have been looking at hiring people without much experience (new grads) I tend to look for interest and general ability.

Since your interest is in educational law then I would try to bring out what has led you to that interest, and you can particularly talk about what draws you to that particular practice - there should be a lot of common ground for them to discuss with you at interview. Talk about what you've

For the experience I would just keep it factual - but try to draw out from it what is motivating you to go into educational law. Bits you have found difficult are not negative, but reasons why you want to help others in the same situation, hence motivating factors.

I think the worst thing you can do with a CV is over-sell yourself, so don't exaggerate and don't put anything down that you are not prepared to be questioned about during any interview process.

Thanks for your response. My problem isn't with lack of experience as luckily I have continued to work in voluntary roles throughout my life, including in the legal sector.

I have been told I will need to highlight the reason why I havent been in full time paid employment sinse 1993 though! So somehow I need to make caring for a child with Aspergers into a CV style job description and I have no idea where to start with that.

The CV is complete apart from that bit :-(

Hi Minerva

Keep your CV to a max of 2 pages. Keep it to the point and start with your last (relevant) employer first.

Don't write to much about "caring for my child with Aspergers." on the CV. It might be a big deal to you but educational law covers far more than special needs etc (and I'm certainly no expert on this subject). If the prospective employer is remotely interested in your experiences, s)he will ask you at the interview.

Good luck!

Who gave you that advice?

I would say the opposite, the CV is about your work so I would say there was no need to mention your reason there. You may be asked during the interview, but I think simply stating that you were caring for your disabled child should be fine.