Sign in to follow this  
SidiousUK

New charity/project

Hi All

Following on from my previous post

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/29569-age-discrimination/

I was still unable to find anyone who would help me with either training my puppy or offering me a new dog as an assistance dog.

I decided to do something about it and I have started my own charity which will address the issue to adults with no physical disability being discriminated against.

I have a number of business on board that will allow the dogs in my charity access to their premises.

Our first dog jacket is at the printers having our logo printed upon it.

Don't know if publishing links is allowed on the forum, but you can visit our website at

www.paad.org.uk

It is a very simple site as I am not a very good designer but at least I had a go.

I hope that my charity will benefit others

SidiousUK

Had a look and it's great - really clear and simple and easy to understand and access! All the best sites tend to be like that :)

It's brilliant you have went out there and done something so wonderful and positive! Good luck with it!

Sidious

What a brilliantly proactive thing to do!

Will donations be primarily for start-up costs/advertising etc?

Lynda :)

Thank you both for the comments.

Donations will be just for providing the dog If the person does not have a suitable on. A good dog can cost quite a bit. Mine was £450 and that was cheap for a decent one.

Other costs will be for the harness. I have bought one for my dog and that was £125

The dog jacket and printing £14.00

Initial vets fees -£45 for all initial innoculations

Public liability insurance - Not sure yet how much it would cost for me to add another dog to the policy, but it has cost £65.00 to have a policy for my dog.

We would have other costs like petrol to travel to see our prospective clients and admin costs like the website hosting.

So far I have funded everything out of my own pocket. My pockets are deep but unfortunatly not bottomless.

If any of you would like to help raising funds, please let me know.

I took my dog around the shops last weekend and loads of people were stopping me and commenting on how beautiful the dog was and what sort of assistance he provides.

Some people didn't believe that I had a spectrum disorder and my answer was that this is exactly why I am trying to address what can be called and invisible disability.

I really hope I can help others and do something worth while with my life before I shuffle off this mortal coil

This sounds like a really well thought through proposition. If it can raise awareness at the same time as provide assistance to those who need it then more's the better I say! Would you be considering monthly donations in future as well as one-offs? I give a small donation to Dogs Trust on a monthly basis as I do to a couple of other (human) charities close to my heart and I would definitely consider this.

:)

Any donation would help LyndaLou.

I would ideally like enough money in the account so that when someone requests a dog I don't have to say no to them due to lack to funds.

I know I can't have puppies sitting in a filing cabinet, but to have the money availalbe to go looking for one for someone would make me feel so happy.

I am currently trying to set up a bank account for the charity but it is more difficult if you are not a registered charity and to become a registered charity you need an income of 5K or more per annum.

So far we have a £10.00 donation and two people are doing a sponsored walk for us.

I must say I am impressed by people generosity as I don't personally know either of the people.

Please pass the word around regarding this project. The more people that know it is there the better

Take care

Sidious

I'll be in touch shortly Sidious :)

Any support would be appreciated as I have never done anything like this before.

I have been incontact with assistance dogs international and asked how I become listed on their website.

It is also worth noting that I have spoken to some of the organisations listed on the ADI website and during conversations with them it is plain to see that they know little of autism even though they say they will provide dogs to people with spectrum conidtions and seem to think that when you reach 18 you suddenly stop having autism.

Sidious