Sign in to follow this  
sam020586

worn down

Hi All,

Still not diagnosed yet, we are awaiting a consultation with the speech and language therapist now though, so at least tracks are finally being laid lol.

My angel has worn me out with his anxiety of anything over a year old being used, moved, or even cleaned! It seems now that everything i touch/move during the day the constant question comes up. And his resistance to allowing something over a year old to be moved or changed in any way is truelly phenominal!

I need a new fridge but i have a feeling i am going to have to keep the old fridge freezer either in the kitchen or in the shed he doesnt even like it if the magnets are moved! We recently had a new fuse box, and wiring for lights fitted, he was so upset at these new things he asked very politely if he could keep the bits they were replacing, the guys were lovely and said ok, but this just adds to the ever decreasing space issue i have!

I home educate him too and he is even refusing to do books that are over a year old, or use paints, pens etc.

Many have suggested that i 'thin' things that he may not notice out during time he is away from me.... but thats only 3 hours on a sunday ( and wise that he is, when he returns to the house he checks to ensure that everything is as he has left it!!).

Am not really sure what to do... IF there is anything i can do to reassure him that somethings are ok to be moved/changed... its a different story though if its a change HE wants to make!!!

I am sure i'm not the only one of us with a child resistant to changes in the home environment.... i have to confess to letting his way dominate recently (months!)which has probably just made me trying to get on top of it now worse for me!

But taking pressure off such things has made his life so much more stress free i just dont know what to do for the best anymore! :wacko:

Not sure if i'm looking for advice or just a blurb! Feel better already just for getting it off my chest, thanks to anyone listening heh heh and of course any helpful hints more than welcome!!

Sam (020586)

thank you Becky! I havent had any experience with social stories as yet!, i will look into them, must admit the idea of it not coming directly from me may be a good approach! seems like whatever i say just makes things worse then i get cross cause i cant do the simplest of tasks! :wacko:

thank again x

Hi Sam,

Kai hates change in the house too.

I had a week of stress with him when i bought a new fridge freezer which was silver (the old one was white). He screamed the place down when the men took the old one away. He ran up the drive after them begging for it back. He wanted to keep it in the shed! He did finally accept the fridge and now he likes it.

I confess to giving in to him alot, because it's such a battle all the time. However, if i do have to make any changes in the house, i try to explain it to him first. He usually gets really stressed and will go on and on about it, which drives me crazy.

Eventually though he accepts the change (after many tears and tantrums though :( ).

He also hoards everything (mostly junk), which clutters the house, so we made a deal and now his "goody box" as he calls it (i would call it a bin!) is kept out of the way in the shed.

I can't really offer any advice, but i know how you must be feeling. Keep up the good work and good luck with the assessment,

Loulou x

This sounds quite serious and maybe you need expert help. My eight year old son also hated change of any kind especially in the home. I remember making several visits to the shop where we were buying our new three piece suite from. They were very accomodating. I can not say that he welcomed the new suite with open arms but he was not too bad.He hated it if I moved an ornament of any piece of furniture. But I have to say that he became much less rigid when we took him out of school to home educate. Obsessive and compulsive behaviour can be part and parcel of autism but it can also take on a life of it's own and need to be treat seperatley.

I decided with my youngest that he could be as rigid as he wished with his own things, but not with mine, or things in the house that were not his. He did not like it but I did not think that I was doing him any favours by allowing him to dictate what was happening in the house. I have a friend who can now no longer do housework or gardening because her son will not allow her to use any of the appliances needed. The house work has to be done while her son is out. I could not live like this. Sometimes I just batton down the hatches and go for it. But if it is seriously upsetting your son then maybe you need advice from a professional.

Carole