• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
Mike_GX101

Dependence vs Independence

smileyK   

This is the personal "battle" I'm struggling to find the 'right balance' right now between being dependent on parents for their reassurance and guidance to reduce my stress /anxieties in life! yet via being independent young adult scares me surrounds me dread and fear!I panic when got to face the fear of independent head on can be 'depressing' fact of life! And not an exciting life adventure it is suppose to be! ;( XKLX

Well, I need support to do things. I was not taught a lot of things in life when i was living at home with mum so i live in a supported housing to help me learn those independence skills. I can now cook on my own although still have accidents not as fearful with using hot things again, but i doubt it be different when its a gas cooker as mum would never trust me with that. I still need a lot of help to organise my bedroom as it can get messy thats because i do not know where to put things so things go on floor especially when there is very little room to put them

smileyK   

I get so frustrated/confused when try work out how to 'tackle' way round on how to do 'own way' of independence! As so much involved! And don't like swallowing my pride and asking for help and support! ;( not easy and takes self-esteem battering and can be such draining,tiring task /challenge to face up to in the first place! I feel guilty ,bad I can't do these skills at 'my age' as feel like I'm lazy /de-motivated! - feel like I'm failure/let down XKLX

Shnoing   

Independence.

One thing though: if your own children depend on you, do you lose your independence without entering a state of dependence re. yourself?

Antolak   

Every one of us is born totally dependent upon others for all our needs. If we live long enough, every one of us will return to that state of total dependency, either in the geriatric wards of a local hospital or "in care" of one sort or another. But we don't like to think of ourselves in that way. We like to see ourselves as independent, separate and autonomous. It's one of the myths in our society.

In reality, none of us is completely independent of others. Everyone requires the services of others in the community, requires shoes, food, transport, telephones, etc, etc, which he cannot supply for himself. And that's not a bad thing at all. Mutual interdependency fuels our social and economic success as a society.

The myth of the "normal" person as independent and master of his own fate is a persistent one. But it's clearly wrong. And if we think about it, we wouldn't want everyone to be like that.

Edited by Antolak

I strive to be as independent as possible, I've always tried to do as much as I can by myself. Sometimes I do need help, especially when I've not been aware I needed help. I've had to learn a lot of life skills by myself, so I have gained independence that way. I need to depend on myself, so that I don't anxious when there is nobody around for support.

I think its healthier to be somewhere in between.